Travis Homer Spring

The thing that Homer has working against him is that he's not Richt's guy.

We know CMR loves Walton and badly wants Dye (whom he recruited years ago).

Burns, Lingard, Davis are all going to be in the mix in 2018.

He could be the odd man out. He MUST seize this opportunity.

I know the op isnt this dumb so im just going to go with trolling and move on

Advertisement
I've so it over and over Homer will outplay Walton simple as that. He doesn't dance behind the line like Walton does. Homer will prove to be a very very solid #2 and will take the number 1 spot once Walton leaves
So he's gonna outplay him, "it's so over", but he won't be #1 till Walton leaves?

Makes total sense.

Yearby outplayed Walton, by a lot, for the first half of our ACC schedule. Walton never lost his carries, but Yearby lost his carries to Gus.

Walton is Richt's guy. Richt showed he's sticking with Walton no matter what. For better or worse, Walton's his dude. So Homer can outplay Walton, and Walton will remain the starter.

View attachment 43505

We play 8 ACC games. In the first 4 ACC games GT/FSU/UNC/VT:

Walton - 64 carries - 203 yds - 3.17 ypc - 1 TD. Longest run was 14 yards. Only had 2 runs that went for 10 yards.
Yearby - 38 carries - 237 yds - 6.23 ypc - 2 TD. Had 2 40+ runs

Had to go back and check the stats, but you're right, Walton was definitely the better of the two. Hard to argue for Yearby when you see the stats.
Yeah Walton definitely had some struggles.

The way he played down the stretch and the complete unknown of Homer is what baffles me about this thread. If you said Yearby, that would be understandable, but now suddenly Homer is a better back? Not just you obviously I'm speaking in general. Based on absolutely nothing. I just don't see it. Not that Walton can't be outplayed, but there's no logic being used with Homer, just simple "the guy on the bench is always better" mentality.

So he's gonna outplay him, "it's so over", but he won't be #1 till Walton leaves?

Makes total sense.

Yearby outplayed Walton, by a lot, for the first half of our ACC schedule. Walton never lost his carries, but Yearby lost his carries to Gus.

Walton is Richt's guy. Richt showed he's sticking with Walton no matter what. For better or worse, Walton's his dude. So Homer can outplay Walton, and Walton will remain the starter.

View attachment 43505

Walton - 64 carries - 203 yds - 3.17 ypc - 1 TD. Longest run was 14 yards. Only had 2 runs that went for 10 yards.

Had to go back and check the stats, but you're right, Walton was definitely the better of the two. Hard to argue for Yearby when you see the stats.

The way he played down the stretch and the complete unknown of Homer is what baffles me about this thread. If you said Yearby, that would be understandable, but now suddenly Homer is a better back? Not just you obviously I'm speaking in general. Based on absolutely nothing. I just don't see it. Not that Walton can't be outplayed, but there's no logic being used with Homer, just simple "the guy on the bench is always better" mentality.

I'm with you. The backup is always the most popular player. I agree it's an argument that used too much.

My personal logic on Homer vs. Walton is this:

RB1 - Walton was Richt's guy. Richt recruited him hard at Georgia. Walton was the starter from the get go when Richt arrived. When Walton struggled through those 5 games in October, Richt stuck with him and never cut back on Walton's carries, even when Yearby was outplaying him.

RB2 - Richt only liked using 2 RB's. When Yearby was getting carries, he wasn't using Gus. When Gus was getting carries, he wasn't using Yearby. It was a battle between Gus & Yearby to get carries, so Homer needed to obviously outplay them both to get any carries. I think Homer was in the mix, but his chances were done once he fumbled against FAMU. Richt hates fumbles. I think Richt figured I've got 2 good guys I trust in Yearby & Gus - so that's my #2 & #3 .

RB1 - Walton is entrenched as the starter. So much like Yearby last year, I think even if Homer outplays Walton, Walton isn't losing any carries.

Athleticism - Homer is bigger, faster, more athletic. Lu said - Homer "popped" when he saw him in practices. He definitely "popped" watching him on Special Teams this year. Homer's ceiling is much higher, especially given where they are development wise at the same age....

Age - I believe right now (I could be wrong) that Walton is 20 years old and Homer is 17. He's at least 2 years younger than Walton. I think most people believe Walton is young for his class and Homer is the right age for his class - but the opposite is true.

So I'm projecting here......but much in the same way I'd project Jeff Thomas over Braxton Berrios. Berrios is our 2nd leading returning WR, and our returning Punt Returner. But just by watching Thomas highlights and seeing his athleticism, I think he'll outplay Berrios both as a WR and Punt Returner this year, even though Berrios has made some really good plays at both positions and has lots of experience vs. Thomas who has no experience. The talent/potential of Thomas outweighs the solid play/experience of Berrios IMO.

I'm making the same projection for Homer to outplay Walton, for pretty much the same reasons.

Last edited:
His last name is perfect considering how out of control some of you are with your expectations of this kid. Jesus get a grip.

His last name is perfect considering how out of control some of you are with your expectations of this kid. Jesus get a grip.

Yes. Homer will get reps for sure and hopefully he becomes an important part of our O...but please .. Mark Walton is a very, very good back. And this year may become a great back.

