Unpopular Opinion

“A lot of kids from down here can play at Miami, have the swag and stuff to play at Miami,” Brooks said. “But people from down south or even from Miami, they choose other schools for particular reasons, for family members, all that stuff. A lot of kids from Miami can play for the University of Miami. That’s one of coach Diaz’s standards, pulling a lot of Miami guys which is good because there’s a lot of talent down here.”

When it comes to his own progress, Brooks - who has five tackles and a sack on the season - said, “Before I played for UM I used to always see (the Cane linebackers on the field) and looked up to them, especially Shaq - he doesn’t even know it. I was in high school, would go to the game, watch the linebackers. Now that I’m finally playing behind them, it’s a great experience for me. I can take a lot (from them). They’re four-year starters, so they know everything.”

Next year, as strange as it sounds, Brooks will be one of the more experienced linebackers on the roster. That’s what happens when you have the top four linebacker/strikers graduating.

Asked if - because of that - he feels pressure to learn a lot and make tremendous progress by the end of the season, Brooks said, “Not really. Because I know I’ll reach that standard.”

He adds, “For next year I have to put on some more weight. As far as instincts about linebacker, I’m doing well. I have the speed, everything else, just have to put on about 20 more pounds.”
yeah..."particular rea$on$.

Advertisement
Lol at “unpopular”

Everyone on this board acts like the guys who don’t play are better than the 4 year starters.

If anything this would be the most popular opinion possible

Advertisement
Yup, but evolution isn't static and now what was revolutionary is the status quo and we're playing catch up.
My point is there nothing new that we didn't know before. Speed killed the wishbone, speed will kill the spread (if used correctly).

Pinckney and Quarterman are at best first rounders, and at worst career NFL journeyman.

We never appreciate the good thing when we have it, and always want the shiny new toy.
They are at best day 3 picks and at worst UDFAs that bounce around practice squads

You won't get much push back, most people on here don't have a real high opinion on Shaq & Pinckney.

Brooks has tremendous potential & can be a star here as he continues to develop.

I'm high on Huff's ability as well, but I would wait until Spring ball of next year before we make any big declarations about what he'll be as a player. He needs to go through a full offseason in the S&C program while getting acclimated to the Defense.

I still feel we hit the portal next year for a LB, because we're going to have tons of inexperienced backers, similar to our Secondary this year.

But with Brooks, Huff, Tirek Austin-Cave & hopefully flipping Ruben Hyppolite we'll have a very fast, aggressive & young LB corps.
You won't get much push back, most people on here don't have a real high opinion on Shaq & Pinckney
Brooks has tremendous potential & can be a star here as he continues to develop.

I'm high on Huff's ability as well, but I would wait until Spring ball of next year before we make any big declarations about what he'll be as a player. He needs to go through a full offseason in the S&C program while getting acclimated to the Defense.

I still feel we hit the portal next year for a LB, because we're going to have tons of inexperienced backers, similar to our Secondary this year.

But with Brooks, Huff, Tirek Austin-Cave & hopefully flipping Ruben Hyppolite we'll have a very fast, aggressive & young LB corps.
I think overall I like the speed we have there right now, but think people are gonna be disappointed everywhere on this team after the 18 class moves on. Brooks will be a stud if he stays healthy, but unless something drastic changes with recruiting, like winning, Miami will peak for the time being next season, maybe the season after depending on who stays.

Advertisement
You won't get much push back, most people on here don't have a real high opinion on Shaq & Pinckney.

Hyppolite would complete a fine LB core, but he seems locked in with Maryland. Them starting out well will make it even tougher.

Brooks/Huff
Shaq/Pickney
Perryman/Grace
Spence/McCarthy

It feels like our LB unit as a whole will probably be a continuation of what it's been. Really good college players with NFL potential, but still a noticeable talent gap from the Beason/McIntosh & Vilma/Williams years.

Advertisement
I'm not sure many would disagree with you.

Exactly.

It's like going back to the late nineties with guys like Leonard Myers, who was step forward from what the Canes had—but things got next-level with Ed Reed, Mike Rumph and Phillip Buchanon who showed up a little after him.

Shaq and Pinck were huge gets by Richt in 2016 when he showed up end of 2015—but I think we're going to see a whole new breed of player under Manny.

Can we stop comparing team mates..if they end up being better cool but pump the breaks on ya expectations they haven’t done nothing yet much

Advertisement
For the longest time I've had a hard time putting into words, or a post, exactly what it is about Shaq and Pinkney that doesn't exactly do it for me....

So here it is, I think they both would have been great Big 10 linebackers, but they are not the type of linebackers the University of Miami is use to showcasing. Neither is particularly fast (at least on the field) or great in coverage and the big plays are just lacking.

I'm not trying to rip them, they are not horrible players.....I'm just not sure they are a fit for the type of scheme we want to run here.

Our backers are doing good. Bakers 3-3-5 BS is not helping the group out. Also Shaq will look wwwaaayyyyy better in the NFL with legit LB coaching and a scheme that is more gap discipline.

As my wife will say because of our 4 kids....."we can't have nice things".
With that said, I'm grateful for Shaq and Pink. Those dudes came in when we had nothing at that position and they played admirably their freshmen year.
Shaq has been an ambassador to this program and a good player. Pink has been right there too. Made a lot of plays to bail us out. I have nothing but respect for both and glad they became Canes. Both Canes thru and thru.
Our future looks great with Brooks and Huff and I agree with @CubanCane but that is the future and nothing is guaranteed.

Shaq and Pinckney have put up huge numbers and spearheaded a monumental turnaround on defense. For some reason, they get more respect outside the Canes fanbase than within it.

I get the premise of the post. Brooks and Huff are faster and it is becoming a speed game at linebacker. They may end up better. But this post is way premature. And I say that as a longtime Sam Brooks fan.

Let’s appreciate two excellent college linebackers. The rest of the country would love to have them.
lol, just wait until draft time rolls around, this "praise" outside this fanbase is not going to exist when they are looked at as 6th rounders while we're the ones saying they are better than that.

Advertisement
Back