Tyler Harrell and Elijah Arroyo...

This “current substitution pattern” coachspeak is why corches are corches. Mike leach is rolling in his grave hearing those words. If “substitution patterns” is preventing your most explosive players from seeing the field much (even when the offense is struggling), then adjust your substitution patterns to get guys like Harrell, arroyo, CJJ, Ray Ray, Horton, et al on the field more.
It’s not like our offense has been struggling and Harrell and RayRay have been on the field and gotten chances they just haven’t done much

If the offense was struggling all year I could understand the clamoring for the backups but we’ve been rolling up until TVD hitting a bit of a rough patch

Advertisement
It’s not like our offense has been struggling and Harrell and RayRay have been on the field and gotten chances they just haven’t done much

If the offense was struggling all year I could understand the clamoring for the backups but we’ve been rolling up until TVD hitting a bit of a rough patch

I think part of the reason we've been so effective on offense is how we've mixed in our plays and sprinkled in some specific plays for our playmakers (BSmith, Ray Ray, et al).

Harrell is a speed demon and I yet to see him in a game and running a deep post. Or BSmith, he had a couple plays that night and one tough. Get him the ball more. Would have loved to see Ray Ray come into the game for a series to run a jet sweep, a screen, or whatever.

We have 2 big time weapons for their respective positions, and we need to use them in this game.

If UNc wants to copy what GT did defensively you can make them pay with these 2 players.

Arroyo working the seam and middle of field, and Harrell stretching the field.

I'm not sure Dawson is the crunchiest pickle in the jar, but he needs to involve Harrell in the deep passing game. Even if Harrell is running a deep post he will attract attention.

We have tried going deep once to Harrell all season, and he was overthrown. Let the Ferrari out of the garage.

Heck, arroyo is much better when we are going to use a TE out wide. Any route.

Harrell is not a great route runner. Let him run deep with go/post routes 10-15 times a game forcing that safety to back out every time he is on the field.

Advertisement
Perhaps we should consider more 4WR looks with Harrell in the slot. Or, bump him outside and have George and Restrepo as opposite slots. Sure, we take Cam’s (or Williams’) motion and blocking off the table, but IMO, we make matters far more uncomfortable for defenses with this lineup or ones like it. I’m still happy to matchup our 5 OL against extremely light boxes. Or, if the defense prefers, Young/George/Restrepo/Harrell or Young/Restrepo/Smith/George against 5 DBs (if the defense chooses to bring another defender into the box), help us dictate to the defense.

I would do this a lot against Clemson.

Season 6 Gym GIF by ABC Network

Harrell hasnt done anything when he’s in.
Has he even had a chance to actually do anything, we dont even let him stretch his legs, lol..

Like they put chris johnson in ONE rep and threw him a 2 yard route with no blocking and he couldnt even turn up field he was tackled and pulled from the game immediately, like you only got 2 yards on your one rep, you didnt do anything, like we playing madden.. :ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Brashard got a carry out the backfield, got ankle tackled on a play where if he was able to shake free he coulda made something happen but yea didnt see much after that either.. I just dont think you can put guys who barely get any reps first month of season then ask them to do something with ONE rep and make something happen like some video game..

Oline created holes but we didn’t have any explosive runs. We were able to gain 5-10 yards, but nothing explosive. Dawson’s words, not mine.

Give me Chris Johnson Jr.

Advertisement
I think part of the reason we've been so effective on offense is how we've mixed in our plays and sprinkled in some specific plays for our playmakers (BSmith, Ray Ray, et al).

Harrell is a speed demon and I yet to see him in a game and running a deep post. Or BSmith, he had a couple plays that night and one tough. Get him the ball more. Would have loved to see Ray Ray come into the game for a series to run a jet sweep, a screen, or whatever.
I get it in some ways. Defenses don’t seem to be giving us the deep shots so it limits some things

Same time I haven’t really seen any reason why any of those guys should be getting snaps over the starters

Only explosive play from any of them was CJ and that was against Bethune which doesn’t count

Just not sure you fix something that’s not broken

Doesn’t make any sense to me that we would try to get these guys the ball more when the guys have been producing at a high level all season

We are really complaining about the offense right now?

