Tirek Austin-Cave at Striker?

If Gil can’t play Striker then he can’t play here.

He doesn’t have the skills to play any other position.

As far as Cave, he’s athletic as ****. I wouldn’t mind seeing him try Striker at all.
I think Frierson should've been a wide receiver from the beginning. If you watch his high school flim he was a lot better as an offensive player.

Advertisement
I think Frierson will improve...Can't convince me he's not a FS though. Centerfielder type.

It is difficult for me to believe he has ever been used or contemplated for anything besides free safety. I saw Frierson plenty at Gables. He was a confident playmaking deep safety. I thought he projected perfectly to that role in college. He never struck me as a physical type or anyone who should be asked to gain weight toward striker or anything else.

Frierson was also a very good high school kick returner but not fast or dynamic enough for first string duties there in college.

Too much thinking going on by the staff. Some of this stuff is not overly complicated.

How about we just get rid of this dumb position and put three linebackers or two linebackers and a nickelback in there like real football teams do?
Georgia not a real football team either? How about the countless NFL teams who use the same positions? Hybrid safety/LBs who can cover the smaller shifty guys and the big TEs are a part of football now. I really don't know what to tell y'all.

Cave is a LB, Washington should be the first new guy to get reps at striker and if he cant do it, then try Harrell. Cave is a LB, I cant believe the staff cant even see that.

Washington is about 2 years away physically from being a striker.

That kid needs to eat and hit the weights.

Advertisement
I disagree. For one I don’t trust these coaches evaluation of talent. Obviously if they can’t evaluate talent they have no idea where to put players on the field to be successful. Frierson was making several plays during spring ball. I don’t know where people are getting the notion that he is too slow to play corner. Look up his HS highlights. Kid just needs to play more and build his confidence.

Gil is plenty fast enough to play - faster than Ivey. He's just tight in the hips from what i've seen. If he can't get his hands on a WR, it could be trouble. Ivey has the same issues when he can't man up a guy but his is more speed issues.

Again though, i would have kept him at DB for at least a year, see how he progressed. To me it didn't make sense to force him into the Striker role, other than for coaches to admit they have bombed on LB recruiting for about 3 years and needed a warm body.

Amari Carter should be moved to Striker/LB, TAC is a Weak Side or even a Mike Backer.

Tired Austin-Cave has Deion Jones type upside, his combination of prototype size, speed, football IQ & overall toughness is extremely needed within our next LB corps, keep him as a pure LB, trying to make him a coverage Hybrid is idiotic & if Lazy Patke suggested it then it needs to be rejected immediately, that ****** guy is nothing but a pure Corch to the tenth power.

The 3 LB's should be Brooks, Huff & Cave, with guys like Joyner, McCloud, Carter & Jennings rotating in. We need a big infusion of speed & athleticism into the LB group, if this staff starts are these injury prone slow guys just because they're upperclassmen we'll continue to be a boom or bust Defense that gets picked apart against teams that actually know how to utilize their weapons on offense. It'll be a bunch of Va Tech, GTech, Duke & FIU type games happening all over again.

Agreed! Do not **** up TACs true potential. Start the 3 young lions against base sets - and bring in Couch and/or Williams when teams go 3-5 wide. We have the personnel to be a really good defense next year with a better DC. But, because these numb nuts think they really produced the #1 Pass Defense a year ago, they’re going to stroke themselves and totally ***** the pooch.

Agreed! Do not **** up TACs true potential. Start the 3 young lions against base sets - and bring in Couch and/or Williams when teams go 3-5 wide. We have the personnel to be a really good defense next year with a better DC. But, because these numb nuts think they really produced the #1 Pass Defense a year ago, they’re going to stroke themselves and totally ***** the pooch.

Good stuff...I think Mcloud will start and that he can be better on the weak side. I agree top 5 should def be

Brooks, Mcloud, Huff, Joyner, TAC...Frierson too I guess, but I think Huff is a better option there.

I don't think Jennings is terrible in a pinch if we have injuries.

Good stuff...I think Mcloud will start and that he can be better on the weak side. I agree top 5 should def be

Brooks, Mcloud, Huff, Joyner, TAC...Frierson too I guess, but I think Huff is a better option there.

I don't think Jennings is terrible in a pinch if we have injuries.

He‘s going to start - just like a certain mediocre DE started and should have gotten far less snaps to start the season. Mcloud isn’t physical enough for my liking. No way they should move him to the middle. If they’re insisting on starting him - they need to just put him at WLB and allow him to call the plays. Keep hIm on the field (3rd down) for the first few games, and then transition to the two Lions after they’re settled.

Advertisement
It's ****** infuriating.

TAC is a true pure LB, trying to convert him into a Hybrid Nickel Backer is retarded & a dereliction of duty.

There's not single suggestion coming from Patke that should ever be taken serious or actually implemented.

We have the players to run the 4-2-5 as is or go back to a more 4-3 base set, we can actually use both & just go to the 4-2-5 in a Nickel package.

