UM doesn't treat CFB like a business

Pretty sure Duke is not only ranked higher than Miami in academics but have one of thee premier college basketball programs in America. They also have a solid Athletics dept in general, outside of football (although they have won the Coastal & have given us fits sans 2020).

Furthermore, no one is talking about ur degree so stay focus on the subject at hand. We’re talking about those who support the program, not ur college education.

1) You do realize that basketball requires far, FAR less resources than football, right? And that the extreme vast majority of schools that are good at football are NOT good at basketball, short of the ENORMOUS state schools, with all the money in the world? But, using Duke as an example.... I know Duke alumni. I guarantee you if the basketball program started slipping, they wouldn't be happy, but IN NO WAY would they be willing to sacrifice the strength of the university for the strength of the basketball program, while the fans, who don't do anything for Duke, ever, would be up in arms. Same thing here.

2) You absolutely are talking about my degree. Every fan who thinks football should be prioritized over academics, or criticizes "the administration" or the Trustees is talking directly about my degree. This is what limited resources means. It's a choice as to where the funding should go. End of story.

That's the point. Y'all think your say matters, at all, and it does not. And I'm not saying mine matters a ton either. But I have a seat at the table, and I understand how the University operates much, much better than any casual fan ever will.

You seem to not understand that without students/alumni there would not be a program. My college education is tied directly to its very existence.

Advertisement
Basketball is a completely different sport, a completely different landscape. It’s just totally irrelevant to this discussion, especially with Duke

Athletics r Athletics. Smh.

But since u wanna focus on football, that’s cool. Explain TCU’s success, including a new football stadium w/ **** near half the alumni.

1) You do realize that basketball requires far, FAR less resources than football, right? And that the extreme vast majority of schools that are good at football are NOT good at basketball, short of the ENORMOUS state schools, with all the money in the world? But, using Duke as an example.... I know Duke alumni. I guarantee you if the basketball program started slipping, they wouldn't be happy, but IN NO WAY would they be willing to sacrifice the strength of the university for the strength of the basketball program, while the fans, who don't do anything for Duke, ever, would be up in arms. Same thing here.

2) You absolutely are talking about my degree. Every fan who thinks football should be prioritized over academics, or criticizes "the administration" or the Trustees is talking directly about my degree. This is what limited resources means. It's a choice as to where the funding should go. End of story.

That's the point. Y'all think your say matters, at all, and it does not. And I'm not saying mine matters a ton either. But I have a seat at the table, and I understand how the University operates much, much better than any casual fan ever will.

You seem to not understand that without students/alumni there would not be a program. My college education is tied directly to its very existence.

No; I TOTALLY understand that. What u fail to understand is that w/o the non alums, The U don’t exist, PERIOD. So stop trying to talk chit about non alums that give a **** about this program.

And for the record, u don’t NEED to sacrifice education for sports & vise versa. ****, I’m not sure who said in this or any other thread that we should. Lol. Stanford doesn’t & neither does Duke which is u y I used them as an example.

But since u wanna focus on football, that’s cool. Explain TCU’s success, including a new football stadium w/ **** near half the alumni.

No, they're not. You can't compare singles tennis to football just like you can't compare basketball to football.

If you're comparing Texas, probably the most ravenous region for football on earth, to Miami, you are really lost as to the reality of the situation.

Miami recently got $100 million donation to name the School of Business. From an alumni. Do you see the difference here?

No, they're not. You can't compare singles tennis to football just like you can't compare basketball to football.

If you're comparing Texas, probably the most ravenous region for football on earth, to Miami, you are really lost as to the reality of the situation.

Miami recently got $100 million donation to name the School of Business. From an alumni. Do you see the difference here?

So it goes back to my point about certain alumni’s caring about the program while others who don’t. I get it, ur alum; but I have mucho friends who are alums including a friend currently in the law program. She can tell u herself that most in her curriculum can give two f’s about the football program. She’s more interested in having Miami Law behind her name.

Advertisement
No; I TOTALLY understand that. What u fail to understand is that w/o the non alums, The U don’t exist, PERIOD. So stop trying to talk chit about non alums that give a **** about this program.

And for the record, u don’t NEED to sacrifice education for sports & vise versa. Stanford doesn’t & neither does Duke which is u y I used them as an example.

Uhhh... please tell me how many football national championships Stanford and Duke have combined. Then look at every school that's won a national title since 1980 and tell me which ones are private and academically prestigious. I'll wait.

I don't think you can remotely comprehend your logical fallacy regarding non-alumni donors. The exact same thing could be said for every single private school on earth, because it takes someone who didn't graduate from there to put up the funds to start in. In our case, George Merrick.

My point, is still, that the people who are non-alums and give the money aren't the ones pitching a fit at THE UNIVERSITY about football performance.

