Unpopular Opinion

Advertisement
“A lot of kids from down here can play at Miami, have the swag and stuff to play at Miami,” Brooks said. “But people from down south or even from Miami, they choose other schools for particular reasons, for family members, all that stuff. A lot of kids from Miami can play for the University of Miami. That’s one of coach Diaz’s standards, pulling a lot of Miami guys which is good because there’s a lot of talent down here.”

When it comes to his own progress, Brooks - who has five tackles and a sack on the season - said, “Before I played for UM I used to always see (the Cane linebackers on the field) and looked up to them, especially Shaq - he doesn’t even know it. I was in high school, would go to the game, watch the linebackers. Now that I’m finally playing behind them, it’s a great experience for me. I can take a lot (from them). They’re four-year starters, so they know everything.”

Next year, as strange as it sounds, Brooks will be one of the more experienced linebackers on the roster. That’s what happens when you have the top four linebacker/strikers graduating.

Asked if - because of that - he feels pressure to learn a lot and make tremendous progress by the end of the season, Brooks said, “Not really. Because I know I’ll reach that standard.”

He adds, “For next year I have to put on some more weight. As far as instincts about linebacker, I’m doing well. I have the speed, everything else, just have to put on about 20 more pounds.”

Advertisement
I think he needs the reps and as many as possible.
We coukd be starting an entire LB core with zero experience next year if we dont get them as much playing time as possible this year.
Thats a fair point. I just cant see it happening in meaningful play at what, 210?

Diaz will lead us to National prominence. After year two, we will regularly dominate the Coastal. When Dabo leaves for Alabama, we will be the ACC power.

Advertisement
Shaq and Pinckney have put up huge numbers and spearheaded a monumental turnaround on defense. For some reason, they get more respect outside the Canes fanbase than within it.

I get the premise of the post. Brooks and Huff are faster and it is becoming a speed game at linebacker. They may end up better. But this post is way premature. And I say that as a longtime Sam Brooks fan.

Let’s appreciate two excellent college linebackers. The rest of the country would love to have them.

I know I’m risking being blocked but to call our LBs “excellent” is completely false. Excellent LBs win awards, don’t lead a defense that gets shredded in a bowl game. They are above average, not excellent.

Dont care if I get a lot of heat for it or if I end up being wrong (I hope I'm right). But I predict Avery Huff and Sam Brooks to end up having better Miami careers than Mike and Shaq. I love Mike and Shaq and I always defend them but I think most of their praise comes from them being starters since freshmen. I think Sam and Avery have much heigher ceilings in today's football and if they put it all together they will be drafted higher than MIke and Shaq when its all said and done. Seeing Sam get sideline to sideline saturday was impressive and something we havent seen at Miami since Perryman imo.
Bruh why do you have to knock the accomplishments of shaq & pinkney just to say you believe Huff and Brooks will be very good here? I believe they'll be very good here to but I dont have to knock the accomplishments of two **** good ones that have already done it to say so. Give credit where its it's due. Sam in particular I feel will be a monster here. Kid is VERY impressive.

Advertisement
Let's just say I see some very alarming trends developing
Man, you know better than me. That said, dude is a 1st year coach in game 3. Could he suck? **** yes. Maybe he doesn't correct the trends you see and they become huge problems. Maybe he does. He seems smart enough imo to learn from his mistakes. Time will tell.

Dont care if I get a lot of heat for it or if I end up being wrong (I hope I'm right). But I predict Avery Huff and Sam Brooks to end up having better Miami careers than Mike and Shaq. I love Mike and Shaq and I always defend them but I think most of their praise comes from them being starters since freshmen. I think Sam and Avery have much heigher ceilings in today's football and if they put it all together they will be drafted higher than MIke and Shaq when its all said and done. Seeing Sam get sideline to sideline saturday was impressive and something we havent seen at Miami since Perryman imo.
I do like Brooks. Havent seen Huff yet but Brooks looked good. His speed is crazy. Once they put on some size, I do believe he will be better than either of the two.

Advertisement
It's possible to praise the new guys without bashing our current guys.

That said, Brooks and Huff do look to be they types of LBs that the position is evolving to and that's very good for our future.
Is evolving to? I get that spread offenses have put more of an emphasis on pass coverage skills but we've had those types since JJ was here. He didn't just recruit speed at the skill positions, he recruited speed across the board, at all positions. It's been repeated said so often that people are tired of hearing it but he would move safeties to LB, LBs to DEs, etc.

We didn't go after the other types until Golden came here.

Is evolving to? I get that spread offenses have put more of an emphasis on pass coverage skills but we've had those types since JJ was here. He didn't just recruit speed at the skill positions, he recruited speed across the board, at all positions. It's been repeated said so often that people are tired of hearing it but he would move safeties to LB, LBs to DEs, etc.

We didn't go after the other types until Golden came here.
Yup, but evolution isn't static and now what was revolutionary is the status quo and we're playing catch up.

Man, you know better than me. That said, dude is a 1st year coach in game 3. Could he suck? **** yes. Maybe he doesn't correct the trends you see and they become huge problems. Maybe he does. He seems smart enough imo to learn from his mistakes. Time will tell.

What He's saying is Mike & Shaq would've had more memorable careers if they didn't play in a gimmick defense...at least that's the way I read it.

Advertisement
Back