Tyler Harrell and Elijah Arroyo...

What a time to be alive…

Substitution patterns

Old TVD problems

And now Cam (the single greatest portal acquisition in the history of the portal) is used too much…

Advertisement
Maybe its just me but does anyone get the feeling that (all jokes aside) that we actually have two different playbooks? One for lower level teams and one for big game teams? Sitting in that stadium watching our plays felt like we were using the same playbook we used against Temple and Miami (Ohio)..And Mario thought he could beat GTech with just being conservative as possible. And unfortunately, it didnt work.

Where the **** is the TAMU game playbook??? Man we havent seen the offense be explosive like that since! TVD threw for 300+yards 5 TDs. I know the D dictates what you do..but wow..we are a team that I feel like has polar opposite playbooks.

Advertisement
We have 2 big time weapons for their respective positions, and we need to use them in this game.

If UNc wants to copy what GT did defensively you can make them pay with these 2 players.

Arroyo working the seam and middle of field, and Harrell stretching the field.

I'm not sure Dawson is the crunchiest pickle in the jar, but he needs to involve Harrell in the deep passing game. Even if Harrell is running a deep post he will attract attention.

We have tried going deep once to Harrell all season, and he was overthrown. Let the Ferrari out of the garage.
One little problem. Arroyo is hurt and has not played all year. Will he be available this week who knows?

After watching TVD force pass after pass to X who is a great player for us no doubt. I think it’s definitely a TVD issue with progressing reads than probably an offensive scheme issue…

Dude is hyper locked on his first read and barely moves to his second and third.

This can work good or bad for us down the stretch.. teams know how much TVD locks in on X… meaning their going to leave someone like Harrell/arroyo/rileyW/etc on islands.. gotta exploit those matchups.

I’m not a giant Gaby and David Lake fan, but their most recent pod did a really good job dissecting how bad Dawson and TVD were.

Not crapping on them, just detailing why so many plays were average to bad.

Also, the insane disparity of targets to X vs everyone else

It's hard to get TEs involved when the top two right now are 1) McCormick - a blocking TE and 2) Riley Williams - a true freshman plus our QB wants to throw to Restrepo each play.

I think a healthy Arroyo or any receiving TE and a different QB would get more targets to that position.

Advertisement
TVD is latched onto X for a couple reasons..

1) Obviously there is chemistry. Roommates, they work at it together, study together, best friends, etc.
2) X is almost always open. Like Brady and Welker/Edelman.
3) The offense is designed around it. Watch Dawson with Tune and Dell. It was the exact same thing with more explosiveness from Tank Dell.

When GT is sitting in a cover 2 and you coach the QB to take what they're giving him.. that is what you get. If you want him to take shots, against what he's seeing, dial them up.

Dating back to last year, we struggle against teams that do this to us. Sit in a zone and force us to throw short and underneath and execute long elaborate drives. We always stall, shoot ourselves with penalties, or they bait TVD into a pick. That is the formula and we'll see it again. In 2021 with Lashlee, he saw the same looks but just dialed up the deep shots and the trick plays and baited them into letting a RB or TE leak out for a big play. Dawson isn't doing much of that.

We have 2 big time weapons for their respective positions, and we need to use them in this game.

If UNc wants to copy what GT did defensively you can make them pay with these 2 players.

Arroyo working the seam and middle of field, and Harrell stretching the field.

I'm not sure Dawson is the crunchiest pickle in the jar, but he needs to involve Harrell in the deep passing game. Even if Harrell is running a deep post he will attract attention.

We have tried going deep once to Harrell all season, and he was overthrown. Let the Ferrari out of the garage.
On Harrell, I just don’t think him and Ladson are as good as coaches hoped unfortunately.

Maybe its just me but does anyone get the feeling that (all jokes aside) that we actually have two different playbooks? One for lower level teams and one for big game teams? Sitting in that stadium watching our plays felt like we were using the same playbook we used against Temple and Miami (Ohio)..And Mario thought he could beat GTech with just being conservative as possible. And unfortunately, it didnt work.

