Update from this weekend

Yeah where is all this Schumann talk coming from? I dont want to be setup again like I was with Brady. Lets not throw names out there until its official. Just leads to disappointment in the end.
Cristobal and him have a pre exsiting relationship, more than Brady i think. Not certain but i think thats what i read or heard somewhere, so there is more smoke. Also UGA is preparing for playoffs so i could see him agreeing to come but don't want it announced publicly but maybe the recruits know. Maybe.

Advertisement
For the star whores, of which I am a filthy, filthy ****, Kelly, Moss, Coleman, and Stewart would get us to 226 points, which would be the 13th ranked class in the country at the moment.
I was just thinking the other day "maybe Mario can salvage a top 30 class" and then I started doing the math. Just adding Kelly and one of the other premium targets likely gets Miami's tiny class into the top 25. If Mario pulls a >25 class despite only being here a short while, I'll crown him.

Advertisement
ESD may not be all that exciting but locking up Wes and Graves and Landing Nyjalik (and possibly Coleman) would be a tremendous start for Mario
I like what we’ve got. If we have truly settled with the kids committed, we have 2 solid 4* corners, 1 safety, 1 stub LB, 1 QB1 of the future and 2 WRs (don’t know if this includes Ibieta or if Coleman is his spot instead but Horton seems to be in regardless). Now we have a chance with a couple of bookends on DL too. That would make it 9 without any other surprises. Mix in some non ESD highshoolers that fill in OL, DT, 1 more CB, more LBs, a TE (if the right one), 1 RB (if the right one) and may another WR. And some of these kids may be following from Oregon.

Add in portal guys (per @Cribby at least 1 WR and sounds like 1 CB) and some D Linemen and this is a good offseason. Think about where we would be if the previous coach were still here. We wouldn’t even be solid with the CBs that are committed. This is night and day better and Mario hasn’t been recruiting more runs 1 week yet. LFG!

I like what we’ve got. If we have truly settled with the kids committed, we have 2 solid 4* corners, 1 safety, 1 stub LB, 1 QB1 of the future and 2 WRs (don’t know if this includes Ibieta or if Coleman is his spot instead but Horton seems to be in regardless). Now we have a chance with a couple of bookends on DL too. That would make it 9 without any other surprises. Mix in some non ESD highshoolers that fill in OL, DT, 1 more CB, more LBs, a TE (if the right one), 1 RB (if the right one) and may another WR. And some of these kids may be following from Oregon.

Add in portal guys (per @Cribby at least 1 WR and sounds like 1 CB) and some D Linemen and this is a good offseason. Think about where we would be if the previous coach were still here. We wouldn’t even be solid with the CBs that are committed. This is night and day better and Mario hasn’t been recruiting more runs 1 week yet. LFG!
I think 1 LB from the portal is a must more so than CB and WR. CBs can play as freshmen and we have some pretty good but young WRs.

Advertisement
I think 1 LB from the portal is a must more so than CB and WR. CBs can play as freshmen and we have some pretty good but young WRs.
It would be interesting to see what we may already have in the form of LB (not including either of the Smiths that are currently playing). Is Brooks not healthy or just over looked? TAC overlooked? The change in coaching gives rise to a new evaluation period. I have to imagine that Flagg will end up in the portal in the next two years if we go speedy at LB. If we don’t have it, then we definitively need it and the portal is the only place (and would be better if we were right on the possible portal LB).

Per David Lake and 247

- We got the best chance with Kelly but we already knew that.

- Skinner was just a courtesy visit

- This visit blew the doors off the recruitment for Coleman. Guy loves Mario and the whole family is there. He’s really, really interested. I think we get him.

- We also made big in roads with Moss and this interest is absolutely legit. He was leaning Ducks when Mario was there and I have to believe we get him too. The fit with Schumann would be too perfect.

Like I said, weekends targets were Coleman and Moss. Mario took this opportunity 450 dead center to use a baseball preference.

Overall sounds like a positive weekend, thanks for the update.

With Skinner, I am still intrigued. I know he is at IMG, but still that is a ****ty 4-hour drive, committed to Bama who has the "no visit" rule which I saw posts on the Skinner thread and I guess it is now "No visits unless we okay them" rule. I think he may have a genuine itch or little voice nagging him. When was the last OV of a committed bama player that we had?

Mario made a good point today on the Joe Rose show regarding local kids: Paraphrasing but the point is that before coming in second was a bad thing. Now with the transfer portal if you come in second, although disappointing, a kid is still in play down the road (i.e. T2, maybe Little down the road, etc).

Advertisement
It would be interesting to see what we may already have in the form of LB (not including either of the Smiths that are currently playing). Is Brooks not healthy or just over looked? TAC overlooked? The change in coaching gives rise to a new evaluation period. I have to imagine that Flagg will end up in the portal in the next two years if we go speedy at LB. If we don’t have it, then we definitively need it and the portal is the only place (and would be better if we were right on the possible portal LB).

I agree that some of the current players could finally see the field but we don't have depth either way. No matter the case, you take elite kids at almost any position (excluding QB).

Mario made a good point today on the Joe Rose show regarding local kids: Paraphrasing but the point is that before coming in second was a bad thing. Now with the transfer portal if you come in second, although disappointing, a kid is still in play down the road (i.e. T2, maybe Little down the road, etc).

With kids transferring after their first spring, recruiting a kid doesn't end after they sign. Play nice and understand that they get 1 free transfer.

Add in a scheme change on defense and we may have a surprise on the roster. However, Manny/Blake's recruiting left a lot to be desired and we'll need at least 1, if not 2, portal guys ready to contribute day one.

Advertisement
In most circumstances though, if the kid pans out and is playing really well, they’ll stay at the school they’re at. You can get a strange situations like Tyrique, Rambo, or Phillips, but I’m worried we get more Deandre Johnson types. While they can contribute, they’re not necessarily difference makers.

In most circumstances though, if the kid pans out and is playing really well, they’ll stay at the school they’re at. You can get a strange situations like Tyrique, Rambo, or Phillips, but I’m worried we get more Deandre Johnson types. While they can contribute, they’re not necessarily difference makers.
Yes, of course. But the point is, at the very least, whether they are playing or not, good or bad - a lot of times you can have that first crack at a follow up evaluation/consideration for taking players back.

At the end of the day, it's all a numbers game. You are either going going to miss or hit on some.

Per David Lake and 247

- We got the best chance with Kelly but we already knew that.

- Skinner was just a courtesy visit

- This visit blew the doors off the recruitment for Coleman. Guy loves Mario and the whole family is there. He’s really, really interested. I think we get him.

- We also made big in roads with Moss and this interest is absolutely legit. He was leaning Ducks when Mario was there and I have to believe we get him too. The fit with Schumann would be too perfect.

Like I said, weekends targets were Coleman and Moss. Mario took this opportunity 450 dead center to use a baseball preference.

Thanks for the post.

It's amazing what a coaching change does to a recruiting class. It went from 50-60 class to potentially top 25? shoot potentially top 15?

Advertisement
Back