Urban Meyer on Miami Job

Miami is a ****** job because the admin stinks and you don’t have half the support you get at a massive state school like OSU.
100% correct,Blake James in talking about our bowl appearance commented on how are student athletes will really enjoy the
bowl experience in Shreveport.... we are DOA till we change some BOT members as well as AD dept

Advertisement
All those teams except for LSU have South Fla players currently on their roster.
schools come in a take the difference makers,,, Clemson got F.Davis, Bama Jerry Jeudy, a 5* CB UGA 5* Tyson Campbell, LSU has a commitment from a OL from St. Thomas Aquinas
thats were they clean up the cherry pick the studs.... not numbers but quality of player.

I see what he's saying, but I'm not sure I agree about Florida players being developmental bc of coaching. Perhaps in terms of size and strength and conditioning, but that's about it. There's this myth out there that the coaches down here just rely on athleticism and don't know their X's and O's, and nothing can be further from the truth. Everytime one of these "developmental" high schools with the HC who's also the school's front security guard plays a school from Texas or Ohio with a HC who does nothing but coach and makes more than the principal, the Florida school seems to win.

You even see it when the big time private schools play the public powers down here. These coaches ain't dumb. They may not be the most articulate, but they know football.

Now imagine everything you just said with Florida high school coaches who can focus on football ALL DAY LONG.

No p.e. teaching. No disciplining students as dean. No driving a forklift in the school board warehouse.

Just a laser focus on football all day long. Our players would perform even better at every level. Coaches can spend more time learning to train their staffs.

There are many great coaches in Florida, but our system keeps us from reaching our true potential.

He's right about the coaching at the High School level being much better at other regions than South Florida, that's a 100% fact.

Texas High school coaches are getting paid upwards of $100,000 a year at some of their top programs in the state & play for huge High schools in multi-million dollar stadiums with college level weight rooms.

The debate that is constantly happening over South fla players on this board is really ridiculous though. There are good football players everywhere in the country, that includes South Fla. If you hate South Fla players then I would suggest rooting for the MIAMI FLORIDA Hurricanes probably isn't a good idea lol.

Should we recruit more OOS, 100% we should, if you think there's a bunch of 5-star players from other states knocking down the door to come to Miami I think you'll be sadly disappointed when we don't land those prospects either.

The fact is, we don't get elite talent from any region let alone South Fla. The best players are going to the best programs regardless of region. The best kids in Texas are just as much going to Bama, UGA, Oh St & Notre Dame as they are staying at home to Texas, TAMU & Baylor.

Championship contending teams that spend lots of money for their recruiting budget get players from everywhere, the ones that don't, don't.

Advertisement
Urban's speaking in broad terms of football skills. not raw athleticism. He's referring to your average player, not elite Florida kids going to Alabama, UGA, Clemson, or OSU.

Not a great job but a glamour job. His reason, a lot of Florida HS players are developmental players due to the coaching they receive in High School compared to the LA, Georgia, Ohio areas. He spoke on the high school coaches in some of those areas being paid more. Paid more as we all know sometimes equals higher quality.

Could this be a reason why a lot of our players are actually better in the NFL and don’t develop as much in school. Yes, some of it is on the coaching staffs we have had over the years.

Btw, this was say on Colin Cowherd show.

Ohhhh weeeee its gone be some mad ppl in this thread

The fact they have any already disarms your argument, if they sucked so bad they wouldn't recruit them at all.

Again, what's the plan here Panama... What should we do stop recruiting South Fla? Okay, how many elite OOS prospects you think we're getting? Basically the same amount as local elite, which is none.

How many 5-star kids from Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Texas, Louisiana & elsewhere do you see us landing in the future?

That's a perfect example of a straw man. No one said they "suck so bad". I'm using facts to destroy everyone's point that the whole country fights for SFLA kids. Your response is "but Clemson has two!!!!". Great. They have 90 from other places. That's why they're a national championship program.

We can continue to hoard SFLA talent to make up 75% of our roster if you like, but we will continue to be the dumbest, rawest team in America. You people keep thinking that Tall + Fast + South Florida = talented, elite football player. All seven state teams continue to prove that narrative false.

Advertisement
That's a perfect example of a straw man. No one said they "suck so bad". I'm using facts to destroy everyone's point that the whole country fights for SFLA kids. Your response is "but Clemson has two!!!!". Great. They have 90 from other places. That's why they're a national championship program.

We can continue to hoard SFLA talent to make up 75% of our roster if you like, but we will continue to be the dumbest, rawest team in America. You people keep thinking that Tall + Fast + South Florida = talented, elite football player. All seven state teams continue to prove that narrative false.
Okay, so let's fill the team up with players from everywhere else too, we'll see how many elite OOS players are coming here.

This cycle, UGA offered 64 Florida players versus 31 Georgia prospects. The last five years Alabama has offered more Florida prospects than any other state. In 2016 + 2017, Ohio State offered 73 Florida players. The state with the second most OSU offers during that time was Georgia with 35.

Urban saying one thing and doing another. Typical for him.
I don’t think he’s saying the players aren’t worth it. My understanding, which could be incorrect but this is my take, is that they’re just underdeveloped.

But if you have the staff of a UGA, Bama, OSU, Clemson, you know you can develop them and combine nature AND nurture.

Advertisement
Well, Urban sure seemed to spend a lot of time recruiting in south florida while at OSU to say the talent here is raw and underdeveloped.

Which is why I believe it. No one is saying there aren't studs here, but the average is less developed than at one of the unholy funded Texas schools. That just means coaching them up is even more important than it already usually is, and yet we keep hiring corches.

I prefer Bush Davis's take, he stated that when you get a kid from those areas and places like Texas, they're already close to a finished product and closer to the ceiling. You get some of these South Florida kids and after they've been in a good program with a good nutrition, you get a lot more out of them.

Advertisement
South Florida has the best athletes, that is a fact.

South Florida does not develop their players to same level that other areas do, that is a fact.

These don’t have to be mutually exclusive. If they receive good coaching, they become stars.

Ask Jerry Jeudy, Amari Cooper, the Bosas, Calvin Ridley, Patrick Peterson, Devin Bush, Patrick Surtain II, Hollywood Brown, Zack Moss, DeAndre Baker, Lamar Jackson, and Sony Michel.

Now consider how many of these guys if ANY would have had the same career trajectory if they went to Miami.

Which is why I believe it. No one is saying there aren't studs here, but the average is less developed than at one of the unholy funded Texas schools. That just means coaching them up is even more important than it already usually is, and yet we keep hiring corches.
Physical development sure, I agree with him. Much easier to find elite lineman, linebackers in Ohio or Texas as they tend to be more fundamentally sound coming out of high school than mostflorida players.

Advertisement
Back