Where the **** is the TAMU game playbook??? Man we havent seen the offense be explosive like that since! TVD threw for 300+yards 5 TDs. I know the D dictates what you do..but wow..we are a team that I feel like has polar opposite playbooks.
I felt like that personally also and david lake/gaby on inside the U podcast said the samething (I think their latest pod on game was good breakdown), Roman on obb podcast also. It was kinda obvious thats what they were doing, Mario during interview mentioned we would be "methodical" and kinda played into GT hands uof just taking everything underneath and thinking we can dink n dunk down field, they never felt they needed to do much because it was GT.

We let them dictate what we could do instead of being aggressive and going vertical like they preached. We didnt take a shot at all first half. The deep pass to restrepo and then Young were plays we should have hit them with early and often but we played in a 8 yard box it seemed, hoping we bust a big run but it never happened, we dont really have many explosive plays as has been shown. Think they got caught with trying to be really simple, then teh turnovers happened and then they just choked at end.

Harrell seems to be a one trick pony
Deep route or comeback and if you've watched his come back routes, he just turn and stands and doesn't actually come back to the QB, I have a feeling his route running is poor and just relies on blowing last people, doesn't know how to stem, stack, read coverages etc.

Advertisement
I’d rather see Ray Ray and Brashard used like that. Maybe even Chris Johnson. Harell isn’t a wiggle or rac guy and he has suspect hands. He’s pretty much a go route guy and stretch the D. I don’t like him in the quick game
I agree on Ray Ray and B smith being more suited for quick hits off motion.

I’m talking about having Harrell lined up in the backfield next to Chaney…probably more so as an H back. Motion Harrell, around the Outside receiver who has a tight split and send Harrell deep on a 9 or on a dagger.

The 49ers and dolphins have been doing it this year with deebo and tyreek to get them clean releases and head starts on deep routes. Then you can come back to it and hit the rub man.

If you have Instagram coach Dan Casey posted what I’m talking about on September 18th

Harrell has less than 700 yards in four seasons. I am sure Al Davis takes him in the first round but running fast in a straight line is not enough.
i never saw him as this game changer transfer. he had health issues and just never made an impact on three teams so far. anything you get from him is a positive imo. same as ladson

I agree on Ray Ray and B smith being more suited for quick hits off motion.

I’m talking about having Harrell lined up in the backfield next to Chaney…probably more so as an H back. Motion Harrell, around the Outside receiver who has a tight split and send Harrell deep on a 9 or on a dagger.

The 49ers and dolphins have been doing it this year with deebo and tyreek to get them clean releases and head starts on deep routes. Then you can come back to it and hit the rub man.

If you have Instagram coach Dan Casey posted what I’m talking about on September 18th
In the ole miss game, announcer was talking about how Kiffin told him he was already incorporating some of the things the dolphins are doing.. lol

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement

we fell down early by double digits against ATM and maybe it forced us to be more pass heavy? also, the run game wasnt doing much against ATM either.

In the ole miss game, announcer was talking about how Kiffin told him he was already incorporating some of the things the dolphins are doing.. lol

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN
I hope Dawson does that too. Obviously, Motion can be complicated for guys to execute…but what the 49ers, Dolphins, and to a certain extent the lions are doing on offense is art. You don’t usually see that type of innovation in real time at the NFL level.

I don't think Arroyo will play at all this season
Idk if it's been said on here but it's a tweaked hamstring coming off of knee rehab. You never know with those. Can be golden on Friday and then tweak it again warming up Saturday.

I can relate.. as someone that had to retire from slow pitch softball due to continuous hamstring pulls and now it just won't recover. I tweaked it sitting at my desk the other day... got a cramp and leaned down to grab it and tweaked it. Awful.

He's looked fine for 2-3 weeks on the practice field and I haven't heard of any real set backs. He should be close but it's a confidence thing at this point - to go along with recovering from a bad knee injury.

Advertisement
Back