Tirek Austin-Cave at Striker?

Advertisement
Yup, stiffness and technique are Frierson's main issues. But when you listen to non-evaluators like Duasso talk about how the kid is a dawg and he's fast and he's a playmaker and yada yada....well you get unrealistic expectations. https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/where-we-go-from-here.136086/page-13#post-3418412 https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/damarius-good-commits.133819/page-7#post-3323532

TAC is a WILL imo and Harrell is the Striker. If Flagg and Huff prove they're ready soon then you can think about TAC at Striker. I have 0 expectations for Brooks much like I had low expectations for Frierson so that factors in.

I thought physicality was Gil's biggest issue. He's not fluid but Romeo is stiffer than he is. Agree on Harrell as the striker of the future.

Yup, stiffness and technique are Frierson's main issues. But when you listen to non-evaluators like Duasso talk about how the kid is a dawg and he's fast and he's a playmaker and yada yada....well you get unrealistic expectations. https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/where-we-go-from-here.136086/page-13#post-3418412 https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/damarius-good-commits.133819/page-7#post-3323532

TAC is a WILL imo and Harrell is the Striker. If Flagg and Huff prove they're ready soon then you can think about TAC at Striker. I have 0 expectations for Brooks much like I had low expectations for Frierson so that factors in.
I think frierson has the make up to be a great striker I think like many kids who get there first set of snaps they try to do to much and get beat badly. This will be a big offseason for him. Just needs to out there and play. Of all our lbs I would put huff at striker he has played in deep coverage(played safety at Aquinas good amount of reps). I like cave in the box he has alot of pop and brooks has been my sleeper for a while kid is really good imo he is gonna live in the back field only problem with him is he gives up on plays going back to highschool

Advertisement
Advertisement
Frierson is definitely not slow. It’s all about reps and confidence for him. He could easily play CB and perform well with more reps and development. The physical tools are there for him.

Advertisement
Everyone complains about having speed on the field especially at LB so why would we put our fastest LB recruit in a special striker package? TAC to me is an every down LB who has the speed to cover RB's and TE's on 3rd downs. We need to stop forcing kids into certain positions to cover up errors for other positions. This is year 3 for Frierson... he's either a striker or he's on the bench behind Bolden/Hall.

I've said from Day 1 I would have kept Gil at DB. He looked a little stiff to play CB, maybe would only survive beating the **** out of kids on the line in press man, but i would have expected a natural progression to safety if nothing else.

Not seeing him at practice against higher comp makes it hard to see but Striker that early without seeing his progress as a DB surprised me. He never looked like a fit at striker.

**** nah..Harrell is exactly what u want in a SS. Length and can tackle. But Cave is definitely not a extra safety. Moving him to striker, That would be dumb given what we ask from that position, witch is at time play man instead of automatically having to switch to zone if a team decides to spread you out with a late motion or 11 personell. Honestly I wish we’d sub a 4th CB more rather then deleting on a 3rd safety in Man v man coverage situations.

SDE Phillips/patch
WSDE Greg/Harvey
DT/nose Ford/Blissett
3tch nesta/hunte
ILB Mccloud/Jennings
WSLB Brooks/huff/cave/steed
CB boundary Blades/Williams
CB field Ivey/bandy
Slot bandy/couch
Dime DB (wish we would see more) couch/smith

SS carter/Smith/Harrell
FS Hall or Bubba can start at both safety spots imo

strikers or extra safety/LB Gil/Carter/Washington

Advertisement
I've said from Day 1 I would have kept Gil at DB. He looked a little stiff to play CB, maybe would only survive beating the **** out of kids on the line in press man, but i would have expected a natural progression to safety if nothing else.

Not seeing him at practice against higher comp makes it hard to see but Striker that early without seeing his progress as a DB surprised me. He never looked like a fit at striker.
Cave will come in and take his lunch

Gill better step tf up..

Frierson is definitely not slow. It’s all about reps and confidence for him. He could easily play CB and perform well with more reps and development. The physical tools are there for him.
Frierson can not easily play CB, why do you think he was moved. He is not a CB.

The striker position is broken. What it should be is a position they recruit plus athletes to play. Instead it is a position where they apparently want to put failed safeties, safeties who fill out too big, and failed corners there (or apparently light freshmen linebackers). The striker position can get manned up on a wide receiver going deep (Florida game anyone).

If the staff could recruit a guy as athletic and talented as Bolden or Hall would be at striker.

Putting Cave at striker is a bad idea. The kid is a prototype linebacker for this defense. He isn’t covering a wide receiver running a post.

Last edited:
Cave is a LB, Washington should be the first new guy to get reps at striker and if he cant do it, then try Harrell. Cave is a LB, I cant believe the staff cant even see that.

Advertisement
Back