Tired of hearing about the striker position....

The striker position is terrible imo bc it does nothing to disrupt what offenses are doing, you line em up against a WR they get beat, and they also do nothing in run support.

I remember FSUs Star position causing all kinds of problems with Lamarcus Joyner and Jalen Ramsey playing the position. One play they’re lined up as safeties roaming the field, the next they’re lined up at the “Star” position getting a sack or laying into the ball carrier with a big hit.

Our Strikers have no impact in run support, no impact in the pass rush, and no impact in pass coverage unless you guess right on a screen to that side of the field.
The difference is those guys can play either safety or cornback position without a dropoff. Our strikers can't do either.

Advertisement
Isn't the FSU star the same type of role as our striker? Versatile guy that covers, blitzes and is strong in run support. I agree with EL on the personnel being the issue, not the role.

Lots of defenses have this role. Always have. The game has changed and you cant line up a nickle on a flexed TE. You can get serious value out of the role if you get the right guy in the role
Yes, UF has the same position as well even though they run a 3-4 base Defense, they have the Star position which is just a Nickel Safety that plays down in the box vs Run, but can also drop back in coverage & cover TE's, WR's RB's out of the backfield etc, in Zone & Man looks. Chauncey Gardener-Johnson was their "Star" position.

Bama has the Star position as well, Shyheim Carter plays Star for them, he was a CB they converted to Safety. Same with Tennessee.

Oh St has a similar position as well being that they play 3 CB's & 1 Safety instead of the traditional 2 Safeties in their 4-3 scheme. Oregon does too.

San Diego St had one of the best Defenses in the nation last year & they run the 3-3-5 & have the "War" position.

Oklahoma & TCU run the 4-2-5 like we do, Oklahoma uses more 3 down lineman sets than us but it's basically the same defense. Muschamp at South Carolina runs the 4-3 but uses their Nickel like a Striker in their scheme.

Lots of teams use it & have a player on their defense that has versatility in their assignments which allows them to stay on the field vs no huddle offenses & can cover multiple spots.

Tired of hearing about guys being recruited to play the striker position. In general, it seems to mean recruiting a DB that has subpar coverage skills or is a step slow. How about we just recruit the best DBs. Lets keep it simple stupid. Recruiting versatility is key, Belichick has proven how valuable versatility can be.
Is van hoy a LB or DE to in NE? Was Jalen Ramsey a FS,CB, or Star at FSU?..was minkah a FS, nickel, or star at Bama??
Point is positions names were given for the simple reason so novist could follow the game and players...I don’t understand what is so hard to understand about the role the striker position plays in this defense..it’s player who can A. Show up in Run support and B. Is athletic enough to be dependable in pass coverage

It’s about matching up with spread teams. It wasn’t built around recruiting misses.

In our case it was kind of both. At least initially. We were trying to match up, while also utilizing guys who didn't exactly fit into roles we initially envisioned for them.

Advertisement
The striker position is terrible imo bc it does nothing to disrupt what offenses are doing, you line em up against a WR they get beat, and they also do nothing in run support.

I remember FSUs Star position causing all kinds of problems with Lamarcus Joyner and Jalen Ramsey playing the position. One play they’re lined up as safeties roaming the field, the next they’re lined up at the “Star” position getting a sack or laying into the ball carrier with a big hit.

Our Strikers have no impact in run support, no impact in the pass rush, and no impact in pass coverage unless you guess right on a screen to that side of the field.
So..your basically saying upgrade the personel playing the position lol..everyone agrees with that..but it doesn’t make the position a problem

Advertisement
Would prefer to convert a current DB to SLB (Carter / Keontra / Frierson) and have them on the field when necessary. Eschewing the use of a nickel CB in its favor is the frustrating part.

What you just described is a personnel issue not a postional or schematic issue.

There's nothing wrong with the Striker position, it's just the players that we have playing the position.

