Tyler Harrell and Elijah Arroyo...

Perhaps we should consider more 4WR looks with Harrell in the slot. Or, bump him outside and have George and Restrepo as opposite slots. Sure, we take Cam’s (or Williams’) motion and blocking off the table, but IMO, we make matters far more uncomfortable for defenses with this lineup or ones like it. I’m still happy to matchup our 5 OL against extremely light boxes. Or, if the defense prefers, Young/George/Restrepo/Harrell or Young/Restrepo/Smith/George against 5 DBs (if the defense chooses to bring another defender into the box), help us dictate to the defense.
I would really love for us to do what the 49ers do and use motion to our advantage to get guys who can run a clean release/ head start on the defender.

Maybe motion Harrell out of the backfield and hit him

Advertisement
I agree with incorporating more speed/explosiveness into the offense as well. If GT was able to limit big plays what do yall think Clemson and FSU, who both have superior athletes to GT, are going to do?

The offense just seems slow even when it's working. I don't know how to explain it.

RE: explosives in the running game, I looked at the Top 12 teams in the country in terms of yards per carry, and compared that to how many explosive runs they had. It's kind of interesting.

Toledo -- 44 runs of 10+ yards (#2 in the country), 13 runs of 20+, 5 runs of 30+ in 5 games
UCF -- 38 runs of 10+ yards (#6 in the country), 14 runs of 20+, 8 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Oregon -- 28 runs of 10+ yards, 7 runs of 20+, 4 runs of 30+ in only 4 games
LA-Lafayette -- 35 runs of 10+ yards (#10 in the country), 10 runs of 20+, 6 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Tennessee -- 31 runs of 10+ yards, 8 runs of 20+, 5 runs of 30+ in only 4 games
New Mexico State -- 26 runs of 10+ yards, 8 runs of 20+, 4 runs of 30+ in 5 games
USC -- 38 runs of 10+ yards, 13 runs of 20+ yards, 5 runs of 30+ yards in 6 games
Kentucky -- 26 runs of 10+ yards, 13 runs of 20+ yards, 8 runs of 30+ yards in 5 games
Kansas -- 41 runs of 10+ yards (#3 in the country), 11 runs of 20+, 3 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Liberty -- 50 runs of 10+ (#1 in the country), 15 runs of 20+, 5 runs of 30+, in 5 games
LSU -- 31 runs of 10+, 10 runs of 20+, 7 runs of 30+ in 5 games
Miami -- 25 runs of 10+ yards (#46 in the country), 6 runs of 20+, 2 runs of 30+ in 4 games

Of the Top 12 teams in the country in YPC, you can argue we are the least explosive. Only 6 runs all season of 20+. That's the fewest of any of these teams. Only 2 runs all season of 30+. Again, fewest of any of these teams.

One thing to note, these numbers are slightly skewed by pass protection, as sacks are counted as rushes in college football, so if you're avoiding sacks, your YPC will be higher, if you're taking a lot of sacks, even if you're running it well on designed runs, your YPC will be lower. So this isn't 100% perfect, but it's a good indicator. I love our backfield, and the run game was obviously very good in the three easier games, not great vs A&M and slightly better than that last week, but we're not breaking off the huge runs that other teams are and that we expect. I think that's why you heard Chris Johnson was going to get some burn last week, although he only got the 1 touch. The coaches obviously see this as well. And frankly it was a lot of the same last year as well. We know Gattass was radioactive waste, but we still only had THREE runs all season (11 games) of 30+ yards. That was 101st in the country. Should NEVER happen at a school like Miami. In 2021 we only had TWO all season, in 11 games. So we have got to get more explosive in the run game...maybe Fletcher helps out there if he's healthy. I like Parrish and Chaney has been tough, but those guys just don't have the explosiveness that we need.
I havent rewatched the game and probably wont, lol til maybe summer at this point but one thing I remember thinking during game is the wr need to do a better job blocking.. I think that hurts our ability to break long runs also.. I know many are bullish on our run game but I want to see those guys do work against ACC talent. A&M kinda kept run game in check, and with GT we couldnt really break free even when they were 2 safety deep with their 125 rank run D. I have seen Berrios and Coley burying people, so idc how small or skinny restrepo/george are, they need to do more..

I havent rewatched the game and probably wont, lol til maybe summer at this point but one thing I remember thinking during game is the wr need to do a better job blocking.. I think that hurts our ability to break long runs also.. I know many are bullish on our run game but I want to see those guys do work against ACC talent. A&M kinda kept run game in check, and with GT we couldnt really break free even when they were 2 safety deep with their 125 rank run D. I have seen Berrios and Coley burying people, so idc how small or skinny restrepo/george are, they need to do more..

