UM's Perry "Looks Like a Natural"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Perry is gonna struggle at times if he starts. That's just fact.

I still think he's the most talented kid on the rooster. Malik and Evan just aren't Power 5 starters IMO.

Interesting. Malik has actually started a Power 5 game.

Malik Rosier is capable of beating 99% of the teams on this easy *** schedule with this team around him.

Based off what?

Based on this easy *** schedule

Perry is gonna struggle at times if he starts. That's just fact.

I still think he's the most talented kid on the rooster. Malik and Evan just aren't Power 5 starters IMO.

Malik Rosier is capable of beating 99% of the teams on this easy *** schedule with this team around him.

Based off what?

Doesnt mean he will perform well.

Based off what?

true but he would have to perform on the level of a mental ****** to lose 4 or more games. I can barely see 3 losses on this schedule... FSU, Notre Dame, and the always one or two random loss(es) (usually between GT, UNC, and VT).

Our defense though is going to be dominant enough to prevent an unexpected loss from happening imo in regards to this schedule. I'm not saying Rosier is good enough to be the reason we win most of the games just saying i cant see him being an absolute disaster back there at qb.

I still think 2 losses is the ceiling with Rosier or Perry.

Advertisement

Based off what?

true but he would have to perform on the level of a mental ****** to lose 4 or more games. I can barely see 3 losses on this schedule... FSU, Notre Dame, and the always one or two random loss(es) (usually between GT, UNC, and VT).

Our defense though is going to be dominant enough to prevent an unexpected loss from happening imo in regards to this schedule. I'm not saying Rosier is good enough to be the reason we win most of the games just saying i cant see him being an absolute disaster back there at qb.

I still think 2 losses is the ceiling with Rosier or Perry.

So he goes 9/24 for 147yds, 1TD and 3 INTs every game and you can't see how we'll lose? Despite what you seem to think, those are very doable numbers. Plus, at that point Walton is running into a loaded box.

Rosier threw at least 2 picks in every single scrimmage this Spring and ya'll are comfortable with him as the starter? lol

I hope Rosier or Shirreffs is the starter...

But, if either of them lose to FSU do yall think they should still be the starter for the rest of the season?

Also, the reason why a lot of people aren't so gung-ho about the upperclassmen is because practically every report we've heard from anyone who's seen practice has said that neither Rosier or Shirreffs has looked good by any standard.

Plus, in the Spring Scrimmage they both looked pedestrian, so when reputable people are telling us these guys basically look like ****, what do you expect the reaction to be?

You don't have to quell the excitement fans have about Perry on every single thread, we've heard the case being made since January, we know... Freshman QB's don't win big or lead their teams to Conference titles, got it.

Now lets just hope one of the upperclassmen isn't as ****ty as its been reported come September, because if you believe this is a win now season, then that's what they better do.

I don't blame you for being skeptical about Rosier and Shirreffs. I'm just as skeptical. Point here is that we better hope they can rise to the occasion and beat out Perry because what we'd be expecting Perry to do has never been done.

If Rick is forced to start Perry because those guys are too sorry to hold off a guy with a month of practice under his belt, then we're in for a very frustrating season with some losses that no one ever expected. History tells us that it's a virtual certainty.

So, yeah, Perry might win the job. But if he does then that means we're in deep trouble this year unless you're good with 7 or 8 wins and "building for the future."

What makes you think Rosier or Shirreffs won't lose us games that Perry would as a starter? I think we are screwed if we start any of those two fools. They were hot garbage during the spring. Granted, our defense is good and better with the summer arrivals but overall they were a hot pile of trash. If Perry is better and proves to protect the ball and make plays then ride with it. Some growing pains for sure but our defense will keep us in every game.

You're not getting it. This has nothing to do with me thinking Rosier or Shirreffs will guarantee anything. I don't think they guarantee anything. If Perry is better than them, then he should start.

However, what I am talking about is clear historical data. If Rick is forced to start a summer enrollee true freshmans QB because the veterans on the roster are worse than he is, then you won't win anything.

The data is overwhelming. That's why we should all hope that one of the veterans is better situated to lead the team right now than Perry is. If they're not, then those 2 veterans REALLY REALLY suck ****, and history tells us we will have a crappy season as the true freshmans QB struggles.

But, if either of them lose to FSU do yall think they should still be the starter for the rest of the season?

Also, the reason why a lot of people aren't so gung-ho about the upperclassmen is because practically every report we've heard from anyone who's seen practice has said that neither Rosier or Shirreffs has looked good by any standard.

Plus, in the Spring Scrimmage they both looked pedestrian, so when reputable people are telling us these guys basically look like ****, what do you expect the reaction to be?

You don't have to quell the excitement fans have about Perry on every single thread, we've heard the case being made since January, we know... Freshman QB's don't win big or lead their teams to Conference titles, got it.

Now lets just hope one of the upperclassmen isn't as ****ty as its been reported come September, because if you believe this is a win now season, then that's what they better do.

I don't blame you for being skeptical about Rosier and Shirreffs. I'm just as skeptical. Point here is that we better hope they can rise to the occasion and beat out Perry because what we'd be expecting Perry to do has never been done.

