Timberlake

I didn't say that, you did. The Adidas scan did affect recruiting. By how much, who knows?

This whole discussion started from talking about this past season and has shifted. My postion was and is that the expectations given the injuries to key players have been unreasonable.

Bringing up the past few years may warrant firing Coach L, but this season doesn't.
This isn't the first year we've been decimated by injuries, yet L is too stubborn to recognize this trend and make changes to the S&C staff

Advertisement
This isn't the first year we've been decimated by injuries, yet L is too stubborn to recognize this trend and make changes to the S&C staff
I'm not here to defend the coach. I saw the team decimated by injury in a pandemic year. In my opinion, any coach should have the opportunity to coach another year given those circumstances.

I didn't say that, you did. The Adidas scan did affect recruiting. By how much, who knows?

This whole discussion started from talking about this past season and has shifted. My postion was and is that the expectations given the injuries to key players have been unreasonable.

Bringing up the past few years may warrant firing Coach L, but this season doesn't.

I do agree that under the circumstances of solely the past year, the players and coaches should be given the benefit of the doubt. Problem for Coach L and this staff is that the last 3 years happened and they do exist, and they were a terrible 3 years. To keep things in perspective, do you honestly think there's a college coach in America who would be able to keep their job if they had the same 3 years as Coach L? Aside from Coach K (maybe), I can't think of one coach in the college game who wouldn't be fired. Many coaches would've been fired after year 2, and all would've likely been fired after the 3rd year. This marriage was great early on, but it's soured. No reason to be a masochistic. It's time to move on.

I do agree that under the circumstances of solely the past year, the players and coaches should be given the benefit of the doubt. Problem for Coach L and this staff is that the last 3 years happened and they do exist, and they were a terrible 3 years. To keep things in perspective, do you honestly think there's a college coach in America who would be able to keep their job if they had the same 3 years as Coach L? Aside from Coach K (maybe), I can't think of one coach in the college game who wouldn't be fired. Many coaches would've been fired after year 2, and all would've likely been fired after the 3rd year. This marriage was great early on, but it's soured. No reason to be a masochistic. It's time to move on.
And it's not like next year is looking any better. As of now, it's actually looking worse. That would be FOUR straight dismal seasons.

Advertisement
What was true 3 years ago was true last year. So, if you gave him the 2020-2021 season, you'd have to give him the 2021-2022 season to right the ship.

What was true 3 years ago was true last year. So, if you gave him the 2020-2021 season, you'd have to give him the 2021-2022 season to right the ship.

That's not how it works, particularly in the coaching profession. I think he was given the third year in hopes that there'd be some semblance of improvement but that wasn't the case. If anything, we continue to get worse. 3 years of losing basketball and no signs of improvement on the horizon is certainly a fireable offense. Some will say he should've been fired after the first losing season, but I think most agree after year 2 and 3 there's no way anyone can honestly justify him keeping his job. Luckily for Coach L, it seems the AD and BoT are in the minority here and are going to let him stay another year. It's the cheap and lazy thing to do by our administration, but if history has taught us anything it's to be excepted. Shame of it, is Miami could've made a change this year or last and saved themselves some time. The longer Coach L stays, the deeper the hole he's burying our program. The way it stands now we could be 2-3 years away (at the earliest) from sniffing the post season.

Last edited:
This. I really don't understand why it's so hard for some of these slurpers to admit there are serious problems with this program's current state. Coach L had a ton of success his first 7 years. But that was the past, and this is now. It's like some of these blind homers think L deserves a lifetime contract because he got us an ACC title 8 years ago, so they have an answer and an excuse for everything. 8 years ago is ancient history.
8 years ago I was in 8 grade 😬

Advertisement
You have to be taking the **** and trolling. I refuse to believe you’re actually serious with this comment. I can’t even begin to make sense of what you’re trying to get at.

The way things seem to work at a mainstream or prestigious school really sucks for recruiting and some other matters, although the COVID-fueled Transfer Portal is probably a savior of sorts for UM...

...Ya got an aging "legendary" "declining performance" Coach with a hUge buyout.. Potential recruits, even if they prize his mentorship, can see he might very well be gone once they "buy in and sign". Sooner rather than later perhaps. Same for staff.

Ideally, there should be some sort of Transition: Coach "X" (Konkol, Pittino, I dont know) is signed as a 2-year Phase-in-Next-Coach as part of a planned turnover of the HC reins, that you can sell to a Recruit and keep the School's Commitment to Them... Might get THEIR commitment to Us a little easier.

Maybe too much thinking out of the box, like in Left Field or the Bleachers. Heh.

