UF-Miami matchups

I wouldn't say UF has that big an advantage at LB:

Neiron Ball
Darrin Kitchens
Michael Taylor
Fowler (Buck)

Fowler and Perryman are probably comparable in terms of talent, but are those other guys that much better than Kirby, McCord, Gaines/Figatron?

DBs may also be a wash:

Riggs
Roberson
Maye
Watkins

vs

Bush
Jenkins
Howard
Gunter

Dude Fowler is 6'3 260 and plays the Buck #cmonman

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coaching - Miami

based on?

and i'm not a muschamp guy at all really, he wouldn't have made a top 5 list of coaches i wanted at uf. but he inherited a uf roster with 65 scholarship players and an offense entirely recruited for the spread. in his second year he took that team to an 11-2 record against the nations #2 schedule. golden might end up surpassing all that but i don't see how you could logically give miami a coaching edge at this point.

Coaching - Miami

based on?

and i'm not a muschamp guy at all really, he wouldn't have made a top 5 list of coaches i wanted at uf. but he inherited a uf roster with 65 scholarship players and an offense entirely recruited for the spread. in his second year he took that team to an 11-2 record against the nations #2 schedule. golden might end up surpassing all that but i don't see how you could logically give miami a coaching edge at this point.

Look at their resume's. Golden is more proven up to this point. One year results doesn't make a coach.

Coaching - Miami

based on?

I think Muschamp is a total ****** but it's laughable to say Miami has an edge in coaching.

I think some of our position guys are extremely good but as far as up top, we have nothing but question marks.

Advertisement
Coaching - Miami

based on?

Look at their resume's. Golden is more proven up to this point. One year results doesn't make a coach.

i still don't know how you can say that.

muschamp has had a top 10 defensive unit everywhere he has coached. saban thought enough of him to make him a member on his dolphin staff (assistant head coach iirc) and he mack brown and texas thought enough of him to make him head coach in waiting at arguably the top job in the country. and as mentioned what he has done at uf so far.

golden did some good things at temple but as far as what both have accomplished at their current schools, i don't know how you can say so definitively miami has the coaching edge. we will see, we lost our defensive coordinator who was a stud and you guys lost fisch who i thought was very good along with some others.

I prefer to isolate a logical big picture theme instead of nitpicking minutiae. Florida has been weaned as a more rugged team. That should be the difference, unless the Canes capitalize on the scoreboard early while we own the energy and before we've suffered too many punches to the gut.

Otherwise, the flow of the game will steadily favor the Gators. They'll cave in our finesse plays more often than we dare expect. They'll get pressure on the punter and create a big play or two on special teams, simply by being more relentless. It will look quite a bit like Florida's second half methodical punishment of Texas A&M last year on the road.

Obviously I hope my scenario is dead wrong but as a handicapper for 25+ years I try to apply the situational scenario that fits. In this case, Florida has simply followed its blueprint for a longer period, stockpiling premium talent and forced to be physical in their league. Golden has done an admirable patchwork job but we can't ignore that most of it is frosting...skill position players and smaller guys. You don't give up as many points as we did last year without a weak chin. This is somewhat like Hearns vs. Hagler. We need to shock them early otherwise the trend is the other way.

Morris provides a chance. Maybe we'll produce big plays out of nowhere despite the flow of the game running against us.

I think you're over estimating UF's physical advantage over Miami. Hope Vegas does as well.
I think where your analysis fails is not taking into account Miami''s youth last year being the reason for their "weak" chin and not necessarily them reaching a strength ceiling that they can't surpass as they mature physically, which by all off season account have.
I see this as 2 evenly matched teams, with the home field giving Miami a slight edge.
Another big picture factor not being considered that could play into the results is Miami's motivation factor of having been through the NCAA ringer and everything that that experience has brought. You kind of heard it between the lines from Golden in the ACC media days where he mentioned he'll remember the negative recruiting from rivals so I think this is a card Golden and the team will be using going into the season and one the players will buy into.
Add all this up and I think Miami comes away the victors in a tough fought battle.

Coaching - Miami

based on?

muschamp has had a top 10 defensive unit everywhere he has coached. saban thought enough of him to make him a member on his dolphin staff (assistant head coach iirc) and he mack brown and texas thought enough of him to make him head coach in waiting at arguably the top job in the country. and as mentioned what he has done at uf so far.

golden did some good things at temple but as far as what both have accomplished at their current schools, i don't know how you can say so definitively miami has the coaching edge. we will see, we lost our defensive coordinator who was a stud and you guys lost fisch who i thought was very good along with some others.

different circumstances both coach faced is what led to their respective results. Coaching prowess was a non factor.
Basically up to this point Muschamp could be a Larry Coker/ Shannon type coach that inherited a solid foundation and won early because of it or he could be a budding Saban.. No one knows. Like I said, One good season doesn't make a coach.

Advertisement
The key matchup for me is our interior OL vs. their interior DL. Miami's tackles handled FSU's ends, but FSU's short and quick DTs repeatedly flushed a gimpy Morris out of the pocket. Dealing with guys like that has been a problem for this offensive line since Maryland 2011. It's the drawback of being so big and tall.

Dominique Easley is a player with tremendous quickness who can be beaten at the point of attack. We can't let him get going.

The only interior DL that did anything against Miami was ND, and that's because Nix is a **** beast.

I don't know what DT gave us problems in the FSU game cause I was watching Feliciano the whole game and he was kicking the **** out of their DT's. On top of that, I have a hard time believing that Linder had any problems with their DT's either.

