Ty Stevenson Blog excerpt:

Advertisement
I like TS’ approach. Essentially, if we play well, we have a chance. No false bravado, and no defeatist attitude, either. We are playing this game with house money if we are honest with ourselves. A win would be monumental, but the real season starts with the ACC schedule. Get this offense humming by the Virginia game, with the defense merely needing to be “good” and we are cooking with gas.

Love the fact that he also mentioned that we are a well conditioned team. Goes to show that our conditioning stands out compared to UGA.. That will be HUGE is many games this year. What did Jimmy Johnson say, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all". We will beat some teams on our schedule strictly based on the fact that when the 4th quarter comes we will still have a full tank of gas while most teams will be on E.
No. 6 will always have a full tank of gas.

The real difference is the head coaches. This game will determine if Manny is a quality head coach. Quality head coaches would keep it close since Bama lost all of their impact players on offense to the draft and have a new Offensive coordinator. It should be a low scoring game with both teams struggling against the defense. If Miami looks like we don’t belong on the same field then it’s time to start fantasizing over who the next HC is going to be.

Advertisement
Just to add a few more nuggets from his blog:

-Rique said the Miami coaches knew ahead of his public commitment at the All Star Game that he was going to UGA. He said he was really torn and waited until the last minute he could to sign during the ESD.

- TS talked about how his relationship with Kirby (and he calls him out by name) "soured" over their disagreements on where he would play... He mentions that Smart wanted him to play "other positions". He said he talked to Kirby about playing CB but that he only actually got to play that spot in 4 games as a freshman. After that, he never got to play CB again.

He said that he had so many schools reach out to him the first day he was in the portal it drained his phone of battery. He goes on to say that Manny was one of the first to reach him . "He’s doing a normal recruitment speech, the normal stuff, and I cut him off - `Coach, I’m coming. Nothing else needs to be said. I’m coming to work, coming to give my all, be the best player I can be.’"

There's a lot more personal info in the blog; it was definitely written from the heart.

The title of it is: My Journey Brought Me Home and I'm the Happiest I've Ever Been
Love it

-Rique said the Miami coaches knew ahead of his public commitment at the All Star Game that he was going to UGA. He said he was really torn and waited until the last minute he could to sign during the ESD.

- TS talked about how his relationship with Kirby (and he calls him out by name) "soured" over their disagreements on where he would play... He mentions that Smart wanted him to play "other positions". He said he talked to Kirby about playing CB but that he only actually got to play that spot in 4 games as a freshman. After that, he never got to play CB again.

He said that he had so many schools reach out to him the first day he was in the portal it drained his phone of battery. He goes on to say that Manny was one of the first to reach him . "He’s doing a normal recruitment speech, the normal stuff, and I cut him off - `Coach, I’m coming. Nothing else needs to be said. I’m coming to work, coming to give my all, be the best player I can be.’"

There's a lot more personal info in the blog; it was definitely written from the heart.

The title of it is: My Journey Brought Me Home and I'm the Happiest I've Ever Been
Before he hit the portal i said it was “all done, he was coming home “ , that’s before Miami even knew lol.

Advertisement
Thanks for sharing.

it’s been said ad nauseam but Miami has underperformed because of coaching not because of talent. I use the phrase coaching broadly.

when we start hanging with, or overachieving and maybe beating, the likes of Bama Georgia and Clemson, then we know our coaching has matched talent.

jury is still out tho… I can confidently say this is the best coaching staff Miami has fielded in 10+ years. But that doesn’t mean much in relation to top 15 CFB programs

It's interesting to get an actual player's opinion on where we stand as a program compared to one of the biggest names out there. I like how he's honest and straight forward about what happened at UGA.

Thanks for sharing.

it’s been said ad nauseam but Miami has underperformed because of coaching not because of talent. I use the phrase coaching broadly.

when we start hanging with, or overachieving and maybe beating, the likes of Bama Georgia and Clemson, then we know our coaching has matched talent.

jury is still out tho… I can confidently say this is the best coaching staff Miami has fielded in 10+ years. But that doesn’t mean much in relation to top 15 CFB programs
It has been a hard fought last 15 years to get that consensus opinion on coaching (being accountable) from our fan base. I was kicked off of a couple Canes blogs in the past for frontlining the coaching vs players wars 😆. And don't assume that there aren't Canes fans still out there that think we still don't have the talent to win the Coastal every year.

Advertisement
He didn’t have to say anything at all pin head.
spongebob squarepants patrick GIF by hoppip

King going to put up record numbers in year 2 of the offense and get himself drafted as a QB early.

If the NFL already has Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray. We can add Deriq King

I honestly think he can lead a team if you cater the offense to him.

He played well in the run and shoot and is learning air raid and read option. Give him the right spread oc and don’t put excess weight on him, I think he can find some success in the league.

He can’t play in a more traditional offense. It won’t work. The right coaches and situations are vital.

I enjoyed reading the excerpt. Thanks for posting it. I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that Tyrique is saying that the team is putting in maximum effort in its preparation for the season and Bama. Miami has reportedly had a country club like atmosphere since the decline began in 2003. I'm old enough to remember the stories of the players pushing cars through the parking lot as part of their training routine when they were ascending to dominance in 1999-2002 (I always thought that was the basis for Ed GOAT Reed saying that teams don't like UM because they know how much hard work UM puts in). If Tyrique sees more effort than he saw at UGA, then I believe the culture is changing and we might see something special this year and beyond.

Advertisement

it is not a paid subscription article.

here is the link.

As big as he is I can see why Kirby was hesistant to put him at CB and saw him as a Striker/Star/Safety type but glad that Kirby stuck to his guns and let TS fall into our lap! Looking forward to a 1st team All ACC type season from him. Hes got a HUGE chip on his shoulder to prove that Kirby was dead wrong.

It's a tough balance. Didn't we lose a legacy a couple years back because we wanted him at LB and he wanted to play RB?

Coaches need to be open and honest about their own assessment, but also listen to the recruits and let them pursue their dreams. It is their life. So if Allen Bailey wants to be a LB, you let him take his shot. After he gets beat every single time by Darnell Jenkins on a crossing route or Epps and Gordon on a TE slant, he knows it's time to move to the line.

Of course, it can backfire. It's probably why Ray Ray Armstrong never moved to LB when that was his natural position. He was good enough to start at Safety, so who were we to tell him what position to play?

Advertisement
Back