UM doesn't treat CFB like a business

Advertisement
UM isn't serious about football. They don't have legitimate buy-in from the people who matter. The President isn't interested, the AD is unequivocally impotent, and the BoT is rudderless. Manny plays whack-a-mole when trying to solve problems. He doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support his inexperience or to allow for sustainable growth, and he doesn't have processes in place to build efficiency, consistency, and success. If there was ever a program that needed an outside consultant, it's this one. There's no adult in the room.

The news of Manny demoting himself back to play-calling duties is the perfect microcosm of the bigger problem facing the program. More than ever, Manny needed to step into his role as head coach and own it. He needed to have his fingerprints on the offense, defense, special teams, analysts, everyone's responsibilities, flow of communication between analysts, coaches, and himself in practice and in games, with data analytics, investment into behavioral science for the players and coaches, S&C, nutrition, and the reestablishment of clear targets for the program. Instead, he's positioned himself, by his own design, into a position which will limit his growth as a head coach. In this sort of scenario, Blake James should have stepped up and stopped it from happening. In fact, it never should have even been an option, but the problem is that the infrastructure isn't in place to prevent this.

It's not about the TRob hire, the Jess Simpson hire, or even Manny making the absurd move to resume play-calling duties. It's not about Manny putting his *** on the line by calling the defense, or trying to get rid of Manny or Blake. It's about whether UM has organized itself, created the right infrastructure, implemented the right processes, set the right targets, to maximize its potential as a program. That's what good programs, businesses, do to create success.

Miami absolutely treats it like a business ... the small business that is it for the University of Miami.

Private school. Limited resources. Small alumni base—and fan base mostly made up of non-alum that don't write checks.

Georgia just dumped $200,000,000 into their program two years back. One of their alum groups (Magill Society) is a minimum $25,000 to join—and it's getting over 1,200+ new members annually. The majority of what they're investing into their program is coming from alumni dollars.

An NCAA-leading $7M+ spent in over three years in recruiting, a $13M budget for Smart to pay his staff, ridiculous stadium upgrades (recruiting lounge, etc.).

The minute the University of Miami has $200,000,000 in alumni dollars to invest in football—that's the day you'll see UM treating it differently.

Until then, it will rely on adidas and ACC derived revenue to keep the lights on.

Fans want to see that change; start ponying up more cash.

Miami absolutely treats it like a business ... the small business that is it for the University of Miami.

Private school. Limited resources. Small alumni base—and fan base mostly made up of non-alum that don't write checks.

Georgia just dumped $200,000,000 into their program two years back. One of their alum groups (Magill Society) is a minimum $25,000 to join—and it's getting over 1,200+ new members annually. The majority of what they're investing into their program is coming from alumni dollars.

An NCAA-leading $7M+ spent in over three years in recruiting, a $13M budget for Smart to pay his staff, ridiculous stadium upgrades (recruiting lounge, etc.).

The minute the University of Miami has $200,000,000 in alumni dollars to invest in football—that's the day you'll see UM treating it differently.

Until then, it will rely on adidas and ACC derived revenue to keep the lights on.

That s jot a thoughtful response. The essence of business isn’t whining jealousy that someone else has better resources. It’s optimization of what you have. UM has not optimized. Anyone who thinks it has is insane.

Advertisement
All the people who complain about how Miami spends money are the same people who have never donated a dime, stepped on campus or actually been to a game.

The fans complain way, WAY more than the alumni.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I heard from other alumni, is that a lot of alumni can give two fcks about Miami Football. They are “casual fans;”support the team when they good.

Furthermore, the alumni base that support sports is pretty small. Therefore, majority of the support come from non-alumni. The Soffers come to mind. If majority of the support r non alum, it would stand to reason the bigger investors in the program, whether that’s financially or emotionally are the non-alum, which would make sense if they complain or voice displeasure, no?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I heard from other alumni, is that a lot of alumni can give two fcks about Miami Football. They are “casual fans;”support the team when they good.

Furthermore, the alumni base that support sports is pretty small. Therefore, majority of the support come from non-alumni. The Soffers come to mind. If majority of the support r non alum, it would stand to reason the bigger investors in the program, whether that’s financially or emotionally are the non-alum, which would make sense if they complain or voice displeasure, no?

You're wrong. Mostly. The ones who care, care. All of my friends care a lot more about the football program than the children on this board who throw temper tantrums over everything without having a clue about the University itself. The problem is, we actually understand the issues of being a small, private school. We also understand openly bashing the program is bad for the program.

Now, are there tons and tons of international students who barely understand football let alone are inclined to make charitable donations? Yes.

Yes, the alumni base is relatively small, because the school is small. And while yes, there is major support from non-alumni (Philip Frost, Paul DiMare, Jorge Perez and the like), that support far, far outweighs the people who are simply football fans who think their tickets = support. No one donating $10K or more a year is is coming on message boards bashing the program, or flying banners, or openly criticizing "the administration" when they don't even know what that means. The casual, non-alumni fan probably does not constitute 10% of donations Miami receives.

