Two Big Assumptions Being Made About the FSU Coaching Search

FSU’s head coach literally just left FSU go go to Texas A&M.

And if you think Penn State and Michigan aren’t Top 10 jobs then I got nothing nor for you.
FSU is definitely a Top 20 job, but nowhere near Top 10. Much like us, they inflate how good an opportunity their job is. Not to mention whoever inherits this mess will have a complete 3-4 year rebuild on their hands with the expectation they'll turn it around in half the time. FSU's culture is toxic, and they've been toxic for years. Won't be easy for any coach, let alone one that isn't very good or borderline elite, to turn that around.

Advertisement
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Breaking: Florida State in talks with Georgia OC James Coley to become next head coach. More coming</p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@Bret__McMurphy) <a href="">November 3, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Image result for hahaha gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
What if Clemson somehow (and it's obviously a BIG somehow) ****s the bed against Wake. Then Wake wins the ACC against a mediocre Corstal opponent. You guys think they interview Dave Clawson in division if all their "dream" candidates aren't interested or attainable?

Look, they are going to put all these big names out as “ people interested” as a PR move to get people interested. Won’t work and they will get a second hand coach with catch phrases and back packs again

And if you think Penn State and Michigan aren’t Top 10 jobs then I got nothing nor for you.
Jimbo left because of a lot more than football, and he will never have the success he had at FSU

Harbaugh is getting worse results at Michigan than he did at Stanford. Guess Stanford is top 10 too.

I can give you PSU in top 10, but they’re even with or below FSU.

Do you forget before Willie when FSU reeled in top 5-10 classes every year and were one of the few teams that could go head to head with Bama on the trail?

FSU has better recruiting grounds, stronger tradition, and the facilities to match pretty much all those schools.

FSU can’t even get $20mil for football facilities. That was with a new coach and an old won that one a natty a few years back. No top coach will want to deal with that. A big reason why Kelly and Frost turned down UF is all the same. If anyone believes money is no issue at FSU with an athletic department losing money and ticket sales lower than 1987... you’re naive. It’s a major problem. They decided it was better to fire Taggart now regardless of the financial ramifications.

The big buildings just built on campus came from the Moran’s $100mil donation. That has nada to do with football.

Advertisement
You guys were debating Penn State earlier. I'll tell you this- I'd LOVE if they lured Franklin away to Tally. That overrated buzzword spewin' douche can be had for the right price. USC (smartly) just didn't pull the trigger.

You mean the same coach that just won a NC 4 years prior.

Penn St. maybe, but not Michigan. Michigan may pay well, but most of the talent on that team is imported...**** even Harbaugh was *****in' & gripin' about the cheating in the SEC.

Advertisement
I don't think anyone expected Willie Taggart to succeed at FSU, but to get fired today was a shock. FSU, despite being in dire financial straits with their Athletic Department put up the $18 Million to buy out Taggart. Add the money it took to bring Taggart from Oregon and you're talking about a $30 Million dollar mistake easily. Taggart will probably go down as one of the top five worst coaching hires in college football history.

Now that FSU is looking to move on to its next HC, we've seen a few names and narratives emerge in the short hours after Taggart's dismissal. From Urban Meyer to Bob Stoops, to Mike Norvell, a lot of names are flying around. There are two big assumptions though going into their coaching search.

1. FSU learned it's lesson with Taggart and won't make a bad hire. I've seen quite a few of these takes going around when anyone gets fired, and more likely than not it isn't the case. Florida didn't learn it's lesson after Muschamp and hired Corch Jim McElwain. Miami didn't learn it's lesson with Randy and hired the biggest corch ever in Golden. Michigan, Tennessee, USC, UCLA, etc. have all followed up bad hires with equally bad or even worse hires.

The same people that hired Taggart a year and a half ago will be hiring his successor. The chances they hire another corch are better than them hitting a home run hire. Also, no matter who they hire, they'll have to contend with a good/competent HC at UF and hopefully a coach that finds his rhythm in Diaz.

2. FSU is a Top 10 Job. This is one that I don't get. This CBS article describes this position better than I ever could. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...now-florida-state-has-no-obvious-replacement/

They're going to need a proven program builder to pull them back from the edge of the cliff and clear out the toxicity in their program.
A 4BD/3BA for $200,000.00 looks like a mansion when sitting next to one of Tallahassee's many trailer parks. A coaching dream; mansion among the single-wides and no state income tax.

If anyone believes money is no issue at FSU with an athletic department losing money and ticket sales lower than 1987... you’re naive. It’s a major problem.

Most athletic departments lose money because they have to prop up sports that don't bring in $h!t to the University. Non-revenue sports spend twice as much as they bring in...budget deficits aren't just a problem at FSU.

This should not surprise anyone. No decent program is going to wait around for 4 or 5 losing seasons anymore. Especially when the performance is as poor as Tag.

They are no ahead of the game and will have a chance to really get the coach they really want.

Advertisement
Back