Tired of hearing about the striker position....

They were studs..and were tagged by recruiting services and fans as CB or safety..but in college carved out and excelled at specific role..I’m not making his point at all. My point is don’t get caught up on the position or name. It’s about the role it plays going forward in the defense, and you should recruit specifically to that position..which is nothing more then a 3rd safety type on The field..so yes we should identify players who can fill that Position
He is not caught up in the position or name. He is saying, **** trying to recruit people to play the striker position specifically and recruit the best DBs instead, with that you will inevitably get guys who can cover the slot and be an asset In the run support, for example Minkah, Ramsey, and Joyner

Advertisement
It’s about matching up with spread teams. It wasn’t built around recruiting misses.
How many spread teams have we been playing? Sure, we played teams that sprinkled in spread concepts, but we haven't played a team like Oklahoma or Baylor in a while. It sounds to me more like spin, we haven't had a LB with coverage skill skills in some time.

He is not caught up in the position or name. He is saying, **** trying to recruit people to play the striker position specifically and recruit the best DBs instead, with that you will inevitably get guys who can cover the slot and be an asset In the run support, for example Minkah, Ramsey, and Joyner
striker is a DB/Hybrid position...you don’t think Bama has their system in Mind when they recruit DBs?

Striker position was a defenses counter to the spread offense.need a player fast enough in coverage but also be stout enough to take on a running back and track down speedy dual threat qbs.
How about us being gashed by TEs? Wasn't this (and the above) a criticism of Shannon's defenses before the onslaught of spread offenses? Linking this to spread offenses is IMO just a rationalization to cover a gap in skill sets.

The striker it's supposed to be a guy with versatility to play linebacker or DB. I don't think they sit around recruiting meeting saying we need to find a slow safety with some muscle.

Romeo is going to get paid off of his versatility by the way.
I hope so

Advertisement
Tired of hearing about guys being recruited to play the striker position. In general, it seems to mean recruiting a DB that has subpar coverage skills or is a step slow. How about we just recruit the best DBs. Lets keep it simple stupid. Recruiting versatility is key, Belichick has proven how valuable versatility can be.
I agree, this position hasn’t worked out for anyone at this time. Got rid it

IIRC, Alabama 1992 team ran a 4-2-5 D against Dennis erickson's spread offense in the 93 sugar bowl. Plus, their D coordinator would bring all 11 men to the line sometimes to try and confuse Torretta which he did and forced 3 picks. That was a tough D and night for miami. Horrible game.
I don't think there was a single snap where there wasn't 8 men in the box. It was constant pressure. The very worst part of that game was when Lamar Thomas finally caught one and ran down the sideline just to have George Teague run him down and strip the ball. The emotion went from thinking this is when we turn the tide to wondering if you should just go to bed.

The striker last year was put on an island with the slot way too much and was beat a lot. Completely agree with LCE that it’s a personal issue. That position needs to be a CB/S hybrid, not a S/LB hybrid.

Advertisement
No I like the idea of a 4-2-5, you can recruit a player that will simply be a striker. It has to be a legit S or CB.
My thing is they make a big deal about striker position. They act as if it’s some type of coveted position. There hasn’t been one player to be name to an All ACC team from that position. You would think it would have produced a Troy polamalu tupe player by now

My thing is they make a big deal about striker position. They act as if it’s some type of coveted position. There hasn’t been one player to be name to an All ACC team from that position. You would think it would have produced a Troy polamalu tupe player by now
The have literally used a striker for two seasons total.

How many spread teams have we been playing? Sure, we played teams that sprinkled in spread concepts, but we haven't played a team like Oklahoma or Baylor in a while. It sounds to me more like spin, we haven't had a LB with coverage skill skills in some time.
Pretty much every team's base personnel is 3WR 1RB and 1TE. Whether you want to call it the spread or not, nobody is trotting out a fullback or second tight end outside of short yardage situations these days. Unless you're playing a service academy who runs triple option.

How about us being gashed by TEs? Wasn't this (and the above) a criticism of Shannon's defenses before the onslaught of spread offenses? Linking this to spread offenses is IMO just a rationalization to cover a gap in skill sets.
The old staple of a tight end running free down the middle of Shannon's defense is a direct result of his over reliance on man under cover two defense which he called 90% of the game. The two deep safeties generally play the outside portions of the field and you're often left with a single linebacker alone with a tight end with no help over the top. It's the same reason why running quarterbacks often hurt Shannon's defenses. With everyone playing man besides two safeties 20+ yards off the line of scrimmage, A scrambling quarterback would often be 5-10 yards beyond the line before anybody even noticed he had taken off.

striker is a DB/Hybrid position...you don’t think Bama has their system in Mind when they recruit DBs?
You are obviously missing the point, Bama recruit the best DBs first and since majority of them are dogs they will always bring in guys who can play that DB/hybrid role who can cover the slot, be an asset in the run, and play CB or S effectively if needed, due to injuries. UM does not do that; they do not recruit the best DBs they can get, they recruit safeties with slow feet who teams love to matchup there wide receiver/slot because they know they are not that good at coverage. None of the guys we have at striker can play S or CB at a high level. It is blasphemy that you cant get this through your head.

