Two Big Assumptions Being Made About the FSU Coaching Search

Extremely fortunate. Other than Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops, no one immediately concerns me. Norvell is a solid choice, really has built up Memphis, but he 1) losses to anyone with a pulse and 2) never puts together a good defense. Venables isn't going anywhere, and Mark Stoops would be a solid pick but not a home run. Bob Stoops and Venables would also want major money.

PJ Fleck and Campbell would be interesting candidates, as well. Either way, they're going to need to get a guy who's willing to embark on a 3-4 year total rebuild in half the time.
I hope they hire row the boat. I dont think he is a big time coach.

Advertisement
Dark money, hidden emails, and suddenly Urban is announced as the new FSU coach. Can USC's. rich alums match the good ole' boys from Tallahassee?

Advertisement
FSU is going to need luck in hiring a really good coach. Other than Meyer, are there any elite coaches available? No. Coaches you’d put in the Top 10 in CFB? Probably not. They already make $4-6M and enjoying success at their current gig. Why leave for FSU? Like Miami, the Noles need to hire someone consistently having more success than you’d expect at a lower P5 or G5 program and hope access to better talent is a winning formula.

Advertisement
I don't think anyone expected Willie Taggart to succeed at FSU, but to get fired today was a shock. FSU, despite being in dire financial straits with their Athletic Department put up the $18 Million to buy out Taggart. Add the money it took to bring Taggart from Oregon and you're talking about a $30 Million dollar mistake easily. Taggart will probably go down as one of the top five worst coaching hires in college football history.

Now that FSU is looking to move on to its next HC, we've seen a few names and narratives emerge in the short hours after Taggart's dismissal. From Urban Meyer to Bob Stoops, to Mike Norvell, a lot of names are flying around. There are two big assumptions though going into their coaching search.

1. FSU learned it's lesson with Taggart and won't make a bad hire. I've seen quite a few of these takes going around when anyone gets fired, and more likely than not it isn't the case. Florida didn't learn it's lesson after Muschamp and hired Corch Jim McElwain. Miami didn't learn it's lesson with Randy and hired the biggest corch ever in Golden. Michigan, Tennessee, USC, UCLA, etc. have all followed up bad hires with equally bad or even worse hires.

The same people that hired Taggart a year and a half ago will be hiring his successor. The chances they hire another corch are better than them hitting a home run hire. Also, no matter who they hire, they'll have to contend with a good/competent HC at UF and hopefully a coach that finds his rhythm in Diaz.

2. FSU is a Top 10 Job. This is one that I don't get. This CBS article describes this position better than I ever could. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...now-florida-state-has-no-obvious-replacement/

They're going to need a proven program builder to pull them back from the edge of the cliff and clear out the toxicity in their program.

You lost me right here: FSU learned it's lesson with Taggart and won't make a bad hire

Really? Really? Did they CHOOSE to make a bad hire with Taggart? Is there some GUARANTEED way not to make a bad hire? F$U may very well make a bad hire again because they can't pay $10 million per year to an (almost) surefire coach such as Urban Meyer. As a result, there will be SOME risk with anyone they hire. Current head coach? May not be a fit for F$U culture, style, etc. Current coordinator on the rise? May not be able to handle the promotion to HC.

I think they are going to try to hire the flavor-of-the-month hot head coach from a lesser program. Which is EXACTLY what got them Taggart.

Luckily with FSU, since they are a state school, they need to publish financial records. Not to mention it's well known their athletic department is in terrible financial shape. This Taggart mistake is going to cost FSU, overall, close to $30 Million when accounting for how much it took to get Taggart there, to begin with.

We can't ever account for the money their boosters are willing to put up, but they're not in the best shape to make a big run at a proven HC, unless their boosters are willing to dish out tens of millions again.

The recent reorg of the F$U booster club was a way to do an end-run around the "need to publish financial records".

Advertisement
FSU’s head coach literally just left FSU go go to Texas A&M.

And if you think Penn State and Michigan aren’t Top 10 jobs then I got nothing nor for you.
Because FSU is like us in that they won't want to accept that the business of college football requires you to spend money. You can't get kids just by the logo on the side of the helmet. At aTm, Jimbo only has to think it and the checkbooks come out.

Advertisement
Jimbo left because of a lot more than football, and he will never have the success he had at FSU

Harbaugh is getting worse results at Michigan than he did at Stanford. Guess Stanford is top 10 too.

I can give you PSU in top 10, but they’re even with or below FSU.

Do you forget before Willie when FSU reeled in top 5-10 classes every year and were one of the few teams that could go head to head with Bama on the trail?

FSU has better recruiting grounds, stronger tradition, and the facilities to match pretty much all those schools.

Michigan is #3 in overall football revenue, has a 100K capacity stadium sold out every single week, has perhaps the strongest booster network in college football and has more wins than any team in college football history.

They pay Harabaugh $7-8 million a year and don't even blink.

Last year FSU had to borrow from it's booster club just to break even financially.

JImbo having big success for two or three year doesn't make FSU a better job. Michigan has actually out recruited FSU over Harbaugh's tenure there. It means Harbaugh is underachieving.

Michigan is #3 in overall football revenue, has a 100K capacity stadium sold out every single week, has perhaps the strongest booster network in college football and has more wins than any team in college football history.

They pay Harabaugh $7-8 million a year and don't even blink.

Last year FSU had to borrow from it's booster club just to break even financially.

JImbo having big success for two or three year doesn't make FSU a better job. Michigan has actually out recruited FSU over Harbaugh's tenure there. It means Harbaugh is underachieving.
They haven’t won their conference since 2004.

In today’s college football, Michigan is not a threat for the national championship

We can just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back