UM's Perry "Looks Like a Natural"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"People have a hard time understanding that they are projecting their wishes and fantasies into reality."

This is the key point. Just because we want Perry to be great doesn't mean he will be.

Advertisement
Perry doesn't have to be great - but I believe he will provide the team the best opportunity to be great this year and is better than our other options at QB.

Plenty of talent this year to help him.

How has any of the vacuous **** in this thread made the posters saying "I told you guys Perry was the guy" so confident?

I've said it million times.

People have a hard time understanding that they are projecting their wishes and fantasies into reality.

People talk themselves into thinking that Perry will do what has never been done before by a true freshmans, and then they selectively pick out articles, images, what-have-you that reinforce their wishful thinking. Many of you have heard of this before: it's called confirmation bias.

And in this case there is some CIS groupthink in the mix.

The reality is this: as [MENTION=12878]CaneOil[/MENTION] said, the historical data doesn't support the notion that Perry, if the starter, as a passing QB, will do well in big games. Nor does the historical data support the notion that a true freshmans QB can lead a P5 team to over ten wins if he is a passing QB (Alabama is an outlier here for obvious reasons). We're not Alabama, and Perry isn't a running QB.

So let's assume, for argument's sake, Perry wins the starting job. And let's also assume that as a starting QB, he beats FSU away, and leads us to, let's say a 11-1 or 10-2 type regular season. If that happens, it will be a miraculous story, undoubtedly the number one story in college football. It will also be the first time something like this has EVER happened in college football. EVER.

Hey, I mean it could happen, but what are the odds based on available data?

Everything you mentioned is true but the same thing can be said about Rosier and Shirreffs. Just because they are upperclassmen doesn't mean they are going to be good and beat FSU. Truth is whoever the starting QB is it will be tough to beat FSU on the road.

Yes true about Shirreffs, not so much about Rosier.

I'm not saying Rosier is better, or will win the competition, but you have at least real college football data to look at. He's played some in several games, and he's 1-0 as a starter, in an away night game where the chips were really stacked against him and the team, and he played well in that game. Does that mean he wins the job, or that he would be better? Not necessarily, but at least we know he's answered the bell once when his number was called.

Anything can happen at this point, but ruling anybody out now is not smart and not realistic.

Perry doesn't have to be great - but I believe he will provide the team the best opportunity to be great this year and is better than our other options at QB.

Ok, you believe, that's great. On what factual basis is this belief, or is it like believing in the baby Jesus? Do we just take it on faith?

Or maybe, just maybe, you might want to wait on an actual quarterback competition.

How has any of the vacuous **** in this thread made the posters saying "I told you guys Perry was the guy" so confident?

People have a hard time understanding that they are projecting their wishes and fantasies into reality.

People talk themselves into thinking that Perry will do what has never been done before by a true freshmans, and then they selectively pick out articles, images, what-have-you that reinforce their wishful thinking. Many of you have heard of this before: it's called confirmation bias.

The reality is this: as [MENTION=12878]CaneOil[/MENTION] said, the historical data doesn't support the notion that Perry, if the starter, as a passing QB, will do well in big games. Nor does the historical data support the notion that a true freshmans QB can lead a P5 team to over ten wins if he is a passing QB (Alabama is an outlier here for obvious reasons). We're not Alabama, and Perry isn't a running QB.

So let's assume, for argument's sake, Perry wins the starting job. And let's also assume that as a starting QB, he beats FSU away, and leads us to, let's say a 11-1 or 10-2 type regular season. If that happens, it will be a miraculous story, undoubtedly the number one story in college football. It will also be the first time something like this has EVER happened in college football. EVER.

Everything you mentioned is true but the same thing can be said about Rosier and Shirreffs. Just because they are upperclassmen doesn't mean they are going to be good and beat FSU. Truth is whoever the starting QB is it will be tough to beat FSU on the road.

Yes true about Shirreffs, not so much about Rosier.

I'm not saying Rosier is better, or will win the competition, but you have at least real college football data to look at. He's played some in several games, and he's 1-0 as a starter, in an away night game where the chips were really stacked against him and the team, and he played well in that game. Does that mean he wins the job, or that he would be better? Not necessarily, but at least we know he's answered the bell once when his number was called.