And Rome Finely played well as the Striker in 2018, he was good in that spot, the problem is we haven't developed anybody behind him that can play Striker & elevate from what he did.
is say you need a natural baller to play that position I think a kid like Avantae in certain packages would excel early in that role..in my interpretation the STrk has 2 roles in coverage: The curl to flat in Zone or man
(I did see finely on occasion roll all the way back in a single High position)..in run support they are either setting the edge in certain situations or freed up to make a tackle. Both situations I think Avantae could handle depending on how His football iq improves...ultimately I think Gil fits the spot even better than 30
As for the OP and others I think what they describe is a personnel issue..

Would prefer to convert a current DB to SLB (Carter / Keontra / Frierson) and have them on the field when necessary. Eschewing the use of a nickel CB in its favor is the frustrating part.
Woulda you keep this converted DB on the field vs 11 personel..or 10 or 0..we’ve used Dime packages with a 4th CB a lot

4-2-5 makes a ****load of sense, but our LBs have been too **** slow to properly match up/make reads in pass coverage out of a 4-2-5 set. Hopefully that changes this year. I worry about Ivey in a 5-DB look.

Advertisement
Woulda you keep this converted DB on the field vs 11 personel..or 10 or 0..we’ve used Dime packages with a 4th CB a lot

No but in the event that you get caught with base personnel against a pass-heavy look, at least you'd have a fighting chance with a 210-215lb SLB and not some lumbering traditional OLB like McCloud was in 2017.

Using a striker is a fine tactic when necessary but keeping the striker on the field when the opposing offense subs in 3 or more WR is not what I'd do. But then again I'm not some gimmicky a-hole with a Napoleon complex.

No but in the event that you get caught with base personnel against a pass-heavy look, at least you'd have a fighting chance with a 210-215lb SLB and not some lumbering traditional OLB like McCloud was in 2017.

Using a striker is a fine tactic when necessary but keeping the striker on the field when the opposing offense subs in 3 or more WR is not what I'd do. But then again I'm not some gimmicky a-hole with a Napoleon complex.
I get that in theory..but most teams are using 11 and 10 personel heavily on 1st n 2nd and even 3rd and short to medium because it’s such a big part of their scheme nowadays...so most teams, like. @Liberty City El eluded top combat that by putting their best run support DB on the field for at least 2 down and someone put their best athlete at that spot..it’s not a gimmick..literally every CFB team uses this in some compacity to combat what offenses are doing. I think some are to caught up on the name. When u break down what role the position is used for it makes sense

Advertisement
Actually reed and taylor(rip) were safeties but they were the forefathers of the striker position.just wasn't called that back then.what

Yes, UF has the same position as well even though they run a 3-4 base Defense, they have the Star position which is just a Nickel Safety that plays down in the box vs Run, but can also drop back in coverage & cover TE's, WR's RB's out of the backfield etc, in Zone & Man looks. Chauncey Gardener-Johnson was their "Star" position.

Bama has the Star position as well, Shyheim Carter plays Star for them, he was a CB they converted to Safety. Same with Tennessee.

Oh St has a similar position as well being that they play 3 CB's & 1 Safety instead of the traditional 2 Safeties in their 4-3 scheme. Oregon does too.

San Diego St had one of the best Defenses in the nation last year & they run the 3-3-5 & have the "War" position.

Oklahoma & TCU run the 4-2-5 like we do, Oklahoma uses more 3 down lineman sets than us but it's basically the same defense. Muschamp at South Carolina runs the 4-3 but uses their Nickel like a Striker in their scheme.

Lots of teams use it & have a player on their defense that has versatility in their assignments which allows them to stay on the field vs no huddle offenses & can cover multiple spots.
True. The Giants in the NFL ran a 3-3-5 with a versatile safety (Antrell Rolle) who can hit like a LB, but has great coverage skills. The Chiefs did that a lot, too, with Sorenson.

Advertisement
Back