Ray Ray has been out there. Harrell has been out there. They’ve done nothing. Brashard I like but who do we take snaps away from? The starters are doing great.

This feels like taking a game that lacked explosive plays and knee jerk reactions saying put in all
the fast guys as if our starters aren’t legit
I dont want it to come across as nitpicky because it can turn to something its not, I just think there is a way to get 5-6 wr reps in flow of game while also developing other guys while keeping the starters the starters.. Other teams do it.. but I also think Its hard to say "ray ray has been out there, Harrell has been out there, they have done nothing" like how much real reps they got.. Are they in garbage time where we just running the ball and they blocking, how many actual targets?

Heck some might say TVD need to target some other starters more, he was even asked about it by media today, so if they not getting enough touches to some, how can guys who barely get reps be thought of as "they have done nothing" they barely even play..

I dont want it to come across as nitpicky because it can turn to something its not, I just think there is a way to get 5-6 wr reps in flow of game while also developing other guys while keeping the starters the starters.. Other teams do it.. but I also think Its hard to say "ray ray has been out there, Harrell has been out there, they have done nothing" like how much real reps they got.. Are they in garbage time where we just running the ball and they blocking, how many actual targets?

Heck some might say TVD need to target some other starters more, he was even asked about it by media today, so if they not getting enough touches to some, how can guys who barely get reps be thought of as "they have done nothing" they barely even play..
I actually went back and deleted that post but you got to it before I did

Because even my response I’m like alright this conversation is getting off track

I agree with what you guys are saying. You’re not knee jerk reacting to one loss like “PLAY THE BACKUPS AND FRESHMANS” 😂

I’m probably the biggest Ray Ray fan on the board and CJ is definitely a man for the future. Same time I kinda give the coaches some leeway here because they’ve been singing those guys praises too. So I feel like they do want them to make an impact it’s just not coming together yet, part of it being the starters are really having good seasons too

Advertisement
I get it in some ways. Defenses don’t seem to be giving us the deep shots so it limits some things

Same time I haven’t really seen any reason why any of those guys should be getting snaps over the starters

Only explosive play from any of them was CJ and that was against Bethune which doesn’t count

Just not sure you fix something that’s not broken

Well, we were mixing those guys in when we were clicking on offense. Then, we struggled against GT and we seemed to tighten up our rotation. That's all I'm saying. Also, TVD was clearly struggling. Why not mix in more short passing with guys who you know are fantastic in space like BSmith, Ray Ray, etc.

Also, CJJ got a look and while it did not amount to much, it was one tackle away from being a long gainer. I would have liked to see him get a few more targets.

Didn't Arroyo drop an easy pass saturday?

I don't believe he played.

Well, we were mixing those guys in when we were clicking on offense. Then, we struggled against GT and we seemed to tighten up our rotation. That's all I'm saying. Also, TVD was clearly struggling. Why not mix in more short passing with guys who you know are fantastic in space like BSmith, Ray Ray, etc.

Also, CJJ got a look and while it did not amount to much, it was one tackle away from being a long gainer. I would have liked to see him get a few more targets.

I don't believe he played.
Yeah I get what you’re saying now more clearly

****ed up game all around. I also could be wrong but I don’t think Dawson or Mario ever really thought the game was in doubt. Like as long as we pound the rock and just do what we do with the guys we got it will work itself out

Suddenly after yet another INT it’s like holy ****

I actually went back and deleted that post but you got to it before I did

Because even my response I’m like alright this conversation is getting off track

I agree with what you guys are saying. You’re not knee jerk reacting to one loss like “PLAY THE BACKUPS AND FRESHMANS” 😂

I’m probably the biggest Ray Ray fan on the board and CJ is definitely a man for the future. Same time I kinda give the coaches some leeway here because they’ve been singing those guys praises too. So I feel like they do want them to make an impact it’s just not coming together yet, part of it being the starters are really having good seasons too
Got you, lol.. Yea its a hard balance because like you mentioned the offense has been successful. I think before we can even ask the guys to make plays they have to actually be on the field getting reps and get comfortable. Its a tough ask to throw a guy out there for one rep and say do something or we gotta pull you, thats rough lol..

