Two Big Assumptions Being Made About the FSU Coaching Search

Advertisement
Feldman reporting this morning that a name gaining traction is Mike Norvell.

He was on my short list for this job last December, and is an up and coming star. I would MUCH rather FSU get Stoops than Norvell. Stoops is a burned out 60 year old. Norvell is a young, hungry, cutting-edge coach. I hope somehow Memphis convinces him to stay if that's indeed who FSU really targets. He'd be excellent there.

Just like Fuente? Conference USA success doesn’t exactly translate to success in the power 5. He will substitute Navy and Houston with Clemson, Florida, and Miami. Norvell might do well, might not.

People like to bring up Willie’s record with all that talent and conveniently forget to mention that Jimbo went 7-6 and almost missed a bowl with even more talent.

Either Jimbo forgot how to coach or the team wasn’t as talented as everyone thinks.
The culture went to **** similar to Miami in the mid 2000s. They all thought they’d run over people, and didn’t have the drive.

Their roster still had plenty of NFL talent at that time.

Any word of their going after Manny?

I heard banners are flying so maybe he'd consider.

Advertisement
Norvell doesn't impress me. He's 38, never coached at a big time school, never won his conference, habitually loses to UCF and is 0-3 in bowl games.

He also inherited a ton of talent at Memphis and has arguably been worse than Fuente - they went 8-6 last year with 2 NFL RB's. Norvell's resume is worse than Taggart's when FSU hired Taggart. I hope FSU hires Norvell.

Norvell doesn't impress me. He's 38, never coached at a big time school, never won his conference, habitually loses to UCF and is 0-3 in bowl games.

He also inherited a ton of talent at Memphis and has arguably been worse than Fuente - they went 8-6 last year with 2 NFL RB's. Norvell's resume is worse than Taggart's when FSU hired Taggart. I hope FSU hires Norvell.
Yep. Admittedly did not know anything about him until his name popped up around here, but Memphis has dropped in performance compared to the level Fuente left the program at.

If he's able to finish this season strong and win the bowl game though, that would be an encouraging sign. But to throw massive amounts of money at him before that would be foolish.

Advertisement
Back