Tired of hearing about the striker position....

JOE'CANE

Senior
Tired of hearing about guys being recruited to play the striker position. In general, it seems to mean recruiting a DB that has subpar coverage skills or is a step slow. How about we just recruit the best DBs. Lets keep it simple stupid. Recruiting versatility is key, Belichick has proven how valuable versatility can be.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The striker it's supposed to be a guy with versatility to play linebacker or DB. I don't think they sit around recruiting meeting saying we need to find a slow safety with some muscle.

Romeo is going to get paid off of his versatility by the way.
Yea and they recruited him as a true safety. I dont think the position existed when he was being recruited.

Advertisement
The Striker is a just a Hybrid LB/Safety.

It's not a new position or anything that hasn't been used before, it's basically the Sam Backer or the Nickel Safety in the 4-2-5 Defense.

Our problem is we haven't recruited well enough to find the perfect fit, but lots of Defenses run the 4-2-5 because it's actually one of the best Defenses to run against the Spread offense.

If we had better cover Corners & better Safety play like we did with Jaquan, Mike Jack, Malek Young etc, you'd see the Defense run a lot more proficiently.

But there's nothing new or inherently wrong with the Striker position.

I don’t agree though because hasn’t this been the issue for years here? We had guys that were tweeners and we couldn’t ultimately figure out what to do with them. There seems to be a lot that always fit that mold in South Florida. So when the position was created it seemed to address a problem we’ve had.

And agreeing with @Liberty City El especially when you’re recruiting isn’t great

The Striker is a just a Hybrid LB/Safety.

It's not a new position or anything that hasn't been used before, it's basically the Sam Backer or the Nickel Safety in the 4-2-5 Defense.

Our problem is we haven't recruited well enough to find the perfect fit, but lots of Defenses run the 4-2-5 because it's actually one of the best Defenses to run against the Spread offense.

If we had better cover Corners & better Safety play like we did with Jaquan, Mike Jack, Malek Young etc, you'd see the Defenes run a lot more proficiently.
Do you think its wise to recruit specific to that position?

Both Finley and Frierson were not recruited to play striker specifically they just kinda morphed into it.

I just want the best DBs possible.

The striker position is terrible imo bc it does nothing to disrupt what offenses are doing, you line em up against a WR they get beat, and they also do nothing in run support.

I remember FSUs Star position causing all kinds of problems with Lamarcus Joyner and Jalen Ramsey playing the position. One play they’re lined up as safeties roaming the field, the next they’re lined up at the “Star” position getting a sack or laying into the ball carrier with a big hit.

Our Strikers have no impact in run support, no impact in the pass rush, and no impact in pass coverage unless you guess right on a screen to that side of the field.

Advertisement

Both Finley and Frierson were not recruited to play striker specifically they just kinda morphed into it.

Well, it's a bit difficult to find specific Strikers because most kids in HS don't play in a 4-2-5 Defense, so you kinda have to recruit a Safety or a LB for that spot.

Frierson IMO should be playing FS as is anyway, I still to this very disagree with playing him at Striker, but I think they're logic was due to his size at a legit 6'2 with his long armed frame that he could eventually grow into a solid striker replacement for Finley. Rome Finley was a Safety that was as big as a LB & he could drop back in Zone coverage & as well as in Man so he wound up fitting it perfect while we could afford to put Jaquan & Redwine on the backend.

I think due to personnel & lack of depth at CB we should play a lot more Hybrid 4-3 base, it would give our LB's a better chance to have more impact in the run game, the problem is we're thin st LB too lol.

Ultimately, we could have some pretty good Strikers on this Defense it's just that they're all young guys & need time to develop. I hope Frierson continues to get better & plays well, he had moments where he made plays in the run game & showed some flashes of his cover skills vs FSU, but I still think he'd excel more as a pure Safety.

Jalen Harrell could potentially be a very good Striker, but again he's a TF & unfortunately is not an EE.

they were tweeners. the staff found a way to get them on the field and match up with spread teams. nothing wrong w the striker.

But striker is not just a db. He is the third linebacker at times. EL just mentioned this fact that you continue to ignore. Since the striker plays like an lb sometimes, you cant just recruit a good db. It's a type of guy. Sometimes it's a big safety that can cover, play in space and play in the box. Sometimes it's a slight lb that is super fast. It`s actually a type of guy. Just like a corner is a type of guy, safety is a type of guy, and a lb is a type of guy. ****, a field safety is a different type of guy from the in the box safety. The more I type, the more your premise seems ridiculous

Advertisement
The striker position is terrible imo bc it does nothing to disrupt what offenses are doing, you line em up against a WR they get beat, and it also creates running lanes on that side of the field.

I remember FSUs Star position causing all kinds of problems with Lamarcus Joyner and Jalen Ramsey playing the position. One play they’re lined up as safeties roaming the field, the next they’re lined up at the “Star” position getting a sack or laying into the ball carrier with a big hit.

Our Strikers have no impact in run support, no impact in the pass rush, and no impact in pass coverage unless you guess right on a screen to that side of the field.
What you just described is a personnel issue not a postional or schematic issue.

There's nothing wrong with the Striker position, it's just the players that we have playing the position.

And Rome Finely played well as the Striker in 2018, he was good in that spot, the problem is we haven't developed anybody behind him that can play Striker & elevate from what he did.

OP would make sense if Romeo's PT was a detriment to the team. If anything he has been one of the brighter spots in the defense the last 2 years. It makes sense to have a hybrid lb/s out there in non nickel situations because of today's game. I really don't understand what there is to complain about.

Did we lose anyone in recruiting because we wanted them to play striker and said recruit didn't like it, if so who?

Did we swing and miss for a striker in recruiting and now have a hole their?

Are we asking anyone to play out of position, or out of their comfort zone in a position they don't fit in?

Last edited:
What you just described is a personnel issue not a postional or schematic issue.

There's nothing wrong with the Striker position, it's just the players that we have playing the position.

And Rome Finely played well as the Striker in 2018, he was good in that spot, the problem is we haven't developed anybody behind him that can play Striker & elevate from what he did.
Isn't the FSU star the same type of role as our striker? Versatile guy that covers, blitzes and is strong in run support. I agree with EL on the personnel being the issue, not the role.

Lots of defenses have this role. Always have. The game has changed and you cant line up a nickle on a flexed TE. You can get serious value out of the role if you get the right guy in the role

Advertisement
Back