Urban Meyer on Miami Job

Advertisement
Please explain to me why UM, FSU and UF are among the least disciplined teams year in and out. Also why our players NEVER know the situation and how to react to it. It is sooo frustrating and has to be the coaching from pop warner on up.
Why don't the FL kids on out of state rosters have the same problem?

So basically, he wouldn't dare step foot in these offices to coach... I can cry now.

You could've cried 15 years ago when he was still at Utah. Meyer will always have more desirable jobs that Miami—which isn't half as desirable a gig as our fans think it is.

Advertisement
Seven D1 schools in Florida representing four different conferences, and not one competed for a conference title.

It's an interesting viewpoint if true. Have Florida high school football programs lost ground to/fallen behind the high school football programs in other populated states around the country? The state of Florida won seven national championships from 1980 to 1999, but only four from 2000 to 2019.

1000% yes. But I offer it isn't what you think why.

Just look at the demographic and population growth trends from 1950-1990. Florida was at/near the top of population adds.

Now look at 1990-2020. I suspect NC and other southern areas as a percentage, caught/passed FL.

The bigger the baby pool today, the bigger the HS athlete pool 15 years from now.

It isn't that SoFL fell off, everyone is catching up just by sheer population growth.

Advertisement
Wait...I figured it out. I forgot that Urban is a liar and always has a hidden agenda.

Urban is going to be the next coach at the U.

He tryna scare the other coaches away from Florida so when he comes in he’ll have his pick.

CFB national titles since 1983:

Florida- 11

The states of Ohio, Georgia, California and Texas combined- 5

Next.

Talk about a desperate deflection. It's the same type of attitude that dominates this forum especially from moderators during the offseason, lending to ridiculous expectations every season. I'm fairly sure Urban Meyer didn't say let's go back to 1983 and talk about overall talent level state by state beginning at that point. This guy is not looking at a handful of guys on tape. In that capacity he is visiting high school campuses all over the country, watching practice, talking to coaches, and getting an overall feel for not only individual players but how the program is run.

Comparisons and conclusions state to state are inevitable, and proper. As alway, properly applied generalities will overwhelm specifics. The desperate types here cling to long ago dusty specifics. Urban Meyer is describing the devastating generalities that translate to how these kids emerge from high school in one area compared to another.

If he had used the identical criteria but favored the Miami job, posters here would be rejoicing...and making inept assumptions toward Meyer's future.

I'm old enough to remember the Nick Kotys teams at Coral Gables during the late '60s. Those programs looked liked mini college teams. I have mentioned this many times here and previously on Rivals dating to 2004 or thereabouts. There are clips of those teams on YouTube. In recent years I started looking at current high school clips from other states, and specifically Ohio. Those programs still look like mini college teams. I mentioned that here months ago. Meanwhile the 10+ high school games I attend annually in the Miami area don't resemble that at all, other than perhaps Columbus. Every other program I see relies on sheer athleticism and unencumbered prancing touchdowns. If you sit low enough in unattended games you can hear the sideline barking and instructions. It is primitive to say the least.

I watched a great talent like Frierson at Coral Gables. But no question he was raw. He was a prancing arrogant celebratory type. I loved it because it fit the Canes mode of old. I'm certain if you placed a guy in a different program in let's say Ohio he would receive more focused disciplined training. He would be far beyond where he is right now. That's what Urban Meyer is seeing and describing. It attaches across the high school programs as a whole.

You guys are cherry picking NFL numbers from years beyond high school as if it ruins the point. Perhaps the point you don't want to accept is that the reason Canes coaching appears to be subpar is that the players they inherit are not where they should be. Guys like Saban and Meyer and Dabo have the luxury of identifying elite imports who fit their criteria not only in talent level but overall maturity and development.

Advertisement
Wait...I figured it out. I forgot that Urban is a liar and always has a hidden agenda.

Urban is going to be the next coach at the U.

He tryna scare the other coaches away from Florida so when he comes in he’ll have his pick.
AnguishedEachCurassow-max-1mb.gif

Advertisement
Makes complete sense. Urban is saying unless someone like him is coaching then we have no shot. It’s true. Look at the **** show we’ve endured with more talent in our division alone. It’s all coaching.
Miami got embarrassed by teams filled with 2 and 3 star players this season.

2020 commits from south Florida:

Clemson - 0
Alabama - 1
LSU - 1
Georgia - 1
Ohio State - 0
Oklahoma - 0

But the best teams are cleaning up in south Florida.
All those teams except for LSU have South Fla players currently on their roster.

Advertisement
Back