Timberlake

I understand, but it is the coaches job to find, recruit, and convince kids to come that fit their scheme. If the scheme is the problem, and it isn't like we are winning 20+ games and making runs in the tournament in recent year, then it is the coaches' job to adjust the scheme. If they are incapable of either of those two points, then they need to be replaced.
agree, our offense is brutal to watch, 3 guard front dribble, hand off up front, after 2 or 3 handoffs we call for the pick, and then its pick and roll : if you are not involved in the dribble hand off , your just standing in one spot

Advertisement
agree, our offense is brutal to watch, 3 guard front dribble, hand off up front, after 2 or 3 handoffs we call for the pick, and then its pick and roll : if you are not involved in the dribble hand off , your just standing in one spot
I've touched on this in some other threads, but I think this is one of the main reasons why we can't recruit a high school big to save our lives. They aren't involved in our offense at all. Whenever I hear L talk about frontcourt players, he makes it sound like their sole purpose is to defend and rebound. That's a big part of it, but most big men worth a **** in this era of basketball are also looking to score.

Advertisement
I'm not here to defend the coach. I saw the team decimated by injury in a pandemic year. In my opinion, any coach should have the opportunity to coach another year given those circumstances.
You keep talking about injuries, but how many injuries did we truly have more than what is typically expected in a given year. Higher than normal but not unmanageable. Cross was kicked out for what seems to be a minor offense. Lykes sat out the entire year with a non surgery needing ankle injury. Seems to me he bailed on Coach L because he saw the writing on the wall. Timberlake’s injury seems to me to be more of the same as Lykes now that it seems he was frustrated with the situation and is transferring.

We started the season with 11 scholarship players. We could have very easily gone out and gotten 2 more transfers, but it seems we were very lazy in recruiting the transfer market. It seems to me we were always the 7th or 8th to offer transfers or not even offer high D1 caliber transfers who wind up going to the Wake’s, Nebraska’s, etc. of the world. This is a problem we’ve been seeing for some time now with Coach L not filling out his roster and just plain not recruiting good talent in his backyard because they aren’t his perfect recruit from the northeast.

Wesley Cardet is a guy from our backyard at Northeast who we slow played the entire time or just didn’t want who’s a top 100 recruit. Zaire Wade isn’t a difference maker but is at least a D-1 caliber player with a father with a huge national spotlight, we haven’t even offered him and it seems like we will have a daunting task to even get to the same 11 scholarship players we had this past year. There is a gross mismanagement going on and it has been happening for some time now.

I'm not here to defend the coach. I saw the team decimated by injury in a pandemic year. In my opinion, any coach should have the opportunity to coach another year given those circumstances.
But before that we were decimated by transfers, James Palmer and Manu Lecomte could have made this program a national title contending team had Coach L convinced them to stay.

Since then we’ve had the Adidas investigation. Numerous other programs are going through investigations, court cases involving assistant coaches and even probation and it hasn’t slowed recruiting to the point that it stopped like our program did. Let’s just stop with all the excuses.

Advertisement
But before that we were decimated by transfers, James Palmer and Manu Lecomte could have made this program a national title contending team had Coach L convinced them to stay.

Since then we’ve had the Adidas investigation. Numerous other programs are going through investigations, court cases involving assistant coaches and even probation and it hasn’t slowed recruiting to the point that it stopped like our program did. Let’s just stop with all the excuses.
Exactly. And we were involved in the FBI/Adidas investigation for a reason. I'm sure we weren't completely innocent. I'm tired of the "woe is me" fans coming on here acting like everything that's happened against us has been out of our control.

Wesley Cardet is a guy from our backyard at Northeast who we slow played the entire time or just didn’t want who’s a top 100 recruit. Zaire Wade isn’t a difference maker but is at least a D-1 caliber player with a father with a huge national spotlight, we haven’t even offered him and it seems like we will have a daunting task to even get to the same 11 scholarship players we had this past year. There is a gross mismanagement going on and it has been happening for some time now.

Your post was excellent. There are plenty of kids that I wish we recruited locally. Another kid that frustrates me that we didn't take or recruit...Neftali Alvarez.
  • Starred for Miami Christian School (Miami, Fla.)
  • Led Victors to a pair of 5A-1A state championships
  • Averaged a double-double as a senior (27 points, 11 assists)
  • Named 5A-1A Player of the Year as a senior

I guess we couldn't use another local player, point guard. Started every game he's played in college. If only we had the scholarships...oh wait.

Your post was excellent. There are plenty of kids that I wish we recruited locally. Another kid that frustrates me that we didn't take or recruit...Neftali Alvarez.
  • Starred for Miami Christian School (Miami, Fla.)
  • Led Victors to a pair of 5A-1A state championships
  • Averaged a double-double as a senior (27 points, 11 assists)
  • Named 5A-1A Player of the Year as a senior

I guess we couldn't use another local player, point guard. Started every game he's played in college. If only we had the scholarships...oh wait.

The amount of local and in-state kids we've neglected to recruit and pursue is pure negligence. And not just in the past, it's only getting worse because the 2022 and 2023 classes are loaded locally and in many cases we aren't even in the mix. Or if we do offer, it's usually much later in the process after a bunch of other schools have already established relationships with said recruit.

