Two Big Assumptions Being Made About the FSU Coaching Search

that was the worst coached team ive EVER seen. that man was a complete incompetent, had no business getting hired at Oregon and even less at FSU after he proved he is a moron at Oregon.

I just hope that beating them doesnt in the end result in them getting a great coach.

Advertisement
We can't ever account for the money their boosters are willing to put up, but they're not in the best shape to make a big run at a proven HC, unless their boosters are willing to dish out tens of millions again.

We tried that with Richt. That didn't work out so well. I'm just saying, getting the right coach is more art than science. They're going to need a lot of luck with this one.

We tried that with Richt. That didn't work out so well. I'm just saying, getting the right coach is more art than science. They're going to need a lot of luck with this one.
You hit the nail on the head, completely agree with you. They're going to need some major luck to get the results they want. It's well known there are more cancers than leaders in their locker room. They're a full rebuild and currently have a toxic culture.

I don't see guys like Urban, Bob Stoops, or Les Miles giving them the time of day. They're towards the end of their careers if they haven't ended it already. Add to the fact that USC is definitely going to be an open job, and that Harbaugh could bolt to the NFL, and you've got some open jobs that are better than FSU.

Advertisement
They said the same thing about Fuente.
Completely agree, and if you watch Norvell's teams they lose to anyone with a pulse. Also, he's incapable of winning a bowl game.

Good coach, yes. Good recruiter, yes. All of that though at an AAC/C-USA level. It's a different ball game at FSU.

I don't think anyone expected Willie Taggart to succeed at FSU, but to get fired today was a shock. FSU, despite being in dire financial straits with their Athletic Department put up the $18 Million to buy out Taggart. Add the money it took to bring Taggart from Oregon and you're talking about a $30 Million dollar mistake easily. Taggart will probably go down as one of the top five worst coaching hires in college football history.

Now that FSU is looking to move on to its next HC, we've seen a few names and narratives emerge in the short hours after Taggart's dismissal. From Urban Meyer to Bob Stoops, to Mike Norvell, a lot of names are flying around. There are two big assumptions though going into their coaching search.

1. FSU learned it's lesson with Taggart and won't make a bad hire. I've seen quite a few of these takes going around when anyone gets fired, and more likely than not it isn't the case. Florida didn't learn it's lesson after Muschamp and hired Corch Jim McElwain. Miami didn't learn it's lesson with Randy and hired the biggest corch ever in Golden. Michigan, Tennessee, USC, UCLA, etc. have all followed up bad hires with equally bad or even worse hires.

The same people that hired Taggart a year and a half ago will be hiring his successor. The chances they hire another corch are better than them hitting a home run hire. Also, no matter who they hire, they'll have to contend with a good/competent HC at UF and hopefully a coach that finds his rhythm in Diaz.

2. FSU is a Top 10 Job. This is one that I don't get. This CBS article describes this position better than I ever could. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...now-florida-state-has-no-obvious-replacement/

They're going to need a proven program builder to pull them back from the edge of the cliff and clear out the toxicity in their program.
FsU is far from financial dire straights and is easily a top 10 job. They are going all in and will pay the next coach. 18 mill doesn't matter. It hurts your ego but doesn't impact them one bit. Not sure if you've been to Tally over the past 5 years but the money they are putting in that campus is insane.

Advertisement
FsU is far from financial dire straights and is easily a top 10 job. They are going all in and will pay the next coach. 18 mill doesn't matter. It hurts your ego but doesn't impact them one bit. Not sure if you've been to Tally over the past 5 years but the money they are putting in that campus is insane.
They're putting money into their school/facilities, but it's well known that their athletic department has been losing money for years. Financially mismanaged and lacking in leadership. They ran a $3 Million budget deficit for their athletic department in 2018, and needed a $6 Million bailout from their boosters to balance that budget this year.

They have big money boosters but aren't in a great financial position.

Advertisement
McDonald's CEO just got fired. I'll bet he knows more about football than Willie. With the parachute he's going to get, he'll work for free.

They're putting money into their school/facilities, but it's well known that their athletic department has been losing money for years. Financially mismanaged and lacking in leadership. They ran a $3 Million budget deficit for their athletic department in 2018, and needed a $6 Million bailout from their boosters to balance that budget this year.

They have big money boosters but aren't in a great financial position.
Ok. Hope you are right. Sounds like you're more in the know.

Advertisement
Luckily with FSU, since they are a state school, they need to publish financial records. Not to mention it's well known their athletic department is in terrible financial shape. This Taggart mistake is going to cost FSU, overall, close to $30 Million when accounting for how much it took to get Taggart there, to begin with.

We can't ever account for the money their boosters are willing to put up, but they're not in the best shape to make a big run at a proven HC, unless their boosters are willing to dish out tens of millions again.

They can always rely on some lobbyists roll some money in as a favor to some of their Tally politician boosters... it is a corrupt, lawyer filled politician town

Advertisement
Back