Advertisement
Finley was one of the best players on defense the last two years.

Striker is not a nickel corner. He needs to play the run like a linebacker. It’s not madden football where you just put little, fast guys out there and they can magically stop the run as good as a linebacker who is much stronger.

You can’t just rotate out your striker for a nickel corner when you feel like it because it’s 2020 and a boatload of teams go no huddle a lot. If the offense doesn’t sub, the defense can’t either. Most teams use 11 personnel with 3 wide as their base and can certainly run the ball very well from it. You need to be versatile enough to be able to stop the run on early downs and play the pass without having to make sub packages.

There’s pretty much two “modern” football defenses. The 4-2-5 which has one hybrid safety linebacker and the 3-3-5 which has two hybrid players, a linebacker/safety “Star” and a linebacker/defensive end “rush”. I find it hilarious that the same people clamoring for a “Star” position are the same people who cry about defensive ends dropping into coverage which is a common part of a 3-3-5 scheme.
What do you mean "madden football", what the **** are LaMarcus joyner or Jalen Ramsey are. That size argument is stupid, not only are those guys smaller than Finley that way more of an impact of the run game becuase they were pure football players, not only that they could cover like a CB. So that argument is stupid. Get the best football players and find a way to get them on the field, that is what the striker/ star position should be used for. With that being said Finley was awesome.

You are obviously missing the point, Bama recruit the best DBs first and since majority of them are dogs they will always bring in guys who can play that DB/hybrid role who can cover the slot, be an asset in the run, and play CB or S effectively if needed, due to injuries. UM does not do that; they do not recruit the best DBs they can get, they recruit safeties with slow feet who teams love to matchup there wide receiver/slot because they know they are not that good at coverage. None of the guys we have at striker can play S or CB at a high level. It is blasphemy that you cant get this through your head.
That’s bull****..you saying we don’t go after the top DBs is the dumbest ****..just because they don’t choose Miami does not mean they weren’t recruited..the fact your comparison is Bama is laughable for so many reasons...once again your stuck on the name striker..everyone agrees we need to sign better personel..that has nothing todo with the actual position and it’s role in the D

Finley was one of the best players on defense the last two years.

Striker is not a nickel corner. He needs to play the run like a linebacker. It’s not madden football where you just put little, fast guys out there and they can magically stop the run as good as a linebacker who is much stronger.

You can’t just rotate out your striker for a nickel corner when you feel like it because it’s 2020 and a boatload of teams go no huddle a lot. If the offense doesn’t sub, the defense can’t either. Most teams use 11 personnel with 3 wide as their base and can certainly run the ball very well from it. You need to be versatile enough to be able to stop the run on early downs and play the pass without having to make sub packages.

There’s pretty much two “modern” football defenses. The 4-2-5 which has one hybrid safety linebacker and the 3-3-5 which has two hybrid players, a linebacker/safety “Star” and a linebacker/defensive end “rush”. I find it hilarious that the same people clamoring for a “Star” position are the same people who cry about defensive ends dropping into coverage which is a common part of a 3-3-5 scheme.
Exactly..he thinks every top DB is cut out too play that role and responsibilities it call for..its nonsense..that’s like saying you need a 4-3 DE but let me recruit the higher rated player who projects as a 3 tech and just stick him at DE lol..makes no sense

Advertisement
Not all the top DBs are cut out to play that specific role

What do you mean "madden football", what the **** are LaMarcus joyner or Jalen Ramsey are. That size argument is stupid, not only are those guys smaller than Finley that way more of an impact of the run game becuase they were pure football players, not only that they could cover like a CB. So that argument is stupid. Get the best football players and find a way to get them on the field, that is what the striker/ star position should be used for. With that being said Finley was awesome.
Here’s the thing, 99.9% of football players aren’t Joyner or Ramsey. That’s like saying teams should just leave their corners on an island for the entire game with no help because Deion Sanders could do it.

That’s bull****..you saying we don’t go after the top DBs is the dumbest ****..just because they don’t choose Miami does not mean they weren’t recruited..the fact your comparison is Bama is laughable for so many reasons...once again your stuck on the name striker..everyone agrees we need to sign better personel..that has nothing todo with the actual position and it’s role in the D
Your missing the ******* point completely. Nobody is asking miami to get all the 5 stars. The prospects we should looking at the striker position should be able to cover the slot, but also be an asset in the run support. I can name so many prospects we have passed up that are not being courted by bag school and instead of getting them UM goes ahead and gets the slow footed safety because he is bigger.

Here’s the thing, 99.9% of football players aren’t Joyner or Ramsey. That’s like saying teams should just leave their corners on an island for the entire game with no help because Deion Sanders could do it.
I understand that, but I'm not on the train that claims that players like Ramsey and Joyner only come with being 5 stars, there are prospects out there, UM needs to find them because they are out there.

Advertisement
Back