Torrance Gibson Breakdown

I love how people like to point out dual threat QB's that fail and don't point out the hundreds of pocket passers that fail

Seriously. It's such an intellectually dishonest point of view. Pocket passers by far fail in more raw numbers every year than mobile guys, but only the mobile guys who fail get harped on as if pocket passers are sure bets to be good.

Advertisement
Errickson was a West Coast guy and brought a West Coast style single back passing attack. There was nothing particarly revolutionary about what Errickson did.

And I haven't said the read option is garbage. It's a good system for some programs and can be effective if you run it well. But its a gimmick offense. and with the plethora of talent at the skill positions in So Fla a read option is a waste. There is more than enough talent here to successfully run what has always worked for us. A pro style offense. We just need a Qb with half a brain and a decent running back.

I'm sorry but moving to a spread option to lure one HS kid when u have 2 pretty good pro style young QBs on the roster is asinine.

LMAO.

Guys, didn't you notice how Oregon was wasting the talent of skill position players like Josh Huff, Black Mamba and LaMichael James? Seriously, why didn't those guys just transfer? Like, why would Carlos Hyde, Sammy Watkins or Tre Mason even bother showing up on game days just to be wasted?

Errickson was a West Coast guy and brought a West Coast style single back passing attack. There was nothing particarly revolutionary about what Errickson did.

And I haven't said the read option is garbage. It's a good system for some programs and can be effective if you run it well. But its a gimmick offense. and with the plethora of talent at the skill positions in So Fla a read option is a waste. We just need a Qb with half a brain and a decent running back.

I'm sorry but moving to a spread option to lure one HS kid when u have 2 pretty good pro style young QBs on the roster is asinine.

Can I replace read option with our current defense and make the exact same point about why our coaches are asinine for running it?

What's crazy is were very progressive in the 80s. Always on the cutting edge of schemes and philosophies.

Erickson popularized the one-back spread offense after bringing it to Miami. Then we had Jimmy's "Miami" 4-3, or slide, defense. Once people realized it could be used to stop the college offenses of the day, and also was successful at the NFL level, it became very popular, and started a resurgence in the use of the 4-3.

But I guess it's important we remain stagnant under this fake idea that we've always been plodding around the field with the same boring scheme for the last 40 years.

Yup. We were also one of the first teams with a (then-accurate term) pro style offense in the early 80s that emphasized a sophisticated passing game.

The level of football ignorance that comes from people on this board who evidently spend a lot of time thinking, talking and reading about football proves one thing: these people are ******* stupid. Its the only explanation.

This.

Advertisement
The spread option is a gimmicky offense.

461.jpg

This argument is wasted energy.

Gibson is at the top of our board and we are recruiting him as a QB. If he doesn't come here, it won't have anything to do with how much we value him.

Advertisement

And I haven't said the read option is garbage. It's a good system for some programs and can be effective if you run it well. But its a gimmick offense. and with the plethora of talent at the skill positions in So Fla a read option is a waste. There is more than enough talent here to successfully run what has always worked for us. A pro style offense. We just need a Qb with half a brain and a decent running back.

how is the spread a "gimmick offense"? b/c u don't like it?

The only problem with tailoring an offense to one player is what do you do if he gets hurt?

You don't change your entire offense. You add read option principles along with plays that accent his athletic ability. It's not like we'd have an entirely different playbook.

Advertisement
You don't change your entire offense. You add read option principles along with plays that accent his athletic ability. It's not like we'd have an entirely different playbook.

Is he capable of running the part of the play book that doesn't include read option?

Advertisement
The only problem with tailoring an offense to one player is what do you do if he gets hurt?

Good point. Look how ****ed the Eagles were when Vick got hurt and they had to go with Foles.

Was it you I was having the conversation about richrod and how he would crush at Miami but the "pro set only" would hate him. You asked if that crowd still existed. I give you exhibit A

Dudes up in the thread. Acting as if the wheel would need to be re-invited. In order to have Gibson, and some traditional type QB on the same roster.

how is the spread a "gimmick offense"? b/c u don't like it?

I wasnt referring to the "spread" in general, but the spread option specifically. And it is a gimmick because its predicated on having ONE special athlete at QB that can make it all work. Without that the rest of the components simply wont function.

And again, this has gone totally off script here. I didnt say we WOULD change our entire offense just for Gibson, I said that in his recruitment, a team like OSU is going to have the upper hand, IMO, because they ALREADY run an offensive system perfectly suited for him, while we do not. Others have since chimed in that we could move to that system, but that doesnt solve many problems either. For one thing, offerig to change the offense IF the kid comes, and IF he can beat out the other QBs is still a big strech when competing against Meyer's pitch where they already have that offense in place and running smoothly. And if you are saying we would change the offense once he gets here, then what do you do with all the other pro style QBs we have on the roster now? Finally, the idea that we would change it, or OFFER to change it just to lure him in, seems insane to me. It would be one thing if we had NO ONE at QB right now and the kid was our only hope. But we have some young ballers at QB right now we are trying to develop. I mean Kaaya hasnt even signed his **** LOI and we have people in here suggesting we should be offereing to switch to a Read Option offense to lure Gibson, who isnt even a HS Senior yet. SMDH

C4L,

The option has been around for **** near a century. It's a tried and true method of running the football. It is anything but a gimmick and you don't need a 'special' QB to run it either.

Advertisement
Back