Tim Burns????

My two cents that ain't worth a penny -

I still think Diaz is replacing Rumph at the end of the season. I'm guessing Rumph knows it and recruits likely know it too. My hope is that that new guy brings a couple recruits along.

On the bright side, that frees up another scholly so now we have room to add

1. T2
2. Maason Smith
3. Marshall
4. Jake Garcia
5. Jesus Christ (assuming he gets his grades up)

Advertisement
If we’re banking on size being the deciding factor for who we target for our Cbs, and not footwork or technical prowess than all we’re doing is setting ourselves up with more DJ Ivey and Al blade 6’0-6’1 CBs who can’t locate the ball for sh** in the future.

Who suggested the staff doesn't care about footwork/technical prowess?

And Blades is by far our best corner and the best we've had in a pretty long time. He's had one of the lowest opposing QB ratings in the entire country over the past 2 years.

I mean holy **** some people have lost their minds. Blades was just named on the mid-season 1st team all-ACC by ESPN. It's sad that 90% of our players/recruits get trashed, EXCEPT when they decommit/transfer. Then suddenly they're better than most NFL pro-bowlers or something

Burns had better be a 1st round pick and All-American the way he's getting talked up now.

And Blades is by far our best corner and the best we've had in a pretty long time. He's had one of the lowest opposing QB ratings in the entire country over the past 2 years.

I mean holy **** some people have lost their minds. Blades was just named on the mid-season 1st team all-ACC by ESPN. It's sad that 90% of our players/recruits get trashed, EXCEPT when they decommit/transfer. Then suddenly they're better than most NFL pro-bowlers or something

Burns had better be a 1st round pick and All-American the way he's getting talked up now.
He won't be but it's Rumph losing another recruit so there will be multiple threads about this

He won't be but it's Rumph losing another recruit so there will be multiple threads about this

Do you think fans of other schools consider dropping a kid to = losing him lol?

I mean the kid's own mom says we dropped him, and half the board still thinks Rumph just whiffed or something.

Maybe we should have kept him, idk, but every school in the country drops kids. It's odd to see Rumph get blamed for this one

Do you think fans of other schools consider dropping a kid to = losing him lol?

I mean the kid's own mom says we dropped him, and half the board still thinks Rumph just whiffed or something.

Maybe we should have kept him, idk, but every school in the country drops kids. It's odd to see Rumph get blamed for this one
Whether we dropped him or not doesn't change the fact we have zero CBs committed a month from early signing day.

Advertisement
Funny you say that because the guys that likely know EXACTLY what's going on....haven't commented AT ALL....that IMO tells me that there's more to this than it seems. I'm on-board with poster that said it's likely grades. Perfect example is if a kid playing Safety has questionable grades but we're loaded depth wise we can take that chance, if he redshirts to get his grades on par that's fine, we can afford him to sit. If Burns had grade issues w/CB being our GREATEST need for depth by far, idk if you can afford to take him and have him sit out a year when we have no clue what Ivey/Blades gonna do. Sucks bad for multiple reasons, SoFla gem, Pipeline School, Position of Need.....but we cannot afford to take a CB recruit who might have to sit out the 2021 season for grades. Again idk if that's the case but if it is grades the coaches made the right decision, albeit a tough one.
This is the most likely scenario and very similar to what happened to Hammett.

Whether we dropped him or not doesn't change the fact we have zero CBs committed a month from early signing day.

Ok. And we screwed at QB for 2020 this time last year. Look how that turned out.

Yes, if we add 0 CBs then its a problem.

melt away though. I love looking back on these types of threads

i don't buy this about blades -- i think michael jackson was better for one. he was playing w/ a better front 7 tho. artie burns was a first round pick and would have looked better playing for richt's program. i would prob take bandy too at the end of the day. corn elder was better, malek young before he got hurt. these are all pretty good college players, nobody great, i would prob put blades in roughly that group but towards the bottom.

i do agree tho that ppl are far too dramatic about the CB play. DJ ivey gave up a touchdown vs NC st with poor technique, he also basically wasn't thrown at for 2 games before that and actually was fine against clemson, made a play or two on balls down the field. his mistakes get magnified and pored over endlessly, when he puts up good games nobody talks about it.

clearly the recruiting problem is real, the depth behind those two guys is alarming. no way around that. but that's a separate issue from how well blades & ivey are playing, which is usually "pretty good."

i don't buy this about blades -- i think michael jackson was better for one. he was playing w/ a better front 7 tho. artie burns was a first round pick and would have looked better playing for richt's program. i would prob take bandy too at the end of the day. corn elder was better, malek young before he got hurt. these are all pretty good college players, nobody great, i would prob put blades in roughly that group but towards the bottom.

i do agree tho that ppl are far too dramatic about the CB play. DJ ivey gave up a touchdown vs NC st with poor technique, he also basically wasn't thrown at for 2 games before that and actually was fine against clemson, made a play or two on balls down the field. his mistakes get magnified and pored over endlessly, when he puts up good games nobody talks about it.

clearly the recruiting problem is real, the depth behind those two guys is alarming. no way around that. but that's a separate issue from how well blades & ivey are playing, which is usually "pretty good."

I'd take Artie Burns over him in terms of raw talent. Blades is easily the 2nd best NFL prospect of those guys and was a lot better than Bandy last year.

And Couch is better than Ivey right now. Clarke and Dunson look like they'll be solid.

The issue is numbers and finding that Jason Marshall type of 1st rd talent. We always have had good CB play under Rumph. Just not elite CB play or great depth

Advertisement
I hope this is because we got someone better? How did we lose him?
I saw this coming after a few tweets that he tweeted out the other day , it seems like Miami didn’t want him any more and stopped contacting him or probably told him straight up to start looking at other schools , either way it seem like he was hurt hopefully this isn’t a mistake , we can’t be losing guys who really want to be canes , I know he just wanted to follow his cousin Artie footsteps.
I hope this is because we got someone better? How did we lose him?

Ok. And we screwed at QB for 2020 this time last year. Look how that turned out.

Yes, if we add 0 CBs then its a problem.

melt away though. I love looking back on these types of threads
Thank you. There is literally no reason to panic right now. Let it play out first so you don’t end up with terrible takes aging poorly.

Advertisement
CORCH Manolo Díaz, ladies & gentlemen!
Miami Hurricanes Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN

If true that he’s going to Pitt, this new Miami, we bring in some kid at atl, burns balls at Pitt and other kid flames out here lolol. Bring in both!!! I thought brown from IMG was the other cd ans we were taking two.

Advertisement
I can officially say that our defensive staff just doesn’t like guys that can actually cover dudes 1 on 1 in game situations. They strictly only want the awkward hybrid safety types. Whoever is making these calls needs to go. I don’t know if it’s Rumph, Banda, baker, or diaz. But I do know it’s time to move on after the season/signing day.

This is as embarassing as taggert not signing a qb for 2 years

Coaches are here today gone tomorrow, recruits are making the biggest decisions of their lives. Much different conversation.
I disagree it's free agency and free for all. These recruits ain't loyal for ****. I'm done sugar coating because they are 18 or 19 even 20. We just gotta find other stars and hit the portal no big deal. Keep trying to win and you can land bigger fish who maybe disgruntled

Advertisement
Back