Anything can happen at this point, but ruling anybody out now is not smart and not realistic.

I agree with you about Rosier but personally I'm very disappointed in Rosier. I thought for sure he would win the starting job and we wouldn't be having these conversations about Perry. The fact that he's entering his 4th year and can't beat out a true freshman who just arrived on campus is very disturbing.

Advertisement

Yup. He just really has to stay within the system and make the right throws on time. He can always tuck it and run if no one is open, but i'd be surprised if the offense wasn't run-heavy with PA roll-outs and easy throws in the first several games..

I hope Rosier or Shirreffs is the starter...

But, if either of them lose to FSU do yall think they should still be the starter for the rest of the season?

Also, the reason why a lot of people aren't so gung-ho about the upperclassmen is because practically every report we've heard from anyone who's seen practice has said that neither Rosier or Shirreffs has looked good by any standard.

Plus, in the Spring Scrimmage they both looked pedestrian, so when reputable people are telling us these guys basically look like ****, what do you expect the reaction to be?

You don't have to quell the excitement fans have about Perry on every single thread, we've heard the case being made since January, we know... Freshman QB's don't win big or lead their teams to Conference titles, got it.

Now lets just hope one of the upperclassmen isn't as ****** as its been reported come September, because if you believe this is a win now season, then that's what they better do.

But, if either of them lose to FSU do yall think they should still be the starter for the rest of the season?

Also, the reason why a lot of people aren't so gung-ho about the upperclassmen is because practically every report we've heard from anyone who's seen practice has said that neither Rosier or Shirreffs has looked good by any standard.

Plus, in the Spring Scrimmage they both looked pedestrian, so when reputable people are telling us these guys basically look like ****, what do you expect the reaction to be?

You don't have to quell the excitement fans have about Perry on every single thread, we've heard the case being made since January, we know... Freshman QB's don't win big or lead their teams to Conference titles, got it.

Now lets just hope one of the upperclassmen isn't as ****** as its been reported come September, because if you believe this is a win now season, then that's what they better do.

Pretty much agree with this, but...

You say we've heard the case against, but people won't stop incessantly pushing the case for Perry. I get the excitement, I feel it too but dudes won't stop with this fantasy that the kid's going to win 10+ games, when the likelihood of that is vanishingly small. If he wins the job and 10+ games, I'll gladly start a thread about how much I suck, but until then it makes no sense to assume things like that. If people stop acting like he's the second coming before he does anything, other people will probably stop pointing out how great freshman QBs aren't.

I agree with you about Rosier but personally I'm very disappointed in Rosier. I thought for sure he would win the starting job and we wouldn't be having these conversations about Perry. The fact that he's entering his 4th year and can't beat out a true freshman who just arrived on campus is very disturbing.

Actually, that's not a fact.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about: people getting reality and fantasy mixed up in their heads.

Here's the fact, Rosier hasn't beat out a true freshmans, because the competition hasn't even begun. There hasn't been even one practice with Rosier, Perry, and the other QB's, so of course you can't even make that statement. It's not based on reality.

Perry may win out, Rosier may win out, etc, but one thing is a fact for sure: the competition hasn't even started.

Advertisement

Yup. He just really has to stay within the system and make the right throws on time. He can always tuck it and run if no one is open, but i'd be surprised if the offense wasn't run-heavy with PA roll-outs and easy throws in the first several games..

Sounds simple enough, makes you wonder why freshmen don't get the job more often.

^^This!!!! Thank you LCE! The excitement is fueled by credible reports. Dudes just want to feel excited/optimistic about the season, during the offseason. I don't understand why something so simple is being made to be so contentious.

I don't spend too much time worrying about hurting adult's feelings on a message board, especially when it comes to a subject like this which lends itself to debate. The assumption is we're all men (and women) here, so we really don't need a Perry spirit monitor. I take it for granted that readers are not feeble minded children whose feelings and spirit I have to be concerned about crushing.

Personally, I'm excited about Perry's talent and potential, bearing in my mind the obstacles in learning and adaption any true freshman would face, no matter their mental or physical talent. If somehow Perry pulls it off and becomes our starter, them I'll be first in line to root him to great performances, and more importantly, team wins.

Pretty much agree with this, but...

