Tired of hearing about the striker position....

Advertisement
I understand that, but I'm not on the train that claims that players like Ramsey and Joyner only come with being 5 stars, there are prospects out there, UM needs to find them because they are out there.
I’ll never argue against getting the best player possible but there’s more to being able to play the run than liking to hit. Bandy was not afraid to stick his nose in against the run but he wasn’t capable enough of getting off blocks to be an impact run defender. A guy like Jalen Ramsey would be ideal because of his size/strength combo and his coverage abilities but once again, we’re talking about a once in a blue moon type of player.

Advertisement
In some situations just get a **** nickle on the field. Having Frierson on a speedy receiver cost us the Florida game.
That did not cost us the Florida game lol..on that particular play the single high safety blew his assessment I believe that was carter

Let me add the speed part, they recruiting slow af mofos who can not cover the slow but can hit, a big difference from what I said.
Who? Are these slow mofos? Your overall point honestly makes sense..we all want better personel..but sticking to the striker position u can’t just say hey let’s go get the fastest, highest rated DB for that spot..this isn’t madden or ncaa..Jaylen Ramsey’s l, and minkah Fitzpatrick aren’t growing on trees..so u go get a Keyshawn Washington..a Avery Huff, a gil to play that position u can’t just plug someone thete

Who? Are these slow mofos? Your overall point honestly makes sense..we all want better personel..but sticking to the striker position u can’t just say hey let’s go get the fastest, highest rated DB for that spot..this isn’t madden or ncaa..Jaylen Ramsey’s l, and minkah Fitzpatrick aren’t growing on trees..so u go get a Keyshawn Washington..a Avery Huff, a gil to play that position u can’t just plug someone thete
And all those guys will probably a reliability in coverage, so what's the point of the position if you not gonna recruit the guys needed for it, none of the guys can slide over and play CB of needed to barring injury.

Advertisement
And all those guys will probably a reliability in coverage, so what's the point of the position if you not gonna recruit the guys needed for it, none of the guys can slide over and play CB of needed to barring injury.
Where are u seeing This staff neglecting on recruiting elite prospects lol??? Where👀👀 just cause they didn’t sign don’t mean they wasn’t being sought after

Advertisement
Where are u seeing This staff neglecting on recruiting elite prospects lol??? Where👀👀 just cause they didn’t sign don’t mean they wasn’t being sought after
Theres this misconception through your head that, a prospect who can cover, is fast, and be an asset in the run support is a diamond and is rare af.

Yes, UF has the same position as well even though they run a 3-4 base Defense, they have the Star position which is just a Nickel Safety that plays down in the box vs Run, but can also drop back in coverage & cover TE's, WR's RB's out of the backfield etc, in Zone & Man looks. Chauncey Gardener-Johnson was their "Star" position.

Bama has the Star position as well, Shyheim Carter plays Star for them, he was a CB they converted to Safety. Same with Tennessee.

Oh St has a similar position as well being that they play 3 CB's & 1 Safety instead of the traditional 2 Safeties in their 4-3 scheme. Oregon does too.

San Diego St had one of the best Defenses in the nation last year & they run the 3-3-5 & have the "War" position.

Oklahoma & TCU run the 4-2-5 like we do, Oklahoma uses more 3 down lineman sets than us but it's basically the same defense. Muschamp at South Carolina runs the 4-3 but uses their Nickel like a Striker in their scheme.

Lots of teams use it & have a player on their defense that has versatility in their assignments which allows them to stay on the field vs no huddle offenses & can cover multiple spots.
Of all the schools and the defenses they run, which do you think El fits Miami’s personnel the best and to what we typically get recruiting wise?

How about us being gashed by TEs? Wasn't this (and the above) a criticism of Shannon's defenses before the onslaught of spread offenses? Linking this to spread offenses is IMO just a rationalization to cover a gap in skill sets.
everyone knows the te position is the hardest to defend.how many super bowls have the patriots won while having a te as it's main weapon.

Advertisement
Why don’t teams just play 7 DBs and not bother with linebackers? DBs are faster and far better in coverage. It’s because in real football, teams will run it down your throat if you don’t have anybody who can take on blockers and fill their gaps. Running to the ball and tackling the guy is only a part of good team run defense. Every player has their assigned fit on a running play. That’s basically the spot you defend against the run. Sometimes your responsibility is to literally run into and hit the blocker to attempt to redirect the running back. You can’t just run around blocks because you’ll end up out of position while the running back and his blocker run right past you. This is why you need to sacrifice speed for size and strength at certain positions. I’m not saying you should purposely target slow guys, speed relative to the position is always important. You just can’t run out a bunch of 185 lb linebackers because they’re quick. That’s why it’s a struggle to find perfect guys for hybrid positions. DBs who can cover are plentiful, Linebackers who can play the run are too. Guys who can cover line a corner but play the run like a middle linebacker aren’t.

Last edited:
Now look at this ****, you UM staff is recruiting Caden Fordham and Chase Smith as a pure striker, instead of trying to add a physical DB who can cover as well as be an asset in the run game. UM idea of a striker is an undersize slow LB, 😂😂😂 like come on. I do like Chase Smith as a LB, but other kid is slow as molasses and you want him to cover the slot, which is something are strikers do often

Well, it's a bit difficult to find specific Strikers because most kids in HS don't play in a 4-2-5 Defense, so you kinda have to recruit a Safety or a LB for that spot.

Frierson IMO should be playing FS as is anyway, I still to this very disagree with playing him at Striker, but I think they're logic was due to his size at a legit 6'2 with his long armed frame that he could eventually grow into a solid striker replacement for Finley. Rome Finley was a Safety that was as big as a LB & he could drop back in Zone coverage & as well as in Man so he wound up fitting it perfect while we could afford to put Jaquan & Redwine on the backend.

I think due to personnel & lack of depth at CB we should play a lot more Hybrid 4-3 base, it would give our LB's a better chance to have more impact in the run game, the problem is we're thin st LB too lol.

Ultimately, we could have some pretty good Strikers on this Defense it's just that they're all young guys & need time to develop. I hope Frierson continues to get better & plays well, he had moments where he made plays in the run game & showed some flashes of his cover skills vs FSU, but I still think he'd excel more as a pure Safety.

Jalen Harrell could potentially be a very good Striker, but again he's a TF & unfortunately is not an EE.

I disagree I think Frierson gambles too much to be the last line of defense.. having him closer to the line a scrimmage to get the most out of those aggressive plays is smarter to me where there is someone on the back end to clean it up if he doesn't make the play

I disagree I think Frierson gambles too much to be the last line of defense.. having him closer to the line a scrimmage to get the most out of those aggressive plays is smarter to me where there is someone on the back end to clean it up if he doesn't make the play
Top much room for error, you're asking a guy to be perfect in situations where there is just too much room for error.

Advertisement
Back