At this point, it is best to "mutually agree to part ways" with Coach L and his staff.
I don't know if it was his comment about the team "not being good at shooting 3 pt shots or defending 3 pt shots" or the "injuries the past 3 years are bad luck" or "the my way or highway approach" in dealing with Matt Cross but it has become obvious, it is time for a coaching change.
Only a new coach could fix this situation as no one wants to see Coach L on the sidelines at Miami.
It is sad it is ending this way but Coach L is not a quick fix guy.
For starters with the amount of injuries this team has incurred to date their is something very wrong with the strength and conditioning program. Also how does Chris go almost an entire season with an ankle injury, and not get better at all. Too many players breaking down, and taking forever to come back. When you have so many players leaving or on the cusp of leaving, you must assume there is a lack of faith in the direction of the program. Don't know if anything is going to happen, but it seems listening to Joe Z, that coach L got a lot praise for the run he had in the ACC tournament, so who knows.

Advertisement
Lykes opted out after his injury....he just didnt tell anybody. He saw his teammates go out there with 7 scholarship players trying to compete and left them hanging night in and night out. He couldve played this year and had another year at Georgetown next year. He just quit
I thought Coach L mentioned Lykes tried to go in practice, couldn't and the coaching staff shut him down> who knows

No excuses. We suck. Players quitting, players trasnferring, etc..

Timberlake was raw, but he averaged 9 and 5 and only played 7 games.

He and Cross could’ve been a very good duo. Now they will both be at great programs while Miami battles WF and BC for worst team in the league next year or 2.
Louisville is real excited about Cross, they thought he was one of the top freshmen in the country, especially after he put 16 points on them.

Get a grip on reality. The team played the entire season with no more than 7 scholarship players because of injuries.

Fans our so dillusional. Y'all want coach L to turn water in wine and he doesn't even have a full glass of water.
Yup roster management falls on him, strength and conditioning falls under him. He already had a season were his roster was decimated by injuries, to be caught again : See FSU, good grief they got 12 kids that can ball and never seen to have any injuries :

Advertisement
Yup roster management falls on him, strength and conditioning falls under him. He already had a season were his roster was decimated by injuries, to be caught again : See FSU, good grief they got 12 kids that can ball and never seen to have any injuries :
Exactly. The head coach is responsible for everything that happens. This is HIS program. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand and accept.

That's not how it works, particularly in the coaching profession. I think he was given the third year in hopes that there'd be some semblance of improvement but that wasn't the case. If anything, we continue to get worse. 3 years of losing basketball and no signs of improvement on the horizon is certainly a fireable offense. Some will say he should've been fired after the first losing season, but I think most agree after year 2 and 3 there's no way anyone can honestly justify him keeping his job. Luckily for Coach L, it seems the AD and BoT are in the minority here and are going to let him stay another year. It's the cheap and lazy thing to do by our administration, but if history has taught us anything it's to be excepted. Shame of it, is Miami could've made a change this year or last and saved themselves some time. The longer Coach L stays, the deeper the hole he's burying our program. The way it stands now we could be 2-3 years away (at the earliest) from sniffing the post season.
by the way the losses are getting uglier : BC was absolutely brutal to watch ; GT at home was much better

He didn’t have the bodies because he didn’t recruit them. The Adidas thing was YEARS ago now. It can’t be an excuse forever and at this point it isn’t what is preventing us from having any useful bigs in the roster. I ask this without sarcasm - how long do you allow that to be an excuse?

I appreciate what L did for this program, but this is a tall task ahead and one that I don’t think L has in him at this point of his career. Sometimes you just need a new energy and fresh voice, and all evidence says we are there. You don’t put off to tomorrow what must be done today.
When you have a Rodney Miller, who is a good kid, who in my opinion not only kept breaking down but was probably one of the most unathletic kids I ever seen played major minutes for us over the last couple of seasons you knew we had very little upfront. One reason we have a hard time recruiting athletic big man is the guard offense of pick and roll. It seems all our big kids know how to do, is set a pick and roll, if you are a big men nowadays you play as much facing the bucket, as you do with your back to the bucket.

When you have a Rodney Miller, who is a good kid, who in my opinion not only kept breaking down but was probably one of the most unathletic kids I ever seen played major minutes for us over the last couple of seasons you knew we had very little upfront. One reason we have a hard time recruiting athletic big man is the guard offense of pick and roll. It seems all our big kids know how to do, is set a pick and roll, if you are a big men nowadays you play as much facing the bucket, as you do with your back to the bucket.
I understand, but it is the coaches job to find, recruit, and convince kids to come that fit their scheme. If the scheme is the problem, and it isn't like we are winning 20+ games and making runs in the tournament in recent year, then it is the coaches' job to adjust the scheme. If they are incapable of either of those two points, then they need to be replaced.

Advertisement
Back