This is definitely a huge part of breaking long runs as well. I agree though, I don’t fret too much about not running incredibly efficiently against A&M, their front is awesome and the pass game/pass blocking was insanely good. But last week was very disappointing with how bad they have been against the run and I really thought if anything they were playing more coverage in the middle of the field than selling out to stop the run. And we still didn’t run it very well. That really surprised me.

Advertisement
It would be disingenuous to act like he’s been force feeding him the whole season because that ain’t the case.

Well, he just admitted in his press conference that X is the one he looks for but would try to spread the ball around going forward

After watching TVD force pass after pass to X who is a great player for us no doubt. I think it’s definitely a TVD issue with progressing reads than probably an offensive scheme issue…

Dude is hyper locked on his first read and barely moves to his second and third.

This can work good or bad for us down the stretch.. teams know how much TVD locks in on X… meaning their going to leave someone like Harrell/arroyo/rileyW/etc on islands.. gotta exploit those matchups.

Advertisement
After watching TVD force pass after pass to X who is a great player for us no doubt. I think it’s definitely a TVD issue with progressing reads than probably an offensive scheme issue…

Dude is hyper locked on his first read and barely moves to his second and third.

This can work good or bad for us down the stretch.. teams know how much TVD locks in on X… meaning their going to leave someone like Harrell/arroyo/rileyW/etc on islands.. gotta exploit those matchups.
Problem is, Young was on an island often and got thrown to once after that screen we threw to him early (which every team is aware of since he took that same play 50 yards before). That one other throw to young went 55 plus yards to the two. Criminally underused 🤦🏾‍♂️

I would really love for us to do what the 49ers do and use motion to our advantage to get guys who can run a clean release/ head start on the defender.

the fins and niners have the most innovative offenses in football in how they use motion to destroy teams. I dont think our guys can learn a playbook like that given time constraints and I also dont think our OC is capable of putting together an offense that 2-3 people on earth have done so far. ive been happy with Dawson but isnt a Mcvay McDaniel shanahan type offensive mind.

I’d rather see Ray Ray and Brashard used like that. Maybe even Chris Johnson. Harell isn’t a wiggle or rac guy and he has suspect hands. He’s pretty much a go route guy and stretch the D. I don’t like him in the quick game

the fins and niners have the most innovative offenses in football in how they use motion to destroy teams. I dont think our guys can learn a playbook like that given time constraints and I also dont think our OC is capable of putting together an offense that 2-3 people on earth have done so far. ive been happy with Dawson but isnt a Mcvay McDaniel shanahan type offensive mind.
The NFL is running college offenses. Space and motion cane from the college game. Most of the offenses are dumbed down like college ( not SF) . Using motion doesn’t mean complicated. It’s actually the opposite. You’re putting pressure on the D by using one simple wrinkle. Dan Orvlosky said it best “ snapping the ball standing still with no movement in todays game is playing into the defenses hands“.

Advertisement
Reviewing Romans work, it's obvious teams aren't respecting Cam at TE. Got to get him off the field. It's limits spacing.

Harrell and or Smith creates spacing.

Arroyo is a threat as an athletic TE working the seam.

Help your QB out.

Reviewing Romans work, it's obvious teams aren't respecting Cam at TE. Got to get him off the field. It's limits spacing.

Harrell and or Smith creates spacing.

Arroyo is a threat as an athletic TE working the seam.

Help your QB out.
Cam is playing too much. He can and should be used in situational spots but you can’t have him out there like this. Either Riley more or just take the te off the field and go more 10 personnel.

The NFL is running college offenses. Space and motion cane from the college game. Most of the offenses are dumbed down like college ( not SF) . Using motion doesn’t mean complicated. It’s actually the opposite. You’re putting pressure on the D by using one simple wrinkle. Dan Orvlosky said it best “ snapping the ball standing still with no movement in todays game is playing into the defenses hands“.
im saying in how the fins and niners use it. yes NFL uses college offenses now, but I think those 2 teams are far and away ahead of the curve in that aspect. those are the two best shows on grass right now. its unrealistic to think that it is something thats easily replicated (those 2 specific offenses) by anyone within one offseason on limited time or even in season.

Advertisement
I’d rather see Ray Ray and Brashard used like that. Maybe even Chris Johnson. Harell isn’t a wiggle or rac guy and he has suspect hands. He’s pretty much a go route guy and stretch the D. I don’t like him in the quick game
I wanna see more of CJ.

Yeah. Not as much between the tackles but I’d like to see some gimmick stuff . Jet sweep , reverses , tosses, or just used in motion as a decoy.
ive been saying since we saw him I think against miami oh that we need to find a way to get that kind of speed on the field. its too explosive to not find a way for him out there

Advertisement
Back