UM doesn't treat CFB like a business

Advertisement
I was in business management at J.P. Morgan by the time I was 26. Maybe you've heard of them?

Would you like to discuss with me your experience in successful businesses?
Do you think all the other 26 year olds who have ever worked at a bank are equally qualified as you to spout off on a football board, or was your experience somehow more profound?

Finance determines operations.

Please stop talking about business as if you understand it. Specifically, university finance. I seriously doubt you know the slightest thing about non-profit finance.
That’s the kind of loose comment you hear from two groups of people who tend to overlap: people who don’t know what they’re talking about, and arrogant people who worked in a finance job.

All you need to know to understand the failure of your point is a balance sheet. The left side tells you what you got. The right side tells you how you got it. Operations is what you do with it. (That’s why the call it operating income.).

You’re suggesting finance means expense absorption in the context of this thread, and also that that’s the only thing that matters to outcomes. It should be obvious that it’s not the only thing that matters - who and what you spend the money on matters a lot.

People who worked in finance tend to see the world through a finance lens. Nothing unusual about that but some self awareness can help.

Advertisement
15-0 says **** off mopes. We got your business right here.

Last edited:
Why does everyone think Manny calling plays on defense is somehow going to hinder him? There are plenty of P5 coaches that call their own plays on offense and no one says anything about them

Manny Lombardi will be the Andy Reid of the defensive side of the ball.

UM isn't serious about football. They don't have legitimate buy-in from the people who matter. The President isn't interested, the AD is unequivocally impotent, and the BoT is rudderless. Manny plays whack-a-mole when trying to solve problems. He doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support his inexperience or to allow for sustainable growth, and he doesn't have processes in place to build efficiency, consistency, and success. If there was ever a program that needed an outside consultant, it's this one. There's no adult in the room.

The news of Manny demoting himself back to play-calling duties is the perfect microcosm of the bigger problem facing the program. More than ever, Manny needed to step into his role as head coach and own it. He needed to have his fingerprints on the offense, defense, special teams, analysts, everyone's responsibilities, flow of communication between analysts, coaches, and himself in practice and in games, with data analytics, investment into behavioral science for the players and coaches, S&C, nutrition, and the reestablishment of clear targets for the program. Instead, he's positioned himself, by his own design, into a position which will limit his growth as a head coach. In this sort of scenario, Blake James should have stepped up and stopped it from happening. In fact, it never should have even been an option, but the problem is that the infrastructure isn't in place to prevent this.

It's not about the TRob hire, the Jess Simpson hire, or even Manny making the absurd move to resume play-calling duties. It's not about Manny putting his *** on the line by calling the defense, or trying to get rid of Manny or Blake. It's about whether UM has organized itself, created the right infrastructure, implemented the right processes, set the right targets, to maximize its potential as a program. That's what good programs, businesses, do to create success.
This is type of post happens when a Manny hater gets the news that Miami just hired a bunch of experienced coaches.

U Mad Reaction GIF

Why does everyone think Manny calling plays on defense is somehow going to hinder him? There are plenty of P5 coaches that call their own plays on offense and no one says anything about them

Obviously they had an amazing offense...but didn't Pete Carrol (USC) call plays and had DC duties when they won the Natty?

Advertisement
This is type of post happens when a Manny hater gets the news that Miami just hired a bunch of experienced coaches.

U Mad Reaction GIF
I'm not sure why some people even bother being fans if everything they do makes them so miserable. I really wish my biggest concerns in life were around "Miami taking football seriously". GTFOHWTBS

Aha!!! Hope OP and 26 butt buddies are living it up in the mope bath house !!!!

UM isn't serious about football. They don't have legitimate buy-in from the people who matter. The President isn't interested, the AD is unequivocally impotent, and the BoT is rudderless. Manny plays whack-a-mole when trying to solve problems. He doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support his inexperience or to allow for sustainable growth, and he doesn't have processes in place to build efficiency, consistency, and success. If there was ever a program that needed an outside consultant, it's this one. There's no adult in the room.

The news of Manny demoting himself back to play-calling duties is the perfect microcosm of the bigger problem facing the program. More than ever, Manny needed to step into his role as head coach and own it. He needed to have his fingerprints on the offense, defense, special teams, analysts, everyone's responsibilities, flow of communication between analysts, coaches, and himself in practice and in games, with data analytics, investment into behavioral science for the players and coaches, S&C, nutrition, and the reestablishment of clear targets for the program. Instead, he's positioned himself, by his own design, into a position which will limit his growth as a head coach. In this sort of scenario, Blake James should have stepped up and stopped it from happening. In fact, it never should have even been an option, but the problem is that the infrastructure isn't in place to prevent this.

It's not about the TRob hire, the Jess Simpson hire, or even Manny making the absurd move to resume play-calling duties. It's not about Manny putting his *** on the line by calling the defense, or trying to get rid of Manny or Blake. It's about whether UM has organized itself, created the right infrastructure, implemented the right processes, set the right targets, to maximize its potential as a program. That's what good programs, businesses, do to create success.

And just like in the business world, you should just take your business elsewhere.

Advertisement
QP accuses entire board of strangers of being second graders.

QP posts regularly on said board to harangue at said second graders.

And yet you still have absolutely nothing to indicate I'm wrong about anything I've said.

But apparently the truth hurts your fragile little feelings.

Advertisement
Some of these guys who constantly complain should donate some serious $$ and tell the administration on how to spend it

Then again those same people took two weeks to come up with $500 to fly a banner that accomplished nothing

All the people who complain about how Miami spends money are the same people who have never donated a dime, stepped on campus or actually been to a game.

The fans complain way, WAY more than the alumni.

All the people who complain about how Miami spends money are the same people who have never donated a dime, stepped on campus or actually been to a game.

The fans complain way, WAY more than the alumni.
ok I'll bite, I'm an alum who donates. I think Blake James does some very good things and some pretty ****** things with athletics. Mostly in ticket ops and marketing. I think coaching hires is an issue to discuss separately. I think he lacks vision I don't think he encourages his staff to act like they rep. a big brand. I don't think he hires enough knowledgeable people in key departments. (Marketing hurricane club etc.) they need better strategic planning more outreach with season ticket holders and football and basketball programs... that's a start

ok I'll bite, I'm an alum who donates. I think Blake James does some very good things and some pretty ****** things with athletics. Mostly in ticket ops and marketing. I think coaching hires is an issue to discuss separately. I think he lacks vision I don't think he encourages his staff to act like they rep. a big brand. I don't think he hires enough knowledgeable people in key departments. (Marketing hurricane club etc.) they need better strategic planning more outreach with season ticket holders and football and basketball programs... that's a start

Cool. Here is a rational take that isn't "Blake James SUCKS," "the ADMINISTRATION is to blame," or "FIRE EVERYONE AND HIRE ONLY FOOTBALL ALUMS!" Which is my point.

So, you've proven my point.

This still all boils down to what I've been on record discussing here many times. Many of the influential boosters care about football. Many don't, and or at least not to the point they're willing to prioritize it over academics. This should be expected at a private school in an extremely international city. Which makes for a nice jumping off point as to how we can do better without morons wanting to fly banners to fire coaches at a school they don't know anything about.

I think people are still not realizing that if not for James we're still not paying an HC $3 million a year. The Diaz "search" was an absolute disaster. But things are heading in the right direction. DiMare looks like he can be the guy for the baseball program. Things are WAY better than they were under Eichorst or that absolute moron Hocutt. But yeah, still needs work. And the extremely vocal non-alumni, non-donating fans don't help anything.

Advertisement
Back