You're wrong. Mostly. The ones who care, care. All of my friends care a lot more about the football program than the children on this board who throw temper tantrums over everything without having a clue about the University itself. The problem is, we actually understand the issues of being a small, private school. We also understand openly bashing the program is bad for the program.

Now, are there tons and tons of international students who barely understand football let alone are inclined to make charitable donations? Yes.

Yes, the alumni base is relatively small, because the school is small. And while yes, there is major support from non-alumni (Philip Frost, Paul DiMare, Jorge Perez and the like), that support far, far outweighs the people who are simply football fans who think their tickets = support. No one donating $10K or more a year is is coming on message boards bashing the program, or flying banners, or openly criticizing "the administration" when they don't even know what that means. The casual, non-alumni fan probably does not constitute 10% of donations Miami receives.

Humor me;

Why do Miami talk about being a small private school when Duke is a smaller private school? I never hear Duke fans use that excuse. ****, TCU has a way smaller student population than Miami and I don’t hear their fans try to use that excuse.

Advertisement

This is what people don’t get. But they’ll come on here and complain about $25 parking, and why don’t we spend more on facilities without understanding one thing about the monetary landscape of college football. You just gave a small slice of it. At least for the big boys and P5. And it’s driven by booster dollars.

The slurpers love winning the offense season championship
E9DF1987-D5F3-45F6-A42D-56293CABD666.gif

Humor me;

Why do Miami talk about being a small private school when Duke is a smaller private school? I never hear Duke fans use that excuse. ****, TCU has a way smaller student population than Miami and I don’t hear their fans try to use that excuse.

Uhhh... Duke isn't good at football dude. Never have been. Their grads are probably pretty happy getting prestigious jobs that pay extremely well. You could use Northwestern, Tulane, etc. here. Do you think Princeton grads give one single rat's *** about how the football team plays?

What happened at Miami was, in part, a perfect storm (and you always intend the pun). Miami has no peers in college football. The closest you get is ND and they won the vast majority of their rings when only white guys could play. Now they have an insane amount of money.

Humor me: I left Miami with six figures in student debt, in addition to four years of very hard work. As an alum, would I want my degree to be as strong as one from Duke, even if it meant sacrificing football prestige? And second, why should I give one flying f%@k what someone who didn't go to the school thinks about "the administration" as it impacts MY degree?

Advertisement
This is what people don’t get. But they’ll come on here and complain about $25 parking, and why don’t we spend more on facilities without understanding one thing about the monetary landscape of college football. You just gave a small slice of it. At least for the big boys and P5. And it’s driven by booster dollars.
What about the people who complain about 5 consecutive incompetent head coach hires? Do they just not understand your financial wizardry either?

Advertisement
What about the people who complain about 5 consecutive incompetent head coach hires? Do they just not understand your financial wizardry either?

What does one thing have to do with the other? Completely different issues. We can agree about bad coaching hires while at the same time realistically looking at the competitive landscape and where Miami fits in. The smart *** remark about financial wizardry is unnecessary. It doesn’t take a financial wizard to understand what’s going on, just common sense and a little incentive to actually look beyond the surface issues, which most people here don’t have.

Uhhh... Duke isn't good at football dude. Never have been. Their grads are probably pretty happy getting prestigious jobs that pay extremely well. You could use Northwestern, Tulane, etc. here. Do you think Princeton grads give one single rat's *** about how the football team plays?

What happened at Miami was, in part, a perfect storm (and you always intend the pun). Miami has no peers in college football. The closest you get is ND and they won the vast majority of their rings when only white guys could play. Now they have an insane amount of money.

Humor me: I left Miami with six figures in student debt, in addition to four years of very hard work. As an alum, would I want my degree to be as strong as one from Duke, even if it meant sacrificing football prestige? And second, why should I give one flying f%@k what someone who didn't go to the school thinks about "the administration" as it impacts MY degree?

Pretty sure Duke is not only ranked higher than Miami in academics but have one of thee premier college basketball programs in America. They also have a solid Athletics dept in general, outside of football (although they have won the Coastal & have given us fits sans 2020).

Furthermore, no one is talking about ur degree so stay focus on the subject at hand. We’re talking about those who support the program, not ur college education.

Pretty sure Duke is not only ranked higher than Miami in academics but have one of thee premier college basketball programs in America. They also have a solid Athletics dept in general, outside of football (although they have won the Coastal & have given us fits sans 2020).

Furthermore, no one is talking about ur degree so stay focus on the subject at hand. We’re talking about those who support the program, not ur college education.

Basketball is a completely different sport, a completely different landscape. It’s just totally irrelevant to this discussion, especially with Duke

Why should anyone here give a **** about your degree? This is a football board. It’s hard enough to debate football. You obviously have elite university degree envy. People can differ about whether football helps the U or hurts it generally. You can think what you want.

Advertisement
Back