What people forget is, we could've ran the ball that game. We CHOSE not to.

Coaching - Miami

based on?

different circumstances both coach faced is what led to their respective results. Coaching prowess was a non factor.
Basically up to this point Muschamp could be a Larry Coker/ Shannon type coach that inherited a solid foundation and won early because of it or he could be a budding Saban.. No one knows. Like I said, One good season doesn't make a coach.

we're talking body as a whole here.

i also think you're overrating muschamp's foundation. he inherited 65 scholaship players. his first year we had 3 qb's and two of them were true freshmen and there was practically zero talent on the offensive side of the ball. the only foundation left was on defense but even there had holes. for example his first year we were playing 210 lb. jelani jenkins in the middle of his defense while playing true freshmen like roberson all over the field. but if you're going to make that claim he inherited a solid foundation you have to give him the credit as he got them after their true freshmen year. so they played under him their sophomore and junior years, and you can throw in the seniors for this year. those same guys hadn't played really any ball before he got there so all their development came under him.

I wouldn't say UF has that big an advantage at LB:

Neiron Ball
Darrin Kitchens
Michael Taylor
Fowler (Buck)

Fowler and Perryman are probably comparable in terms of talent, but are those other guys that much better than Kirby, McCord, Gaines/Figatron?

DBs may also be a wash:

Riggs
Roberson
Maye
Watkins

vs

Bush
Jenkins
Howard
Gunter

Dude Fowler is 6'3 260 and plays the Buck #cmonman

Since when does size = talent?

negged

Advertisement
based on?

i also think you're overrating muschamp's foundation. he inherited 65 scholaship players. his first year we had 3 qb's and two of them were true freshmen and there was practically zero talent on the offensive side of the ball. the only foundation left was on defense but even there had holes. for example his first year we were playing 210 lb. jelani jenkins in the middle of his defense while playing true freshmen like roberson all over the field. but if you're going to make that claim he inherited a solid foundation you have to give him the credit as he got them after their true freshmen year. so they played under him their sophomore and junior years, and you can throw in the seniors for this year. those same guys hadn't played really any ball before he got there so all their development came under him.

I think almost every single 2011 starter for the gators was a 4 star or 5 star. yeah throw out the number 65 and throw out the change of offensive scheme (both valid), but also mention that the 65 scholarship players present were literally wanted by every team in the nation and were not all underclassmen

Coaching - Miami

based on?

People from your world have so much to lose. Now, you think because your mommy and your daddy got shot, you know about the ugly side of life, but you don't. You've never tasted desperate. You're kkklan Almighty, the Prince of CIS; you'd have to go a thousand miles to meet someone who didn't know your name. So, don't come down here with your anger, trying to prove something to yourself. This is a world you'll never understand. And you always fear what you don't understand. Alright.

Coaching - Miami

LOLOL.

What the other posters said. Al took over an experienced crew in a weak ACC and reeled of a 6-6 mark and then 7-6? Muschump went 11-2 against the best the SEC has to offer with DRISKEL. UF is tough and physical, nobody has said that about UM in a loooooong time. I believe coaching is reflected in the fundamentals. You can't field a D ranked 118 and claim and a O with a middling rushing attack and claim that staff is better than a crew that went 11-2 in the SEC.

You can't

You want to cling to their cumulative records, be my guest. But, Muschump inherited a disaster and engineered a near miracle last year while Al fielded the worst D ever assembled at UM and reeled off a 7-5 season while losing to powerhouses like Va., again.

I like Al and think he'll be fine, but at this juncture, there is no way one can objectively conclude that UM has a better staff.

Advertisement
Coaching - Miami

LOLOL.

What the other posters said. Al took over an experienced crew in a weak ACC and reeled of a 6-6 mark and then 7-6? Muschump went 11-2 against the best the SEC has to offer with DRISKEL. UF is tough and physical, nobody has said that about UM in a loooooong time. I believe coaching is reflected in the fundamentals. You can't field a D ranked 118 and claim and a O with a middling rushing attack and claim that staff is better than a crew that went 11-2 in the SEC.

You can't

You want to cling to their cumulative records, be my guest. But, Muschump inherited a disaster and engineered a near miracle last year while Al fielded the worst D ever assembled at UM and reeled off a 7-5 season while losing to powerhouses like Va., again.

I like Al and think he'll be fine, but at this juncture, there is no way one can objectively conclude that UM has a better staff.

Your second sentence wreaks of stupidity. I understand your point, but nonetheless I couldn't take your post seriously b/c of that 2nd sentence.

Coaching. Plenty of folks outcoached Muschump, whether their teams won or choked notwithstanding, but damnit, Golden has to show up for this one.

I think almost every single 2011 starter for the gators was a 4 star or 5 star. yeah throw out the number 65 and throw out the change of offensive scheme (both valid), but also mention that the 65 scholarship players present were literally wanted by every team in the nation and were not all underclassmen

that's not true. in 2011'-12 uf played more freshman than anybody in the country that year when they went 6-6. all of them weren't 4 or 5 star either. i'm also not sure how you discount the 65 scholarship players, that affects every area of the program. the ncaa uses scholarship reductions as a penalty for a reason. uf's 65 players will be less than the amount usc will play with under their sanctions going forward for example.

Coaching - Miami

LOLOL.

You can't

Again, going off a one year sample size doesn't favor you in this argument.
And LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL @ Wuzchamp inheriting a disaster.. He inherited a program built by a TOP 5 HC in the United Statez of America.. Golden inherited a program built by a career LB coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back