UM’s offense has entered the 21st century

Whatever lets you sleep at night, Richt.

the guy literally said his plays had been working for 30 years -- he was THAT out of touch with reality

Remember the sequel to Bad News Bears, when they went to the Astrodome(very underrated movie in my view, Tanner stole the show as Bob Watson implored everyone to 'let them play!!')? -- but anyways, last season Richt was that old groundskeeper that they got to greet the parents before they all hopped into the van and left for Houston.

Advertisement
Why would he be embarrassed, he's won national titles with that offense he ran, had 2 heisman trophy qb's at Fsu and almost had another at UGA in matthew stafford. The article clearly stated that coach richt simplifying the offense was because he knew the players werent ready to run something more complex. Especially at the qb position, and o-line. Seems like most of the players talking were True freshman last year, so their words dont hold much weight when it came to the overall operation of the offense. Im glad the players are excited but even coach enos would tell you, his resume as an oc doesnt come nowhere close to what coach richt has accomplished as an oc or headcoach.

But he's in the right place now, a furthermore, coach enos respects the talent that coach richt brought in. People have amnesia, coach richt was only here for 3 years but accomplished a whole lot in a short time and was just getting this programs talent level back up, corey gaynor redshirting last was an example of coach richt getting this teams talent an maturity levels correct. The young crybabies from last year, most of them didnt even know their plays.

Uhm, did you miss the part where the other team knew the plays?

This is all well and good. Every time a new coaching staff takes over we’re treated to article after article about how the previous staff was clueless and the new one has bigger and better ways of doing things. That’s fine.

But if I don’t see real improvement that results in a win over the crocs this weekend I will be very disappointed.

Advertisement
the guy literally said his plays had been working for 30 years -- he was THAT out of touch with reality

Remember the sequel to Bad News Bears, when they went to the Astrodome(very underrated movie in my view, Tanner stole the show as Bob Watson implored everyone to 'let them play!!')? -- but anyways, last season Richt was that old groundskeeper that they got to greet the parents before they all hopped into the van and left for Houston.
Some folks think richt gave up and semi retired. I disagree. I think it’s more likely that he was truly incapable as an offensive coordinator, and lacked any idea what to do. If he understood offenses, he would have been able to diagnose problems and make adjustments. Semi retired or not, he had to lead a team, a staff, and answer to the press. I think the fallacy is thinking he was ever a good OC. I think he was genuinely perplexed that his plays weren’t working because he had no idea why they ever worked. He was like the wizzard of oz - a tired old man who had convinced people he was something that he wasn’t.

And offense isn’t complicated. It reduces to creating confusion (masking intentions and misleading), creating optionality, and revealing defensive intentions. If you do those things, and players execute, you will move the ball. Richt created no confusion, limited optionality, and limited defensive reveals. He stacked the deck against our kids.

Some folks think richt gave up and semi retired. I disagree. I think it’s more likely that he was truly incapable as an offensive coordinator, and lacked any idea what to do. If he understood offenses, he would have been able to diagnose problems and make adjustments. Semi retired or not, he had to lead a team, a staff, and answer to the press. I think the fallacy is thinking he was ever a good OC. I think he was genuinely perplexed that his plays weren’t working because he had no idea why they ever worked. He was like the wizzard of oz - a tired old man who had convinced people he was something that he wasn’t.

And offense isn’t complicated. It reduces to creating confusion (masking intentions and misleading), creating optionality, and revealing defensive intentions. If you do those things, and players execute, you will move the ball. Richt created no confusion, limited optionality, and limited defensive reveals. He stacked the deck against our kids.

Go back to his last 5 years or so at UGa, there was a real decline, even their wins were Nail biters vs bad teams. Their fan base knew it was time for him to depart

As Franchise has pointed out, post-Stafford, his QB evaluations were awful

Then he hired lil Jon....

Go back to his last 5 years or so at UGa, there was a real decline, even their wins were Nail biters vs bad teams. Their fan base knew it was time for him to depart

As Franchise has pointed out, post-Stafford, his QB evaluations were awful

Then he hired lil Jon....

I'm willing to blame Richt where it's appropriate, but I'm glad that he recruited Jarren.

All I can think of is last years game versus LSU at this time of the year. The 2017 season was still fresh in my mind and I was all hyped up that we would improve off that season, only this time around we wouldn't falter like we did because our guys had another year under their belt.

LSU couldn't get here fast enough... I expected revenge for that 40-3 butt whipping they gave us back in the day. I was treated to another butt whipping, but it was our butts getting whipped yet again.

Now I read all these comments from these kids about how good so and so is, and how great this new system is compared to last year. I don't want to hear these kids talk the talk, I want to see them walk the walk.

