Unpopular Opinion

Shaq and Pinckney have put up huge numbers and spearheaded a monumental turnaround on defense. For some reason, they get more respect outside the Canes fanbase than within it.

I get the premise of the post. Brooks and Huff are faster and it is becoming a speed game at linebacker. They may need up better. But this post is way premature. And I say that as a longtime Sam Brooks fan.

Let’s appreciate two excellent college linebackers. The rest of the country would love to have them.
While I agree with you, I think a lot of the "love" that's coming from outside of the fanbase is attributed to the fact that these guys have been starting since their freshman years and that will carry a lot of weight with those that don't watch our games on a weekly basis. With that said, outside of maybe Pinckney, it's hard to make a debate that Shaq or McCloud, especially, have appreciatively improved as upperclassman.

With that said, it appears that Manny and the defensive staff have pivoted away from recruiting 'thumpers' at the LB and guys like Brooks, Huff and the 2020 guys are proof of that.

Advertisement
Dont care if I get a lot of heat for it or if I end up being wrong (I hope I'm right). But I predict Avery Huff and Sam Brooks to end up having better Miami careers than Mike and Shaq. I love Mike and Shaq and I always defend them but I think most of their praise comes from them being starters since freshmen. I think Sam and Avery have much heigher ceilings in today's football and if they put it all together they will be drafted higher than MIke and Shaq when its all said and done. Seeing Sam get sideline to sideline saturday was impressive and something we havent seen at Miami since Perryman imo.

Nothing wrong with that.

Every year I hope that each and EVERY recruit we get will be better than greatest that have ever played here at their position.

My hope is NOT intended as knock on anyone....and I do realize that it's unrealistic....but that's my hope

I just want us to constantly get better

Hard to make that kind of statement when the other two guys haven't even played a snap. Our current linebackers aren't as great as the national media makes them out to be but they're not nearly as bad as some members here think they are. Shaq is the classic middle linebacker. Smart, sturdy, natural leadership ability and rarely makes a bonehead mistake. He's slightly limited athletically but he's looking at a long career as an NFL MLB. Even if he's only a "2 down" guy. Mike is a little more all or nothing. He makes splash plays but too often disappears or is out of position. He can carve out a role as a nickle LB in the NFL because he's versatile on passing downs and can rush the passer or play in coverage. He's small still but the NFL is giving guys his size more chances these days.

Advertisement
brooks was in on EVERY tackle when he was in! kid has wheels and IQ. Shaq just doesn't have the speed or the IQ to make for lack of speed.

I like Brooks but he's too small to not redshirt this year. At 230 he can be a lot like Jon Beason. I hope he can get there so that he can hit the ground running next year.

Advertisement
Dont care if I get a lot of heat for it or if I end up being wrong (I hope I'm right). But I predict Avery Huff and Sam Brooks to end up having better Miami careers than Mike and Shaq. I love Mike and Shaq and I always defend them but I think most of their praise comes from them being starters since freshmen. I think Sam and Avery have much heigher ceilings in today's football and if they put it all together they will be drafted higher than MIke and Shaq when its all said and done. Seeing Sam get sideline to sideline saturday was impressive and something we havent seen at Miami since Perryman imo.

I don't think you know what an unpopular opinion is. See, unpopular is when most people disagree with you.

Advertisement

I love Shaq and Pinck, but there's nothing wrong with saying/hoping that the next generation could be better.

I'll always appreciate those guys for coming in and stabilizing the defense, being excellent people and representatives for the school and the team, and for sticking an extra year (even though it was 100% the best move for them as well).

Not saying you would have said it, but I guarantee you there were those on this board who would have said the same about Quan and Red last year, though, and we sure are missing those guys so far. I'll just toss that little word of caution in there. We'll have to see it on the field, and helping the unit is not always all about being faster twitch or more athletic.

Conclusion: I hope you're right, but we won't know until this time next year at the earliest. Don't buy the spring and summer hype.

I second your notion, Mr. Cubano. I firmly believe both Shaq and Michael reached their CEILING following their sophomore seasons. hUh

Advertisement
I like Brooks but he's too small to not redshirt this year. At 230 he can be a lot like Jon Beason. I hope he can get there so that he can hit the ground running next year.

I think he needs the reps and as many as possible.
We coukd be starting an entire LB core with zero experience next year if we dont get them as much playing time as possible this year.

Advertisement
Back