Urban Meyer on Miami Job

Advertisement
High school coaches in dade basically have to pay to coach.. They get paid nothing, if you are serious and talented, you either move up in rank or leave the state. GA and TX pay top coaches 100k+ some places.. You would laugh at what coaches in dade get and for that those guys are basically volunteering their time for thankless jobs.. Quality is gonna be low

I will also add, the talent is STILL here and quality.. Just is much harder also because soo many come and poach away. If you lose a 5 star true talent, only soo many of those. How would our 01 team be, if Andre johnson was at Bama and Gore was at Ole miss, etc.

Advertisement
Florida athletes are making big plays all across the country every Saturday.

Our shltty staffs are the only guys struggling to get them to consistently produce.
Thats what you see because you hear of 1 or 2 dudes that are making plays. In reality theres 1000 kids that come out of here and the percentage of them that pan out is very small.

High school coaches in dade basically have to pay to coach.. They get paid nothing, if you are serious and talented, you either move up in rank or leave the state. GA and TX pay top coaches 100k+ some places.. You would laugh at what coaches in dade get and for that those guys are basically volunteering their time for thankless jobs.. Quality is gonna be low
Truth. When I was in school (granted it was 20 years ago) coaches in our area made 3-4k added to their teacher salary. LOL

Yet EVERY SCHOOL IN THE NATION spends most of their time to recruit these kids to their programs.

"The Florida kids are really raw and tough to win with."

*Cut to this scene but it's Dabo, Saban, Kirby, Urban, Oregeron and all college coaches fighting to be the first in Dade and Broward every recruiting cycle.*

1575920436277.jpeg

I see what he's saying, but I'm not sure I agree about Florida players being developmental bc of coaching. Perhaps in terms of size and strength and conditioning, but that's about it. There's this myth out there that the coaches down here just rely on athleticism and don't know their X's and O's, and nothing can be further from the truth. Everytime one of these "developmental" high schools with the HC who's also the school's front security guard plays a school from Texas or Ohio with a HC who does nothing but coach and makes more than the principal, the Florida school seems to win.

You even see it when the big time private schools play the public powers down here. These coaches ain't dumb. They may not be the most articulate, but they know football.

What the coaches down here do know how to do is WIN, and win games across the nation, all that other **** dont matter and its all propaganda!

Advertisement
He makes some points but it was also a shot at Miami & FSU. He gave props to Lakeland high(pipeline school while he was at UF) for being a school that develop kids and didnt include UF to the glamour job list. If FSU and Miami are glamour job, so is UF.

He is 100% accurate. When you pay a varsity high school head football coach $2700-$5000 for a full year, compared to Texas and Georgia where their coaches are full time $60k plus a year. Lots of Florida schools also require you to be on staff at the school

He is 100% accurate. When you pay a varsity high school head football coach $2700-$5000 for a full year, compared to Texas and Georgia where their coaches are full time $60k plus a year. Lots of Florida schools also require you to be on staff at the school
They get even more than that in Georgia and Texas

Advertisement
They get even more than than that in Georgia and Texas
I was low balling, but showing the comparison. The DB coach makes more in those states then the head coaches in ours. Hence why the state gets very little qualified coaches.

Short version: so fl HS coaching sucks compared to higher paid coaching in other football factory areas. Not new. Our success was from making up for that with great player development by JJ and Butch and their staffs. Those teams' players came out like third year NFL players and were the official default choice. When team didn't know who to pick you always took the Cane coming out at that position because they started like a 2nd and 3 rd year play not rookie. Today, our guys go lower in draft as bargains because they are less developed than other rookies.

A lot of picks from other schools don't make it because they have no upside left. Many maxed out in HS. We use to have coaching staffs on the way to NFL jobs. Now we have guys who would have trouble coaching HC in GA.
Which is why when you pair largely underdeveloped players in terms of actual skill(not talking about talent) with non quality coaching you get the constant results we have gotten since Coker and his staff in his early years left which had multiple nfl quality assistants. We got to get back to hiring competent coaches, it’s simple

Advertisement
So south Florida talent is basically under developed coming out of high school? I do remember having a discussion here with someone saying that Florida has more talent, but Texas, Louisiana, Cali, ETC players are more developed coming out of high school.

Advertisement
Back