Advertisement

No crazy expectations of Homer. I just don't see how one can argue he's worse (or better) than Dye, Gray or Burns, given all of them are question marks. And it's a fact that he was an excellent gunner on STs and played with violence. Many people who saw him in practice liked what they saw. So there's reason to be optimistic, not pessimistic like you are. ... Now, if you can point to some reasons for your down-vote of the kid, I'd love to hear them.

View attachment 43505

I'm with you. The backup is always the most popular player. I agree it's an argument that used too much.

RB1 - Walton was Richt's guy. Richt recruited him hard at Georgia. Walton was the starter from the get go when Richt arrived. When Walton struggled through those 5 games in October, Richt stuck with him and never cut back on Walton's carries, even when Yearby was outplaying him.

RB2 - Richt only liked using 2 RB's. When Yearby was getting carries, he wasn't using Gus. When Gus was getting carries, he wasn't using Yearby. It was a battle between Gus & Yearby to get carries, so Homer needed to obviously outplay them both to get any carries. I think Homer was in the mix, but his chances were done once he fumbled against FAMU. Richt hates fumbles. I think Richt figured I've got 2 good guys I trust in Yearby & Gus - so that's my #2 & #3 .

RB1 - Walton is entrenched as the starter. So much like Yearby last year, I think even if Homer outplays Walton, Walton isn't losing any carries.

Athleticism - Homer is bigger, faster, more athletic. Lu said - Homer "popped" when he saw him in practices. He definitely "popped" watching him on Special Teams this year. Homer's ceiling is much higher, especially given where they are development wise at the same age....

Age - I believe right now (I could be wrong) that Walton is 20 years old and Homer is 17. He's at least 2 years younger than Walton. I think most people believe Walton is young for his class and Homer is the right age for his class - but the opposite is true.

So I'm projecting here......but much in the same way I'd project Jeff Thomas over Braxton Berrios. Berrios is our 2nd leading returning WR, and our returning Punt Returner. But just by watching Thomas highlights and seeing his athleticism, I think he'll outplay Berrios both as a WR and Punt Returner this year, even though Berrios has made some really good plays at both positions and has lots of experience vs. Thomas who has no experience. The talent/potential of Thomas outweighs the solid play/experience of Berrios IMO.

I'm making the same projection for Homer to outplay Walton, for pretty much the same reasons.

lulz. Walton and Homer are the same age. Utterly retarded analysis here. Walton graduated a year early and him and Homer are 1 year apart in class.

Last edited:

View attachment 43505

Excellent post man, thanks for putting in the work.

Walton is one of the better backs in the conference, far from perfect but solid, produces touchdowns....so if Homer can push him that would be outstanding for us. Our depth is a little shaky so it's vital that Homer and Burns can contribute in some capacity.

Its not a murders row of backs, but it can still be pretty **** good, no matter who ends up stepping up.

Advertisement

lulz. Walton and Homer are the same age. Utterly retarded analysis here. Walton graduated a year early and him and Homer are 1 year apart in class.
proxy.php

Makes total sense.

View attachment 43505

Meant I have said it over and over. Just my opinion

I've so it over and over Homer will outplay Walton simple as that. He doesn't dance behind the line like Walton does. Homer will prove to be a very very solid #2 and will take the number 1 spot once Walton leaves

Makes total sense.

View attachment 43505

lol. When Walton leaves early for the pros as a 19 year old JR and makes it into the 1st round of the NFL, this troll is STILL gonna be the spouting his idiocy. Then when Lingard and Davis come in and take Homer's lunch money, i'm gonna lmao at this fool.

I think most people believe Walton is young for his class and Homer is the right age for his class - but the opposite is true.

I think you just proved my point.

Mark Walton, Miami, Running Back
Travis Homer, Miami, Running Back

Walton reclassified to his original grade and travis homer is young for his grade. He could've been one of the youngest sophomores or oldest freshmen with his birthdate

Advertisement

Makes total sense.

View attachment 43505

lol. When Walton leaves early for the pros as a 19 year old JR and makes it into the 1st round of the NFL, this troll is STILL gonna be the spouting his idiocy. Then when Lingard and Davis come in and take Homer's lunch money, i'm gonna lmao at this fool.

Lol Walton will be a 3rd round talent

Homer reminds me of Ryan Mathews. Strong, tough runners who aren't that elusive but have twitch.

I like Walton a lot too... but, but I'm waiting to see Homer on the field. See what he's got with confidence and a few games under his belt. Who knows, we might have a two headed dragon in 17. where both pop 1000 yards. Regardless how it shakes, we're in a good position to win. Just WIN is all that matters.

Take Coastal. Take ACC... NEXT

Advertisement
I like Walton a lot too... but, but I'm waiting to see Homer on the field. See what he's got with confidence and a few games under his belt. Who knows, we might have a two headed dragon in 17. where both pop 1000 yards. Regardless how it shakes, we're in a good position to win. Just WIN is all that matters.

Take Coastal. Take ACC... NEXT

172.gif

R... OK, maybe a stretch with (2) 1000 yd backs... But my point is, I think Homer has that "IT" factor and will break loose this year for many yards putting points on the board... 600, 800, 999, I don't give a crap, as long as we win.

Lol I hear you man. Seems like every year someone makes the dual 1k rushers prediction though.

Hopefully Homer is the clear no. 2 heading into the fall. I'm sure things like pass protection and ball security factored into him having a minimal role last year but it's time to cut the cord.

Advertisement
Back