Impress me... make a statement and seriously humiliate the jort wearing turds!

Advertisement

Retirement is not working. Running the same stuff you've been running for decades and refusing to evolve is semi-retirement. Richt didn't want to challenge himself to learn new things and fix problems. The gameplan hardly ever changed week to week. He was dogging it and he knew it hence the retirement.

I'm willing to blame Richt where it's appropriate, but I'm glad that he recruited Jarren.

Even that comes with an asterisk because they went all in on Sitkowski until they realized how terrible he was, then got lucky that Jarren didn't really come on the scene until mid way through his senior year. They were pretty close to not signing a QB at all that year. Think about that.

And they weren't going to sign one in this class if Richt had stayed, after the whiffed on Michael Johnson and recruited no one else. The 2019 depth chart would have been Perry and Williams. That's it.

This is all well and good. Every time a new coaching staff takes over we’re treated to article after article about how the previous staff was clueless and the new one has bigger and better ways of doing things. That’s fine.

But if I don’t see real improvement that results in a win over the crocs this weekend I will be very disappointed.

This.

The offense won’t be firing on all
Cylinders in their first game so I’m not sure what you are expecting. The positive here is that we actually have a true collegiate OC with the talent to worn with. Our offense should improve each week.

I don't think we need to fire on all cylinders our first game, or master a new system - all we have to do is for our players to each beat their man.

Like a charging bear - at you and your buddy. You don't have to outrun the bear - just your buddy.

We can work on mastery as the year goes on.

Advertisement

I was with you until what you claim is the evidence you need. A win on the first weekend or "very disappointed?" No excuses here, and I'm ready to analyze every game and the season as whole right next to ya'll, but everyone realizes whatever happens on Saturday will be a tiny glimpse of what we should see by November, right?

This reminds me of a great article I have saved from a UGA beat writer. It broke down how Richt was only truly a successful play caller at FSU -- off a system he inherited and was already a well oiled machine when he took over -- and how he had a built-in advantage that was too much for opponents to overcome. The advantage being that most schools across CFB were predominately running schools back then, and FSU was one of the few schools that had a system reliant on the passing game. So basically, if you're the one opponent all year on a team's schedule that would run that type of offense, it's not difficult to find success.

Even in his "prime" Richt was never this offensive guru/mastermind that so many people were tricked into believing.

Link to the article because it's absolutely worth reading: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ogs-should-blame-mark-richt-and-not-mike-bobo

This reminds me of a great article I have saved from a UGA beat writer. It broke down how Richt was only truly a successful play caller at FSU -- off a system he inherited and was already a well oiled machine when he took over -- and how he had a built-in advantage that was too much for opponents to overcome. The advantage being that most schools across CFB were predominately running schools back then, and FSU was one of the few schools that had a system reliant on the passing game. So basically, if you're the one opponent all year on a team's schedule that would run that type of offense, it's not difficult to find success.

Even in his "prime" Richt was never this offensive guru/mastermind that so many people were tricked into believing.

Link to the article because it's absolutely worth reading: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ogs-should-blame-mark-richt-and-not-mike-bobo
This video explaining fsu offense Richt in first few minutes explain how they came into that offense.. Its was really simple and the defenses were nowhere near prepared for it..

When they first started it, they had like 1 formation, maybe 3 or 4 pass plays and no running plays just to give you example

Advertisement

View attachment 94075

Lol if people seriously think the offense won’t improve immediately

Defensive coordinator Blake Baker said this is as sophisticated an offense as he’s been around-

“In the passing game, it’s much more complicated; it gives our defense fits in practice,” Baker said. “There’s a lot of what I call rule breakers, things we’ve got to get together as a defensive staff and talk about. As a defensive coordinator, that’s when you know you’re playing an [offensive coordinator] that knows what he’s doing. When he’s breaking your rules every time, he’s not just throwing stuff on the wall and hoping it sticks. He’s been very impressive to work with.”

I think one fact people are overlooking is how having Enos as the OC is going to positively affect not only the Offense, but also the Defense. Because Pastor Richt's Offense didn't prepare the defense adequately in practice, we ended up struggling against teams with formidable passing offenses like UVA, Clemson, & Wisconsin in 17'. Having our Defense practice against an Offense that challenges them in a multitude of ways is going to pay huge dividends for that side of the ball moving forward. In my opinion this is an actual example of Iron sharpening Iron

Last edited:
Us being in the college football playoff rankings under Richt shows just how unbelievably talented we actually are. We had a horrible QB with the worse OC in the nation & at one point were 10-0 & ranked #2 in the nation. Let that sink in.
That blows my mind actually. We got all the way to number 2, unbelievable.

Advertisement
Back