You say we've heard the case against, but people won't stop incessantly pushing the case for Perry. I get the excitement, I feel it too but dudes won't stop with this fantasy that the kid's going to win 10+ games, when the likelihood of that is vanishingly small. If he wins the job and 10+ games, I'll gladly start a thread about how much I suck, but until then it makes no sense to assume things like that. If people stop acting like he's the second coming before he does anything, other people will probably stop pointing out how great freshman QBs aren't.
The misnomer is that any QB we have is going to lead us to a 10 win season.

Those that are arguing in favor of any QB, have close to nothing to actually base it on.

Rosier started 1 game, Shirreffs & Perry haven't taken a single snap in a game, so the idea that any of them is guaranteed to do anything is just hopes & wishes.

People just have to stop operating between two extremes & wait & see how things turn out in Fall camp & even then we won't really know until we play FSU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Dallas can Have a rookie QB start from day 1 and become a pro bowler, why can't a true Freshman do likewise in college. Dak Prescott has the personality to have people gravitate toward him as well as being a student of the game. I sense something similar is possible with Nikosi.

The misnomer is that any QB we have is going to lead to us a 10 wins season.

Those that are arguing in favor of any QB, have close to nothing to actually base it on.

Rosier started 1 game, Shirreffs & Perry haven't taken a single snap in a game, so the idea that any of them is guaranteed to do anything is just hopes & wishes.

People just have to stop operating between two extremes & wait & see how things turn out in Fall camp & even then we won't really know until we play FSU.

Rick better figure out a way to win 10 games, I don't give a shīt who the QB is.

I'm not emotionally married to any QBs. I want the fūcking wins.Thats basically it in a nutshell for me. It's up to the coaches to make the right choices about who the quarterback is and to make the other right choices that gets us to double digit wins.

Last edited:

I don't spend too much time worrying about hurting adult's feelings on a message board, especially when it comes to a subject like this which lends itself to debate. The assumption is we're all men (and women) here, so we really don't need a Perry spirit monitor. I take it for granted that readers are not feeble minded children whose feelings and spirit I have to be concerned about crushing.

Personally, I'm excited about Perry's talent and potential, bearing in my mind the obstacles in learning and adaption any true freshman would face, no matter their mental or physical talent. If somehow Perry pulls it off and becomes our starter, them I'll be first in line to root him to great performances, and more importantly, team wins.
Who said anything about hurt feelings? I simply pointed out that people who are predicting for Perry to be the starter are doing so out of excitement, coupled with the fact that both Pete & Dmoney have said themselves they believe Perry has a good chance to win the job as well.

I've said numerous times, I think Rosier or Shirreffs will be the starter, but I also hope Perry is good enough to win the job, even though it's not likely he will.

Regardless of who it is, if we lose to FSU & the QB plays ******, one of those 3 better be ready to take over, because if not its gonna be a long season.

Advertisement
The whole, "the fans who are insisting Perry will win 10+ games are dumb" sentiment is a strawman argument. I've never read anyone posting this even though I'm not on here 24/7. Just another false flag narrative to justify constant combative posting and being chronically disagreeable like it's some sort of badge of honor or supplement for manhood.

Ok, you believe, that's great. On what factual basis is this belief, or is it like believing in the baby Jesus? Do we just take it on faith?

Or maybe, just maybe, you might want to wait on an actual quarterback competition.

My belief is based on two of the games that I saw him play last year.

Furthermore, I'm looking forward to the competition to see who wins the job, *hole.

Has nothing to do with Rosier or Shirreffs. Point is that a true freshmans Summer enrollee QB in a legit offense (read: not the fcking option) has never led his team to any sort of major success in the history of college football. Let that sink in.

If Perry beats out Rosier and Shirreffs, then the overwhelming data tells us to expect a pretty bad season. When I say pretty bad season I mean anything other than a Coastal title and 10 wins.

Overwhelming historical data mandates that UM fans should actually be hoping and praying that Rosier or Shirreffs is better than Perry RIGHT NOW and that one of them beats him out. Otherwise, if they can't accomplish that task and we are forced to start a guy after a month of practice we are in for a lot of frustration this season.

Actually, what Perry has to do in order for UM to have the season we expect is to do what's never been done before by a true freshmans summer enrollee QB in a pro offense in the history of college football. Pretty daunting task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back