UF-Miami matchups

killa1storm

All-ACC
if you're a bit like me, you love to watch the matchups within games when trying to project outcomes.

so what matchups between the different units of both teams are you looking forward to?

for me the biggest one is uf's secondary against miami's receivers. some are projecting uf to have the best secondary in the country with purifoy being a 1st rounder and roberson being a fringe 1st-2nd round guy. watkins has also started the last 3 years inside and outside. we have some uncertainty at safety, all guys who have played a lot but with few starts. i'm interested to see how a guy like dorsett will challenge our safeties deep plus the addition of a guy like coley who i felt was the best player in the state last year. i feel really good about our secondary and i know you guys feel the same about your receivers.

the second matchup i'm watching is miami's o-line against our d-line. compiling rosters, miami will have the biggest o-line in the country next year. we lose floyd but easley moves back inside to make up for it and muschamp has called fowler the best d-lineman he's seen in the last 10 years which is very high praise. he flashed a lot last year but we'll see how he adjusts to being a full-time starter. i'm especially anxious to see him go up against a guy like seantrel who is a 1st round talent.

question: looking over some stats i was surprised to see your o-line struggle some against the likes of fsu and nd which was surprising. not because they struggled because both were great defenses, but they struggled more than their talent would suggest they would. what was the reason for that? scheme, injuries, etc.?

thoughts?

Advertisement
Agree.

This will be a huge test for our WRs and OL. If they're not ready for this game, they just aren't good enough imo.

Advertisement
Miami's Oline actually did very well in pass blocking fsu and nd, the problem with the oline is they couldn't get a push or open creases for the run game. Hopefully with another year of strength training and experience that will change. We should be able to pass block against the gators but i still don't think we will be able to run consistently. The match up between the receivers and dbs should be fun to watch.

I think it will come down to whether our ends can generate any kind of consistent pass rush and keep Driskell in the pocket.

Seantrel is the RT as of now.

Our OL falls all over themselves when we try to run the ball. When they're able to engage people they execute well, but they're very uncoordinated a lot of the time. I don't know if it's coaching or what, but they better get better at run blocking or we're destined to become a spread team.

Advertisement
I was shocked at how UF manhandled FSU on both lines of scrimmage in the second half of the game last year. We have to become way more physical on both lines if we expect to be in this game. We have got to establish some kind of running game to have any chance, it's time for our offense to prove they can do it against the big boys. The bigger question is if our DL can present any kind of obstacle to the UF running game, if not we are screwed.

I think Floridas offense is going to be much better then last year....

To me the best matchup is going to be our receicers versus their dbs and vice versa.... our secondary is going to have to stepup big just like floridas.

your florida secondary is overrated

thanks for not adding to the discussion.

Sounds to me like he is.

He's stating that he believes your secondary is overrated, and I agree with him.

You have a very good DL, and their ability to pass rush makes your secondary look better than it really is.

Also, Matt Elam played a big role in your secondary's success last year.

I feel like you're going to see a bit of drop off because of his absence.

Advertisement
If I take my orange/green shades off, I would have to say that our Offense, especially the WR and O line are overrated.

they didn't do jack against Kstate, ND, and UNC.

a lot of the WR's stats are from Duke, USF, and NC state (where they clearly threw the game)

\but my shades are never off.

Our OL was great all year last year in pass protection. FSU's tandem of first round caliber DEs were largely negated on passing downs. But, our OL was never able to consistently get it going in the running game and I really struggle to understand why. Because when you look at the individual parts, they are all guys who should be very strong run blockers. I can only guess that something about Fisch's schematic approach didn't compliment our OL well. But, if others have answers, I'd love to hear them

I was shocked at how UF manhandled FSU on both lines of scrimmage in the second half of the game last year. We have to become way more physical on both lines if we expect to be in this game. We have got to establish some kind of running game to have any chance, it's time for our offense to prove they can do it against the big boys. The bigger question is if our DL can present any kind of obstacle to the UF running game, if not we are screwed.

i was shocked at that as well. i wasn't shocked about what our d-line did to them, they did that to **** near everyone. but our o-line pushed their vaunted d-line around which i did not expect at all. we were able to control the game on the ground which limited the need for driskel, and even then he still almost effed it up smh. if miami forces uf into 25+ throws i think they win.

Advertisement
Your DL and Secondary are very strong, even with the loss of key starters I believe. Your LB corps is suspect though. From what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong, your corps is thin and just lost their best player to suspension. But to put it in perspective, if this years UF defense played last years Miami offense, they (meaning UF) would likely dominate. But this years a little bit different and just how different is yet to be determined. It all depends on Morris' jump and progression and the O-line's progression. Overall, I think Miami will have a much more mature and confident offense. They'll compete and score but it might not be enough.

Miami's Oline actually did very well in pass blocking fsu and nd, the problem with the oline is they couldn't get a push or open creases for the run game. Hopefully with another year of strength training and experience that will change. We should be able to pass block against the gators but i still don't think we will be able to run consistently. The match up between the receivers and dbs should be fun to watch.

It wasn't the case with fsu IIRC but vs ND we couldn't open up any holes in large part due to us being one dimensional. We had so many drops that game that they played us run heavy.

if you're a bit like me, you love to watch the matchups within games when trying to project outcomes.

so what matchups between the different units of both teams are you looking forward to?

for me the biggest one is uf's secondary against miami's receivers. some are projecting uf to have the best secondary in the country with purifoy being a 1st rounder and roberson being a fringe 1st-2nd round guy. watkins has also started the last 3 years inside and outside. we have some uncertainty at safety, all guys who have played a lot but with few starts. i'm interested to see how a guy like dorsett will challenge our safeties deep plus the addition of a guy like coley who i felt was the best player in the state last year. i feel really good about our secondary and i know you guys feel the same about your receivers.

the second matchup i'm watching is miami's o-line against our d-line. compiling rosters, miami will have the biggest o-line in the country next year. we lose floyd but easley moves back inside to make up for it and muschamp has called fowler the best d-lineman he's seen in the last 10 years which is very high praise. he flashed a lot last year but we'll see how he adjusts to being a full-time starter. i'm especially anxious to see him go up against a guy like seantrel who is a 1st round talent.

question: looking over some stats i was surprised to see your o-line struggle some against the likes of fsu and nd which was surprising. not because they struggled because both were great defenses, but they struggled more than their talent would suggest they would. what was the reason for that? scheme, injuries, etc.?

thoughts?

FL like other SEC schools and really any top 10 team, it starts up front, stop the run make the QB make mistakes.
I know we all know Stephen is a good solid QB...but do you think he scares any team..you know DUKE is all they are worried about not Stephen this could be to our advantage if Stephen has learned to control the game, make good reads and better throws...we all know his arm but when was the last time he consistently picked a team apart, lots of his big exciting throws are deep and broken plays....I expect UF to do what other ACC teams have done, Take away the run game and make SM beat them...I like our odds

I think our DL vs their OL is the main mach up and the one that will pretty much dictate the outcome.

Advertisement
Back