Tired of hearing about the striker position....

Now look at this ****, you UM staff is recruiting Caden Fordham and Chase Smith as a pure striker, instead of trying to add a physical DB who can cover as well as be an asset in the run game. UM idea of a striker is an undersize slow LB, 😂😂😂 like come on. I do like Chase Smith as a LB, but other kid is slow as molasses and you want him to cover the slot, which is something are strikers do often
Caden fordam from bolles is listed as a Safety and plays it in HS..not sure where u see particularly slow show up on his film which from his soph season on 247..highly productive and physicality shoI don’t see any testing numbers on him

Smith out of Bayside is listed as a ATH plays WR/DB in HS..idk where u see a projection to pure inside the box LB on his tape

if our D is switching to a 4-2-5 base with that 3rd LB being a hybrid safety/linebacker you should recruit for that position. U want size, some speed and toughness there. Not all Hs CBS orsafety’s will fit that

Advertisement
Muffs.jpg

Tired of hearing about guys being recruited to play the striker position. In general, it seems to mean recruiting a DB that has subpar coverage skills or is a step slow. How about we just recruit the best DBs. Lets keep it simple stupid. Recruiting versatility is key, Belichick has proven how valuable versatility can be.

Caden fordam from bolles is listed as a Safety and plays it in HS..not sure where u see particularly slow show up on his film which from his soph season on 247..highly productive and physicality shoI don’t see any testing numbers on him

Smith out of Bayside is listed as a ATH plays WR/DB in HS..idk where u see a projection to pure inside the box LB on his tape

if our D is switching to a 4-2-5 base with that 3rd LB being a hybrid safety/linebacker you should recruit for that position. U want size, some speed and toughness there. Not all Hs CBS orsafety’s will fit that
My point exactly, either they take undersize LB or bigger Safeties, who both have slow feet. It's stupid and terrible. They would be better off getting a DB who can actually play, hit and cover. And who gives af **** what he plays, I look at tape and whether he played S or LB it's a fact that he is slow af and a liability in coverage. Again I look at tape, I dont give af what the sites say; I look at projection and if you think those guys can go man to man on Wr or a slot guy then you are delusional. Who gives a **** about size, that size argument is stupid, why would you sacrifice size for speed and coverage ability when you can get a guy who is slightly smaller but can cover way better and be just as good in the run game. Being the best football player should be a priority, not size

My point exactly, either they take undersize LB or bigger Safeties, who both have slow feet. It's stupid and terrible. They would be better off getting a DB who can actually play, hit and cover. And who gives af **** what he plays, I look at tape and whether he played S or LB it's a fact that he is slow af and a liability in coverage. Again I look at tape, I dont give af what the sites say; I look at projection and if you think those guys can go man to man on Wr or a slot guy then you are delusional. Who gives a **** about size, that size argument is stupid, why would you sacrifice size for speed and coverage ability when you can get a guy who is slightly smaller but can cover way better and be just as good in the run game. Being the best football player should be a priority, not size
so like I said..your problem is the personel. That’s totally different then the position in particular..but guys who can cover and play in the box are rare. That’s what your not understanding. So if your going off DB or LB recruiting rankings thats very misleading. A recruiting service might be evaluating a player as strictly a safety in the back end in college and therefore a kid like Caden might not grade high, but could be a ideal player to handle a role like striker. **** Bama experimented with Surtain who was a elite DB prospect at the star but had to stick him back at corner. But a kid like Isiah Simmons who u would consider in Highschool to slow to play safety but too small to play in the box at LB fit perfectly for what Clemson had him doing which is similar to being a striker. Kid was a 3 star safety on 247

Because you’re completely disregarding run stopping ability and focusing solely on coverage ability. Size and strength DOES matter when you’re playing up near the line line of scrimmage. If it didn’t, they could just use a nickel corner every down because he’s a better coverage guy. You’re going full in on speed and coverage ability while assuming any 180 lb DB can take on blocks in the run game. There is a reason why defenses use linebackers and not just 7 defensive backs every down.

Advertisement
so like I said..your problem is the personel. That’s totally different then the position in particular..but guys who can cover and play in the box are rare. That’s what your not understanding. So if your going off DB or LB recruiting rankings thats very misleading. A recruiting service might be evaluating a player as strictly a safety in the back end in college and therefore a kid like Caden might not grade high, but could be a ideal player to handle a role like striker. **** Bama experimented with Surtain who was a elite DB prospect at the star but had to stick him back at corner. But a kid like Isiah Simmons who u would consider in Highschool to slow to play safety but too small to play in the box at LB fit perfectly for what Clemson had him doing which is similar to being a striker. Kid was a 3 star safety on 247
I have zero problem with the position, I like it. I just dont like who they have playing the position or who they think can play the position and personally I dont think it should be a base defense but that is a whole different conversation.

Our strikers cover a lot, and teams are going to start trying to match up their slot Wrs against them; there is no way you can convince that prospects like Fordham and Smith can cover at the next level effectively. In every CFB team who has some version of the striker they all seem to prioritize covering ability first, then you go to the physicality/ speed, which is not that hard to find. Surtain is also not that physical, you need a guy at the striker position that can hit.

Isiah Simmons from Clemson is 6'4 230lb, definitely not undersize.... he is a freak.

Last edited:
Because you’re completely disregarding run stopping ability and focusing solely on coverage ability. Size and strength DOES matter when you’re playing up near the line line of scrimmage. If it didn’t, they could just use a nickel corner every down because he’s a better coverage guy. You’re going full in on speed and coverage ability while assuming any 180 lb DB can take on blocks in the run game. There is a reason why defenses use linebackers and not just 7 defensive backs every down.
I'm not disregarding run capability at all, people act like just because somebody is bigger he is suppose to be better in the run, theoretically yes, but the better football player regardless of size will be better period, I use Ramsey as an example becuase of his size, dudes not that big and he still plays the wood and is better in the run the run support, because he is physical at the point of attack. Yes he is a 5 star, but you can find DBs who can cover and be physical at the point of the attack that are not 3 stars. Striker is literally does that exact same thing a nickle does, I watch games and there are not many clips of are strikers taking on blocks and shedding them like a LB would.

I have zero problem with the position, I like it. I just dont like who they have playing the position or who they think can play the position and personally I dont think it should be a base defense but that is a whole different conversation.

Our strikers cover a lot, and teams are going to start trying to match up their slot Wrs against them; there is no way you can convince that prospects like Fordham and Smith can cover at the next level effectively. In every CFB team who has some version of the striker they all seem to prioritize covering ability first, then you go to the physicality/ speed, which is not that hard to find. Surtain is also not that physical, you need a guy at the striker position that can hit.

Isiah Simmons from Clemson is 6'4 230lb, definitely not undersize.... he is a freak.
Never said Simmons was undersized now..my point was Clemson projected him from HS to play that specific position. He was some freak coverage athlete. He was a bigger safety who was physical but not fast enough to be a cover safety on the backend. And not big enough to stick in the box full time. He was the perfect hybrid type and that how they projected him and used him...like I said everybody know we need to be able to sign better personel..but saying that isn’t the same as saying the staff is choosing not too

Advertisement
Back