Tired of hearing about the striker position....

Advertisement
The striker position is terrible imo bc it does nothing to disrupt what offenses are doing, you line em up against a WR they get beat, and they also do nothing in run support.

I remember FSUs Star position causing all kinds of problems with Lamarcus Joyner and Jalen Ramsey playing the position. One play they’re lined up as safeties roaming the field, the next they’re lined up at the “Star” position getting a sack or laying into the ball carrier with a big hit.

Our Strikers have no impact in run support, no impact in the pass rush, and no impact in pass coverage unless you guess right on a screen to that side of the field.
That Star "position" is nothing more than a Fancy name for a Strong Safety....

Tired of hearing about guys being recruited to play the striker position. In general, it seems to mean recruiting a DB that has subpar coverage skills or is a step slow. How about we just recruit the best DBs. Lets keep it simple stupid. Recruiting versatility is key, Belichick has proven how valuable versatility can be.

Eh, if they're keeping the position they have to recruit specific to it. Can't have an undersized guy like a true DB but can't have a traditional LB (typically, elite LBs could). They need a kid big enough to consistently play LB and also match up well in coverage without having to sub.

Romeo will be missed.

Advertisement
The problem with striker position like any other gimmick position is it’s deficiencies as a true position. We want the size of a safety with the coverage skills of a corner and the hitting ability of a linebacker. Doesn’t exist.... personal matchups and whipping the man up front wins. Its a glorified nickel position that’s been getting abused in the running game and passing game because of the miss use of the position. Just my opinion.

Finley was one of the best players on defense the last two years.

Striker is not a nickel corner. He needs to play the run like a linebacker. It’s not madden football where you just put little, fast guys out there and they can magically stop the run as good as a linebacker who is much stronger.

You can’t just rotate out your striker for a nickel corner when you feel like it because it’s 2020 and a boatload of teams go no huddle a lot. If the offense doesn’t sub, the defense can’t either. Most teams use 11 personnel with 3 wide as their base and can certainly run the ball very well from it. You need to be versatile enough to be able to stop the run on early downs and play the pass without having to make sub packages.

There’s pretty much two “modern” football defenses. The 4-2-5 which has one hybrid safety linebacker and the 3-3-5 which has two hybrid players, a linebacker/safety “Star” and a linebacker/defensive end “rush”. I find it hilarious that the same people clamoring for a “Star” position are the same people who cry about defensive ends dropping into coverage which is a common part of a 3-3-5 scheme.

Almost every team has this position, whether it’s all the time or in certain packages. There is nothing wrong with it, we just don’t have the right guys to play it. We need to start matching up with teams, instead of having just one guy who starts there every game. Carolina went after Finley a lot. Against them I would put an extra corner there. Georgia Tech for example, I would have a safety play there considering they still aren’t proficient throwing it yet.

Free safety was a much bigger problem for Miami last season than striker. Hopefully Bolden can hold it down this year.

Advertisement
The Striker is a just a Hybrid LB/Safety.

It's not a new position or anything that hasn't been used before, it's basically the Sam Backer or the Nickel Safety in the 4-2-5 Defense.

Our problem is we haven't recruited well enough to find the perfect fit, but lots of Defenses run the 4-2-5 because it's actually one of the best Defenses to run against the Spread offense.

If we had better cover Corners & better Safety play like we did with Jaquan, Mike Jack, Malek Young etc, you'd see the Defense run a lot more proficiently.

But there's nothing new or inherently wrong with the Striker position.
IIRC, Alabama 1992 team ran a 4-2-5 D against Dennis erickson's spread offense in the 93 sugar bowl. Plus, their D coordinator would bring all 11 men to the line sometimes to try and confuse Torretta which he did and forced 3 picks. That was a tough D and night for miami. Horrible game.

The striker it's supposed to be a guy with versatility to play linebacker or DB. I don't think they sit around recruiting meeting saying we need to find a slow safety with some muscle.

Romeo is going to get paid off of his versatility by the way.
Romeo will get burnt in coverage in the NFL. I think if he played Lb it wont be the best for him. If they make him play safety lets hope he doesn't get beat by another Gt fiu or Lt players in the nfl.

Advertisement
I think what you see and don’t realize is that the hybrid position is relied on too heavily by us without the right player. The “star” looked pretty good at FSU with Joyner and Ramsey.

Romeo had his great games but teams picked on him in coverage and also in the run game often. We just haven’t had that freak yet

The striker position is terrible imo bc it does nothing to disrupt what offenses are doing, you line em up against a WR they get beat, and they also do nothing in run support.

I remember FSUs Star position causing all kinds of problems with Lamarcus Joyner and Jalen Ramsey playing the position. One play they’re lined up as safeties roaming the field, the next they’re lined up at the “Star” position getting a sack or laying into the ball carrier with a big hit.

Our Strikers have no impact in run support, no impact in the pass rush, and no impact in pass coverage unless you guess right on a screen to that side of the field.
It's notthe position, it is who we recruit to play at that position

Advertisement
Is van hoy a LB or DE to in NE? Was Jalen Ramsey a FS,CB, or Star at FSU?..was minkah a FS, nickel, or star at Bama??
Point is positions names were given for the simple reason so novist could follow the game and players...I don’t understand what is so hard to understand about the role the striker position plays in this defense..it’s player who can A. Show up in Run support and B. Is athletic enough to be dependable in pass coverage
Your just proving this guy points 😂😂😂, u think Ramsey and Minkah were recruited because just to play the star position or becuae they were the best DBs and once they got on campus they were so naturally versatile and athletic they can play anywhere in the backfield.

IIRC, Alabama 1992 team ran a 4-2-5 D against Dennis erickson's spread offense in the 93 sugar bowl. Plus, their D coordinator would bring all 11 men to the line sometimes to try and confuse Torretta which he did and forced 3 picks. That was a tough D and night for miami. Horrible game.

LOL, Lassic did the Fred Sanford on our @$$es.

Your just proving this guy points 😂😂😂, u think Ramsey and Minkah were recruited because just to play the star position or becuae they were the best DBs and once they got on campus they were so naturally versatile and athletic they can play anywhere in the backfield.
They were studs..and were tagged by recruiting services and fans as CB or safety..but in college carved out and excelled at specific role..I’m not making his point at all. My point is don’t get caught up on the position or name. It’s about the role it plays going forward in the defense, and you should recruit specifically to that position..which is nothing more then a 3rd safety type on The field..so yes we should identify players who can fill that Position

Advertisement
Back