So it goes back to my point about certain alumni’s caring about the program while others who don’t. I get it, ur alum; but I have mucho friends who are alums including a friend currently in the law program. She can tell u herself that most in her curriculum can give two f’s about the football program. She’s more interested in having Miami Law behind her name.

Yes, graduate school is VERY different, and people almost exclusively give to their undergrad alma mater. That's how it works. I have no interest in spending money on grad school, but I can assure you, if it wasn't Miami, they'd never get a dime from me beyond what my diploma costs.

Look, I don't know what you do for a living, but what you're doing is akin to me telling you all about your company and how it runs (and how it should run) because I bought a product from it once.

My point, to which you originally replied, maintains that the most vocal segment of the Miami fanbase are fans who don't give. The alums who give are not as vocal. The alums who don't give are not as vocal. The non-alums who give real money are not as vocal. It's message board yahoos, twitter warriors and banner-flyers who can't keep their mouths shut about something they don't support or understand.

@Rellyrell I'll make you a deal. I'll call up Alumni Relations and see if I can get data on alum vs. non-alum donations and the sizes of said donations. I'm curious. It'd probably be really, really difficult to compare the figures on a national level, but it should at least give an indication as to what the data looks like.

My expectation is alums make up the majority of donated money (that is not done in corporate name), and of non-alums, the vast majority comes from a few large donations, but the mean donation is under $5K.

Uhhh... please tell me how many football national championships Stanford and Duke have combined. Then look at every school that's won a national title since 1980 and tell me which ones are private and academically prestigious. I'll wait.

I don't think you can remotely comprehend your logical fallacy regarding non-alumni donors. The exact same thing could be said for every single private school on earth, because it takes someone who didn't graduate from there to put up the funds to start in. In our case, George Merrick.

My point, is still, that the people who are non-alums and give the money aren't the ones pitching a fit at THE UNIVERSITY about football performance.

So these donors didn’t light a fire under Blake’s *** to fire Golden?

Advertisement
@Rellyrell I'll make you a deal. I'll call up Alumni Relations and see if I can get data on alum vs. non-alum donations and the sizes of said donations. I'm curious. It'd probably be really, really difficult to compare the figures on a national level, but it should at least give an indication as to what the data looks like.

My expectation is alums make up the majority of donated money (that is not done in corporate name), and of non-alums, the vast majority comes from a few large donations, but the mean donation is under $5K.

Fa sho;

I too am curious; however, what do u think is the real problem going on? Why have we remained stagnant in the AD?

So these donors didn’t light a fire under Blake’s *** to fire Golden?

Some did. Some don't care about football. But it's still not relevant.

I'm still talking about the opinions of the fans who don't donate. Have been the whole time. And again, the extreme vast majority of the fanbase doesn't donate anything.

And I'm still saying that the ones who do, in a real way, are not PUBLICLY vocal in their criticism of the program.

Philip Frost has given tens of millions of dollars to The U. How many times have you heard him publicly bashing "the administration?"

Fa sho;

I too am curious; however, what do u think is the real problem going on? Why have we remained stagnant in the AD?

Sorry I don't get it... Blake James? Or just not getting success in football? If the latter, it's as I've said for years here. The major donors are limited. Some really, really care about football. Some don't, at all. So, on one hand, you have a Jeffrey Soffer (bad example as he doesn't care about football, but it's his money so bear with me), who can say something like "hey I'm willing to put up another $10 million but you have to do this and that for it." On the other, you get a guy like Frost, who says "hey I'll throw in another $10 million but I want it strictly used on academics."

When you give big money, there are almost always stipulations as to how it's spent and on what. So let's just say both of those guys are now Trustees, and we're looking to hire a football coach. One guy is going to go "we need to pay more because the football program is important and good coaches cost money," while the other guy goes "we cannot spend money on football at the expense of academics, and shouldn't spend that much."

The other factor is, we got lucky. Miami should not be as good at football as it is. So you have confirmation bias. The people who hold the purse strings can go "well we didn't use to really spend money and we've done well so we shouldn't have to spend money." Which we know does not work in CFB anymore.

I've referred to this post on University financing a few times and while it's not especially germane here, there are important foundational principles to this discussion as to how the money actually works.

The best AD in the world is not going to change Miami being a small, private school with limited resources relative to the big boys.

Sorry I don't get it... Blake James? Or just not getting success in football? If the latter, it's as I've said for years here. The major donors are limited. Some really, really care about football. Some don't, at all. So, on one hand, you have a Jeffrey Soffer (bad example as he doesn't care about football, but it's his money so bear with me), who can say something like "hey I'm willing to put up another $10 million but you have to do this and that for it." On the other, you get a guy like Frost, who says "hey I'll throw in another $10 million but I want it strictly used on academics."