If Rick is forced to start Perry because those guys are too sorry to hold off a guy with a month of practice under his belt, then we're in for a very frustrating season with some losses that no one ever expected. History tells us that it's a virtual certainty.

So, yeah, Perry might win the job. But if he does then that means we're in deep trouble this year unless you're good with 7 or 8 wins and "building for the future."

Not really. This schedule is very weak. Miami has the 2nd easiest schedule in the acc behind louisville. On top of that everybody in the costal is breaking in a new qb and most of them dont have good options to go with. How many freshmen have had as easy of a schedule as this one?

I agree that our schedule is pretty easy. I have no idea the comparative strengths of schedules of all true freshmans QBs in the history of college football. But I doubt that they all faced brutal schedules.

I can't think of any who did except for Jalen Hurts...who is essentially just a pawn in that offense instead of the catalyst because their running game is

Hurts wasn't a summer enrollee.

Advertisement

What makes you think Rosier or Shirreffs won't lose us games that Perry would as a starter? I think we are screwed if we start any of those two fools. They were hot garbage during the spring. Granted, our defense is good and better with the summer arrivals but overall they were a hot pile of trash. If Perry is better and proves to protect the ball and make plays then ride with it. Some growing pains for sure but our defense will keep us in every game.

You're not getting it. This has nothing to do with me thinking Rosier or Shirreffs will guarantee anything. I don't think they guarantee anything. If Perry is better than them, then he should start.

However, what I am talking about is clear historical data. If Rick is forced to start a summer enrollee true freshmans QB because the veterans on the roster are worse than he is, then you won't win anything.

The data is overwhelming. That's why we should all hope that one of the veterans is better situated to lead the team right now than Perry is. If they're not, then those 2 veterans REALLY REALLY suck ****, and history tells us we will have a crappy season as the true freshmans QB struggles.

I get your point but data also doesn't step on the field and play the game. We can't predict the future outcome year 1 if Perry starts. Maybe he absolutely kills it or he falls into another data point. Guess we will find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosier threw at least 2 picks in every single scrimmage this Spring and ya'll are comfortable with him as the starter? lol

Those of us uncomfortable with Perry as the starter are uncomfortable because of the overwhelming historical data against him. If you're happy winning 7 or 8 games this year, then, by all means, hope that Perry wins the job.

Why should we expect Perry to do something that's never been done? Just because we're UM fans?

Wouldn't it be more realistic to hope that a veteran who started and beat a ranked team and is in his 4th year in college football can be a serviceable distributor and manager and get us 10 wins and a Coastal? That sort of thing has been done over and over and over in the history of college football.

Advertisement

I get your point but data also doesn't step on the field and play the game. We can't predict the future outcome year 1 if Perry starts. Maybe he absolutely kills it or he falls into another data point. Guess we will find out.

We're talking about 100 years of data. It's not just coincidence and happenstance.

Those of us uncomfortable with Perry as the starter are uncomfortable because of the overwhelming historical data against him. If you're happy winning 7 or 8 games this year, then, by all means, hope that Perry wins the job.

Why should we expect Perry to do something that's never been done? Just because we're UM fans?

Wouldn't it be more realistic to hope that a veteran who started and beat a ranked team and is in his 4th year in college football can be a serviceable distributor and manager and get us 10 wins and a Coastal? That sort of thing has been done over and over and over in the history of college football.

This is where the argument gets flawed. You think the team will only win 7 or 8 if a freshmen qb starts but believe they will win more with a veteren qb who isnt that good just because he is older. In either case you could be looking at the same record.

We're talking about 100 years of data. It's not just coincidence and happenstance.

Yeah but not every single true freshman qb that starts day 1 fails. You just never know.

Advertisement

The comparison i will throw out is usc 2009. Barkley started as a true freshmen and they went 9-4. Teams have some similarities. Usc had some good talent on defense with some solid skill position guys on offense.

Usc strength of schedule that year was also 13th in the country. A much stronger schedule than what miami is projected to face this year. So i believe 9 or 10 win regular season still could be had.

Last edited:

This is where the argument gets flawed. You think the team will only win 7 or 8 if a freshmen qb starts but believe they will win more with a veteren qb who isnt that good just because he is older. In either case you could be looking at the same record.

The argument has no flaws because the argument is couched in 100 years of college football history. You're just not getting it. This is about Perry and the overwhelming pile of historical data against him leading us to anything of consequence.

There's no such historical data against a 4th year junior QB (Rosier) with successful starting experience or even against a 2nd year QB (Shirreffs).

The reason there's no data against the others is because of the incredible significance of experience in a college system when it comes to the QB position.

Yeah but not every single true freshman qb that starts day 1 fails. You just never know.

Ok. Forget it.

The comparison i will throw out is usc 2009. Barkley started as a true freshmen and they went 9-4. Teams have some similarities. Usc had some very good talent on defense with some solid skill position guys on offense.

Usc strength of schedule that year was also 13th in the country. A much stronger schedule than what miami is projected to face this year. So i believe 9 or 10 win regular season still could be had.

When did Barkley enroll? And 9-4 isn't good enough. That would be a fail to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back