Torrance Gibson Breakdown

@Pepe Billete

Let's say KAAYA is our STARTER and GIBSON is our BACKUP up 2 seasons from now BRO...any COMPETENT OC will have PACKAGES for athletes like GIBSON BRO...then when GIBSON takes over BRO, the OC EVOLVES and ADAPTS el playbook to GIBSON's strengths BRO.

Advertisement
@Pepe Billete

Let's say KAAYA is our STARTER and GIBSON is our BACKUP up 2 seasons from now BRO...any COMPETENT OC will have PACKAGES for athletes like GIBSON BRO...then when GIBSON takes over BRO, the OC EVOLVES and ADAPTS el playbook to GIBSON's strengths BRO.

You keep missing the point. That's all well and good, and Im sure that is what the staff will pitch the kid. You are having an argument that Im not having. OSU's depth chart, will look better than ours at QB. Their offense is already set up for Gibson to step right in. So in RECRUITING, we are going to have to compete against Meyer basically offering the kid the keys to the OSU offense as early as a Frosh, while we are offering competition with 2 other young pro style QBs, in an offense that is more pro style oriented, with the promise that we will throw in some packages for him and IF/WHEN he ends up winning the job down the road, we will adapt the offense more to suit him.

For that pitch to work, the kid is going to have to basically LOVE UM, by DYING to come here, and pass up what is likely earlier playing time, in an offense already better suited to him, and with a coach that runs that offense about as good as anyone in the nation.

As I keep saying, its an uphill battle. That's not to say we shouldnt try. Ive never said we shouldnt recruit the kid hard, but Ive said all along, there are other factors that are going to appeal to him more at other schools IMO. Unless the kid just has a powerful desire to come to UM, I think its going to be a very tough pull for us. And it has nothing to do with how HARD you recruit him. Unless we can say "hey, were moving to a spread option, and we think you can come right in as a Frosh and play it" OSU is going to have a leg up in this battle.

Hey OP, I'm sure glad you aren't making choices on which quarterback to take. Sure would hate to recruit a 5 star qb.

Hey OP, I'm sure glad you aren't making choices on which quarterback to take. Sure would hate to recruit a 5 star qb.

OP has seen Gibson more than anyone. He's not sayin he wouldn't take Gibson at qb, he's just sayin his talent at WR is ridiculous. Kevin Beard, Mike rumph, pat surtain, and others said the exact same thing as OP. They still like Gibson's massive potential at qb

I read the first two pages of this thread so if discussed I apologize.

Don't know much about Gibson, however, from what I gather he is 1.) an elite athlete 2.) VERY raw quarterback prospect (not sure why everyone is penciling him in as a starter the second he steps on campus).

How do you even recruit and remain honest with the kid? Do you tell him you're going to mold your offense to fit his skills? If you do that, you are probably lying to him because: 1.) When he steps foot on campus there are probably a minimum of 4 quarterbacks on the roster (a couple elite prospect pocket passing QB's). So are we going to make Kaaya and Olson start running read option plays? Maybe Coley can read option into the offense seamlessly?

You don't promise player you're going to change up your offense, unless you are promising him the starting job. If Kaaya or Olson develops into what we are hoping, how are we going to handle that situation and develop Gibson to showcase his skills?

I'd love to have Gibson on the roster but the fact of the matter is, we are at a distinct disadvantage going up against OSU and Urban. He has the track record and results using QB's like Gibson. We don't. Grasp reality.

Advertisement
@Pepe Billete

You keep missing the point. That's all well and good, and Im sure that is what the staff will pitch the kid. You are having an argument that Im not having. OSU's depth chart, will look better than ours at QB. Their offense is already set up for Gibson to step right in. So in RECRUITING, we are going to have to compete against Meyer basically offering the kid the keys to the OSU offense as early as a Frosh, while we are offering competition with 2 other young pro style QBs, in an offense that is more pro style oriented, with the promise that we will throw in some packages for him and IF/WHEN he ends up winning the job down the road, we will adapt the offense more to suit him.

For that pitch to work, the kid is going to have to basically LOVE UM, by DYING to come here, and pass up what is likely earlier playing time, in an offense already better suited to him, and with a coach that runs that offense about as good as anyone in the nation.

As I keep saying, its an uphill battle. That's not to say we shouldnt try. Ive never said we shouldnt recruit the kid hard, but Ive said all along, there are other factors that are going to appeal to him more at other schools IMO. Unless the kid just has a powerful desire to come to UM, I think its going to be a very tough pull for us. And it has nothing to do with how HARD you recruit him. Unless we can say "hey, were moving to a spread option, and we think you can come right in as a Frosh and play it" OSU is going to have a leg up in this battle.

This is so common sense it's comical. Not quite sure why people can't grasp it.

@Pepe Billete

This is so common sense it's comical. Not quite sure why people can't grasp it.

Just get them on campus and figure it out later. You don't let TALENT walk even when he doesn't quite fit the mold of our QBs. Guys like Flowers and Treon should all be on campus and get a fair shot at QB. Redshirt em and if they cut they cut the mustard at QB, keep them there. If they don't, move to another position. Treon to WR and flowers to Safety.

Just get them on campus and figure it out later. What a novel concept...

Not once in my post did I infer that we shouldn't go hog wild to get Gibson on campus. He sound's like an elite talent. The reality is we're fighting an uphill battle against teams that "already" run a system that fits his skill set. So........we are at a distinct disadvantage in the recruiting game due to depth chart and system.

Sign him up but I doubt it happens.

Why does OSU have a more favorable depth chart than ours? When their 2014 class comes in, they'll have 4 QBs on the roster the oldest of which is a sophomore.

Advertisement
Why does OSU have a more favorable depth chart than ours? When their 2014 class comes in, they'll have 4 QBs on the roster the oldest of which is a sophomore.

Because Gibson will only have to compete against 1 other guy for the starting job....Barrett. And, if Barrett hadn't injured his knee halfway through his SR year of HS, he probably would have been considered the #1 dual threat QB last year in HS.

Not sure where you get your 4. They'll lose Braxton next year and the other 3 they have are a former walk-on, a 250lb guy who can't run and the Barrett kid. So, Id' say it's pretty favorable depth chart.

Because Gibson will only have to compete against 1 other guy for the starting job....Barrett. And, if Barrett hadn't injured his knee halfway through his SR year of HS, he probably would have been considered the #1 dual threat QB last year in HS.

Not sure where you get your 4. They'll lose Braxton next year and the other 3 they have are a former walk-on, a 250lb guy who can't run and the Barrett kid. So, Id' say it's pretty favorable depth chart.

they have a kid coming in this class, Barrett & Cardale Jones (the guy who can't run I guess but I'm not sure why that would make a difference since Olsen, Crow & Kaaya aren't really runners) I guess the 4th is the walk on.

Compare to Crow, Olsen, Kaaya & Rosier? Crow may as well be a walk on since he'll be passed up depth chart wise when Gibson would enroll anyway.

The only problem with tailoring an offense to one player is what do you do if he gets hurt?

Good point. Look how ****ed the Eagles were when Vick got hurt and they had to go with Foles.

Was it you I was having the conversation about richrod and how he would crush at Miami but the "pro set only" would hate him. You asked if that crowd still existed. I give you exhibit A

I think it was me. I can't help but get annoyed at this stupidity. SMH in 2014 I thought we as a people would be past that.

just to remind y'all what's going on right now.

you are arguing about potential depth charts, TWO years down the line.

see how ridiculous that is?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back