We could easily go in an attacking 4-3 base & 4-2-5 with:

WLB - Tirek Austin-Cave or Sam Brooks/ Corey Flagg
MLB - Sam Brooks or TAC/ BJ Jennings
SLB - Avery Huff/ Zach McCloud/ Patrick Joyner
Striker - Amari Carter/ Jalen Harrell/ Keshawn Washington

WDE - Jaelan Phillips/ Jahfari Harvey/ Chantz Williams
DT - Nesta Silvera/ Jason Blissett/ Jalar Holley/ Elijah Roberts
DT - Jon Ford/ Jordan Miller/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Willie Moise (if he signs)
SDE - Gregory Rousseau/ Cam Williams/ Quentin Williams/

CB1 - Trajan Bandy (if he comes back)/ Christian Williams
CB2 - Al Blades Jr/ DJ Ivey
CB3 - Te'Cory Couch/ Marcus Clarke (redshirt)
(Hopefully we add a grad transfer or another CB on NSD Feb)

FS - Gurvan Hall/ Gilbert Frierson/ Jalen Harrell
SS - Bubba Bolden/ Keontra Smith/ Brian Balom

He‘s going to start - just like a certain mediocre DE started and should have gotten far less snaps to start the season. Mcloud isn’t physical enough for my liking. No way they should move him to the middle. If they’re insisting on starting him - they need to just put him at WLB and allow him to call the plays. Keep hIm on the field (3rd down) for the first few games, and then transition to the two Lions after they’re settled.

Oh I think physical is best thing...I seen him uncoil and stop a lot of kids at UM in their tracks since he's been here.

Coverage (he looked better against pitt and got his hands on a ball on an ivey pick even) is where he's struggled, and I think his first season or so, the mental part didn't come really didn't come easy to him, he was just raw and didn't understand things...But I think he's improved the last 2 years and has just been asked to have responsibilities that don't suit him...Remember he came in at 220, and has probably been 230s fir at least last 2 seasons...That isn't easy for a striker. I think he's an explosive athlete though and if he isn't asked to play our sam/striker, and he's improved in recognition he can have a good senior year. It's honestly like we are watching a different player if you think physicality is what he likes, but to each their own.

Amari Carter should be moved to Striker/LB, TAC is a Weak Side or even a Mike Backer.

People saying Frierson can't play here or has no position are doing so as a result of our ****** Defensive staff misusing him. He's not a Hybrid LB which is what the Striker position is, he's a Safety & asking him to cover the run like a LB is stupid AF. He was a ballhawking FS in HS & we took him out of position & forced him to play as a spot he has no natural feel for.

Tired Austin-Cave has Deion Jones type upside, his combination of prototype size, speed, football IQ & overall toughness is extremely needed within our next LB corps, keep him as a pure LB, trying to make him a coverage Hybrid is idiotic & if Lazy Patke suggested it then it needs to be rejected immediately, that ****** guy is nothing but a pure Corch to the tenth power.

The 3 LB's should be Brooks, Huff & Cave, with guys like Joyner, McCloud, Carter & Jennings rotating in. We need a big infusion of speed & athleticism into the LB group, if this staff starts are these injury prone slow guys just because they're upperclassmen we'll continue to be a boom or bust Defense that gets picked apart against teams that actually know how to utilize their weapons on offense. It'll be a bunch of Va Tech, GTech, Duke & FIU type games happening all over again.

Truth but Carter is Banda’s freaking love child so it’s never going to happen.

Remember these are the same MFERS that had JJ in the box but Jamal Carter playing deep FS.

Advertisement
I don’t mind going back to a 4-3 but let’s not forget why we had to go to a Striker to begin with. McCloud was horrible and there was nobody behind him that was better or even healthy. We should be kissing Romeo Finley’s a$$ for bailing us out with the Striker role. I don’t mind getting rid of it now but let’s not act like it wasn’t needed the last 2 years.

It's ****** infuriating.

TAC is a true pure LB, trying to convert him into a Hybrid Nickel Backer is retarded & a dereliction of duty.

There's not single suggestion coming from Patke that should ever be taken serious or actually implemented.

We have the players to run the 4-2-5 as is or go back to a more 4-3 base set, we can actually use both & just go to the 4-2-5 in a Nickel package.

I will roll with that starting lineup all day! There’s no need for them to outsmart themselves. But, I’m pretty confident that they are going to burn up some corn flakes in 2020.

It's ****** infuriating.

Diaz wants to fck his defensive players over wiTh this 24/7 striker bs bc he thinks it’s too hard to sub out one player to go from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 against the “elite” Offenses in the Coastal division.

Advertisement
Base defense and then bring in a nickel defender. Keep it simple. Our guys are thinking too much and this is why we bust coverages

I hadn't thought about it, but Patke brought it up as a possibility. Frierson was a disappointment last year and there is nobody behind him.

Looked good in coverage here:

thank goodness someonesaid this about Frierson. Kid is a true cane but he always seems out of place on the field. If no one challenges him for the starting job well you know the rest.

Advertisement
Back