Other teams do it every game, our snap counts and targets are very top heavy, thats all.. There is pros and cons to both ways but it has worked so dont want to dwell on it..

Advertisement
RE: explosives in the running game, I looked at the Top 12 teams in the country in terms of yards per carry, and compared that to how many explosive runs they had. It's kind of interesting.

Toledo -- 44 runs of 10+ yards (#2 in the country), 13 runs of 20+, 5 runs of 30+ in 5 games
UCF -- 38 runs of 10+ yards (#6 in the country), 14 runs of 20+, 8 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Oregon -- 28 runs of 10+ yards, 7 runs of 20+, 4 runs of 30+ in only 4 games
LA-Lafayette -- 35 runs of 10+ yards (#10 in the country), 10 runs of 20+, 6 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Tennessee -- 31 runs of 10+ yards, 8 runs of 20+, 5 runs of 30+ in only 4 games
New Mexico State -- 26 runs of 10+ yards, 8 runs of 20+, 4 runs of 30+ in 5 games
USC -- 38 runs of 10+ yards, 13 runs of 20+ yards, 5 runs of 30+ yards in 6 games
Kentucky -- 26 runs of 10+ yards, 13 runs of 20+ yards, 8 runs of 30+ yards in 5 games
Kansas -- 41 runs of 10+ yards (#3 in the country), 11 runs of 20+, 3 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Liberty -- 50 runs of 10+ (#1 in the country), 15 runs of 20+, 5 runs of 30+, in 5 games
LSU -- 31 runs of 10+, 10 runs of 20+, 7 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Miami -- 25 runs of 10+ yards (#46 in the country), 6 runs of 20+, 2 runs of 30+ in 4 games

Of the Top 12 teams in the country in YPC, you can argue we are the least explosive. Only 6 runs all season of 20+. That's the fewest of any of these teams. Only 2 runs all season of 30+. Again, fewest of any of these teams.

One thing to note, these numbers are slightly skewed by pass protection, as sacks are counted as rushes in college football, so if you're avoiding sacks, your YPC will be higher, if you're taking a lot of sacks, even if you're running it well on designed runs, your YPC will be lower. So this isn't 100% perfect, but it's a good indicator. I love our backfield, and the run game was obviously very good in the three easier games, not great vs A&M and slightly better than that last week, but we're not breaking off the huge runs that other teams are and that we expect. I think that's why you heard Chris Johnson was going to get some burn last week, although he only got the 1 touch. The coaches obviously see this as well. And frankly it was a lot of the same the last few years also. We know Gattass was radioactive waste, but we still only had THREE runs all season (11 games) of 30+ yards. That was 101st in the country. Should NEVER happen at a school like Miami. In 2021 we only had TWO all season, in 11 games. So we have got to get more explosive in the run game...maybe Fletcher helps out there if he's healthy. I like Parrish and Chaney has been tough, but those guys just don't have the explosiveness that we need.

Last edited:
Got you, lol.. Yea its a hard balance because like you mentioned the offense has been successful. I think before we can even ask the guys to make plays they have to actually be on the field getting reps and get comfortable. Its a tough ask to throw a guy out there for one rep and say do something or we gotta pull you, thats rough lol..

Other teams do it every game, our snap counts and targets are very top heavy, thats all.. There is pros and cons to both ways but it has worked so dont want to dwell on it..
We’ve had a lot of coaches come through here that refuse to adapt as well. So the concerns I do get I think Dawson gets it as well which is good. We will need all the playmakers we can get as we get into this tougher part of the schedule

I think X is on pace to break the single season record for yards which is wild even though we identify more as a running team. So I guess something has to give somewhere but I feel what you guys are saying like if the offense is struggling let’s try and get a spark

Advertisement
Back