When you give big money, there are almost always stipulations as to how it's spent and on what. So let's just say both of those guys are now Trustees, and we're looking to hire a football coach. One guy is going to go "we need to pay more because the football program is important and good coaches cost money," while the other guy goes "we cannot spend money on football at the expense of academics, and shouldn't spend that much."

The other factor is, we got lucky. Miami should not be as good at football as it is. So you have confirmation bias. The people who hold the purse strings can go "well we didn't use to really spend money and we've done well so we shouldn't have to spend money." Which we know does not work in CFB anymore.

I've referred to this post on University financing a few times and while it's not especially germane here, there are important foundational principles to this discussion as to how the money actually works.

The best AD in the world is not going to change Miami being a small, private school with limited resources relative to the big boys.
And yet we have hired 5 consecutive incompetent coaches. You can’t explain that!

Advertisement

Their boosters/fans contribute way more to the benefit of the football program. Next question.

Stadium discussions? Please don’t fall down that rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Those who would give up essential Academics, to purchase a little temporary Football Success, deserve neither Academics nor Football Success.

- Benjamin Franklin

Those who would give up essential Academics, to purchase a little temporary Football Success, deserve neither Academics nor Football Success.

- Benjamin Franklin
Those who would give up essential Academics, to purchase a little temporary wokeness creds, deserve neither Academics nor wokeness creds.

- Ben Franklin's Father

Advertisement
My sense is that Blake James wants coaching staffs to sink or swim on their own merits, thereby reducing his liability and culpability. He seems to be there in a very ancillary, "call me if you need anything"-type of way. He's positioned EReed as a buffer between Manny and himself further reducing his own footprint on the program. A strong AD wouldn't have allowed Manny to make the decision that he did, but I don't think Blake James is that guy.

I'd love to hear what the BoT thinks too.

A good, strong AD wouldn't have hired Manny in the 1st place.

Most good coaches don't need their hands held and have no problem working in a sink or swim environment.

Miami's improvement doesn't occur in a vacuum. Other ACC teams are also improving. Our problem isn't just Clemson, Clemson is working diligently to increase the gap. While Manny slowly improves, even NC has passed us and left us in the wind. Who's next?

IF you're looking for and willing to tolerate a coach and team that is slowly learning to win then he may be our man..... IF we're looking for championships anywhere in the near term he's clearly not.

Most good coaches don't need their hands held and have no problem working in a sink or swim environment.

Miami's improvement doesn't occur in a vacuum. Other ACC teams are also improving. Our problem isn't just Clemson, Clemson is working diligently to increase the gap. While Manny slowly improves, even NC has passed us and left us in the wind. Who's next?

IF you're looking for and willing to tolerate a coach and team that is slowly learning to win then he may be our man..... IF we're looking for championships anywhere in the near term he's clearly not.

Excuses are tools of the incompetent used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who excel in it, seldom excel in anything but excuses.

All I hear are excuses from certain alums regarding the incompetence of the program:
-Oh it’s the fans bashing the program openly who are not alums
-We’re a small private school
-Other small private schools have donators/booster that care
-We can’t sacrifice education for Athletics

-WHAT????

Yet, none of that have chit to do w/ simple chit; an incompetent ADs who have made ?able hires. And this whole rhetoric, which I’m pretty **** sure no fan like ever has even remotely hinted, that somehow we have to sacrifice E before W is the most bull chit I’ve heard in a minute. I would dare say that any alum stating that any fan is suggesting that or even hinting that is borderline gaslighting.

It’s clear why we remain stagnant. Boosters are just that; they boost. There still has to be leadership & direction to give boosters a game plan. Let’s put it like this: THE FACT THAT A NEW COACH HAD TO PUSH US TO GET AN IPF IN 20 MUTHA FCKIN 16, IS ALL WE NEED TO KNOW. THE FACT THAT SAME COACH HAD TO OUTLINE THE PLAN IS ALL WE NEED TO KNOW. ONCE A “PLAN” WAS PUT IN PLACE, THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE IPF & DONATIONS FLOODED IN ASAP. WHY? B/C THERE WAS DIRECTION, DIRECTION COMING FROM A COACH V. THE ADMIN.

If Richt didn’t push that, what’s the likelihood we have an IPF right now? Ppl don’t donate b/c we have an AD who’s not fit that don’t.............

U know what, nvm. We’re behind b/c fans complain on a message board full of Cane fans, and we’re small. LMAO.

I think everyone on this board will agree that Blake James will never be mistaken for Sam Jankovich. He probably will not be mistaken even for Paul Dee. Blake is most likely better than his predecessors, but I don't think that is saying alot.

If Miami gets an alpha leader/innovator in that position, success will trickle down to many areas of the athletic department despite the schools limitations.

Advertisement
Back