But the resident blind homers of Coach L on this board will continue to blame injuries, the FBI, and whatever other recycled excuse they can muster up.

You keep talking about injuries, but how many injuries did we truly have more than what is typically expected in a given year. Higher than normal but not unmanageable. Cross was kicked out for what seems to be a minor offense. Lykes sat out the entire year with a non surgery needing ankle injury. Seems to me he bailed on Coach L because he saw the writing on the wall. Timberlake’s injury seems to me to be more of the same as Lykes now that it seems he was frustrated with the situation and is transferring.
Wonder what would have made Timberlake happy? Looked to me like he sorta got the minutes he deserved. Maybe more than he merited with his uneven play. If he wanted more floor time or to be the focus of the offense, he needed to show a much better outside shot and reduced the number of turnovers he was regularly committing.

Even with 4 star recruits (or was Timberlake a 5 star, I lose track?), I'm always leery when I hear a player being described as a scorer, not a shooter. I'll always opt for a pure shooter over a "freak athlete" or "slasher" who can't shoot worth a ****. Putting the ball in the basket (preferably for 3 points) is the name of the game.

The more dead-eye shooters you have the better. Today, I want at least three on the court at any time. This year, we often had none. Cross might've been that guy but was too often not in our top three offensive options. There was one maddening game (if my memory serves) where he was 3-3 on three pointers. Maddening because he only had three attempts!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wonder what would have made Timberlake happy? Looked to me like he sorta got the minutes he deserved. Maybe more than he merited with his uneven play. If he wanted more floor time or to be the focus of the offense, he needed to show a much better outside shot and reduced the number of turnovers he was regularly committing.

Even with 4 star recruits (or was Timberlake a 5 star, I lose track?), I'm always leery when I hear a player being described as a scorer, not a shooter. I'll always opt for a pure shooter over a "freak athlete" or "slasher" who can't shoot worth a ****. Putting the ball in the basket (preferably for 3 points) is the name of the game.

The more dead-eye shooters you have the better. Today, I want at least three on the court at any time. This year, we often had none. Cross might've been that guy but was too often not in out top three offensive options. There was one maddening game (if my memory serves) where he was 3-3 on three pointers. Maddening because he only had three attempts!
All this further backs my point. Timberlake is a great athlete and a high level defender you surround a guy like that with shooters because he can mask their deficiencies with his strengths and vice versa. I agree that thinking he was going to be the savior lottery pick coming in was blown out of proportion because he wasn’t a well rounded scorer much like Lonnie Walker in many ways.

Great point on Cross, another damning argument against Coach L. Not to mention our style of offense is a thing of the past and is very hard to recruit big men today.

All this further backs my point. Timberlake is a great athlete and a high level defender you surround a guy like that with shooters because he can mask their deficiencies with his strengths and vice versa. I agree that thinking he was going to be the savior lottery pick coming in was blown out of proportion because he wasn’t a well rounded scorer much like Lonnie Walker in many ways.

Great point on Cross, another damning argument against Coach L. Not to mention our style of offense is a thing of the past and is very hard to recruit big men today.
Maybe L will be forced to change our style of offense now that Adam Fisher is gone. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

The amount of local and in-state kids we've neglected to recruit and pursue is pure negligence. And not just in the past, it's only getting worse because the 2022 and 2023 classes are loaded locally and in many cases we aren't even in the mix. Or if we do offer, it's usually much later in the process after a bunch of other schools have already established relationships with said recruit.

But the resident blind homers of Coach L on this board will continue to blame injuries, the FBI, and whatever other recycled excuse they can muster up.

They're still talking about Nevin and the "cloud".

Advertisement
Maybe L will be forced to change our style of offense now that Adam Fisher is gone. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Our style of offense seems to have been mostly "no offense" (well, pedestrian, monotonous, and bland at best...

...unless one is a prolific 3-point shooter, how can these guys like Cross and Timberlake even grow or enjoy the routine; and while defense is a hUge part of the game, these "talented" players don't prefer defense over offense any more than Bobby Bonds liked fielding over hitting.

Probably a reason the best Bigs don't want to commit here as well: Coach Fisher's (Coach L's?) Offense was the Pick of the Litter (literally!!)

I've touched on this in some other threads, but I think this is one of the main reasons why we can't recruit a high school big to save our lives. They aren't involved in our offense at all. Whenever I hear L talk about frontcourt players, he makes it sound like their sole purpose is to defend and rebound. That's a big part of it, but most big men worth a **** in this era of basketball are also looking to score.
agree " big man all see themselves like Kevin Durant " Stretch 4 or 5 : look at the European big men, they can dribble shoot from the outside, and post up when they have to :

I wonder when we will get news of what the seniors are doing. Our season ended a week ago and nothing so far.

I think final decisions from the players are expected sometime within next few weeks. Coach L stated that he'd had some conversation with the seniors earlier in the year, but that he would wait a week or two after the season ended to revisit things and would hope to get firm decisions from the players sometime in April.

Advertisement
Back