This reminds me of Coker in 2006

I compare it to wrestling. You can send an athletic kid with bad fundamentals to a school full of great wrestlers and that kid will turn into a champion pretty quick. The best wrestlers are not necessarily the most athletic or the strongest but they are well coached and fundamentally sound. You don't see the south Florida guys that play for Alabama or Clemson make the same mistakes our guys do.

Amen. You watch guys perfect their craft at other schools and they usually show something early in. Like Amari cooper or Juedy for example. They got better every year. That’s coaching. They are coached up hard

It’s always about coaching. We haven’t had good position coaches since butch.

When Ricky’s staff was announced I knew we wouldn’t go anywhere. You can’t have green coaches at critical spots. You can have maybe 1 green coach, but not as many as we had.

For Christ sake look our staff and compare it to any top 25 team. We have one of the worse staff in power 5 based on experience alone.

Advertisement
Plenty of AD's in America would fire him. Just not ours.

You must think Miami is similar to the programs in the coaches like Texas A&M with a botload of money. Wake up and realize it’s not possible to fire him after his extension, you gotta pay the buyout, bring someone in who will have a complete staff turnover. Just not feasible right now how do you guys not understand that

Its coaching but at the high school and college level. Obviously, Miami cannot fix high school coaching but we need to hire such high quality of coaches that they make up for the poor coaching the players received in high school.

Take wrestling as an example. If you had a

It's amazing how these "unintelligent" and "undisciplined" South Florida teams go up to Georgia and beat their powerhouses. The FL/GA showcase last year was a bloodbath.

Maybe your Georgia coaches are overpaid.

Im from Iowa and will take Iowa wrestlers at any age versus Florida wrestlers. I will admi there are exceptions though.

At what age do they start
It's amazing how these "unintelligent" and "undisciplined" South Florida teams go up to Georgia and beat their powerhouses. The FL/GA showcase last year was a bloodbath.

Maybe your Georgia coaches are overpaid.

Milton seemed to have no issue blowing out Cardinal Gibbons. Not sure what the FL/GA Showcase is.

How is Miami more attractive now than in 2006? At this point, we’ve been out of the national spotlight for a long time. We’re actually a much less attractive job than in 06.

And honestly we’re even further behind in the facilities war than we were in 06. Everybody else has improved facilities even more than we have.

Advertisement
Look at schedules neither Colquitt County, Grayson, Marietta, Archer, Hillgrove, Cedar Grove, Cartersville, Blessed Trinity or Rome played teams from Florida. Milton blew out Cardinal Gibbons (both state champs). Deerfield Beach did beat two playoff teams from Georgia but those playoff teams (Buford, Westlake) had down years and lost early in the playoffs. Buford fired their coach. So not sure what games you are referring to from this past season.

There was lot more to the Mcelwain firing , The players hated him . His recruiting was terrible and the whole lying incident. There was something wrong mentally with him

Plus McElwain’s offense was so bad. It was even worse than Richt’s offense at Miami has been. The only reason why McElwain even made it to year 3 is because his defenses were even better than Richt’s have been.

And, honestly, having a bad offense but good defense will often give you less years than having a good offense but bad defense.

Advertisement
So not sure what games you are referring to from this past season.

I'm referring to Deerfield Beach, a school that fits exactly into your stereotype, going up and beating big name teams. Deerfield didn't win states down here either.

Chick-Fil-A sponsored four games where Florida teams went up to Georgia to play big name teams like Cedar Grove and Stephenson. It was a 3-1 beating.

https://www.fhsaa.org/news/2015/0828

That was 2015 and none of those schools were powers then. Cedar Grove was the only team that made the semi's in state that year. Stephenson lost in the first round of the playoffs that year, they were way overrated.

Putting aside for a moment the fact that Richt took this job because he missed calling plays, hiring an OC would require Richt to fire someone since he wasted the last coaching position on a striker coach. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Honestly I find the fact that he made his 25 year old son the QB coach far worse than the fact that he hired a striker coach.

How is Miami more attractive now than in 2006? At this point, we’ve been out of the national spotlight for a long time. We’re actually a much less attractive job than in 06.

And honestly we’re even further behind in the facilities war than we were in 06. Everybody else has improved facilities even more than we have.
Miami’s job is not attractive. That is a real issue. It’s drama, lack of institutional support and unrealistic expectations. And the roster is thin, especially on the LOS, so you can't just win with the fomer guy’s talent.

Advertisement
That was 2015 and none of those schools were powers then. Cedar Grove was the only team that made the semi's in state that year. Stephenson lost in the first round of the playoffs that year, they were way overrated.

None of our teams were state champs, either. Coconut Creek didn't even make the playoffs.

I'm struggling to understand your logic. South Florida players are better in high school and better at the upper levels, but they are less prepared to play?

Look at Richt's salary and compare it to Shannon's salary. Our facilities are better and our home field advantage is better. We were in the national spotlight immediately when we went on a run.

I'm referring to Deerfield Beach, a school that fits exactly into your stereotype, going up and beating big name teams. Deerfield didn't win states down here either.

Deerfield Beach didn't play top 20 teams in the state. In 2016 they did play a really good Grayson team and were blown out, though it looks like Deerfield wasn't that good in 2016.

Advertisement
The reality is you can't fire Richt after three years. No AD in America would do that. I think there's enough pressure on him that he will hire an OC. But the question is: will he be bold, or will he make a "safe" choice that really changes nothing? History would suggest the latter.

That's the thing, you HAVE to fire him after three years. The honeymoon period is over, we've been embarrassed on a national stage three times in less than a year. Recruits are leaving in droves.

He's done. Everyone can see that - it needs the people in power to buy their way out of this mistake.

Miami’s job is not attractive. That is a real issue. It’s drama, lack of institutional support and unrealistic expectations. And the roster is thin, especially on the LOS, so you can't just win with the fomer guy’s talent.

Usually, the talent isn’t that good if a coach is being fired. That’s nothing out of the ordinary.

I am a bit skeptical of Miami’s ability to rebuild after a long down period. For all people like to talk about USC before Carroll or Alabama before Saban, those are programs with a lot more football tradition than Miami.

None of our teams were state champs, either. Coconut Creek didn't even make the playoffs.

I'm struggling to understand your logic. South Florida players are better in high school and better at the upper levels, but they are less prepared to play?
There is nothing wrong with so fla kids. Andrew was leaning in on our lack of coaching and S&C deficiencies by arguing our local kids need teaching and S&C more than local kids in some other areas. Maybe, maybe not. Doesn’t really matter. Every other major program out there is fishing for kids in our back yard. Our local WRs do just fine at Alabama, and early in their careers. It’s not a RB issue. Our DBs do fine. LB and DL and OL are positions that take some development. The bigger issue for us is we’ve underrecruited and undercoached the posititions for ages, and have lost so many guys early that we almost never have proper depth and maturity at these spots. You cannot win in CFB with that. Without Willis back for a 5th year, this year could have been a true disaster.

Dude you are a homer. If you want to believe that a coach making 3k per year and a staff of volunteers develops players better than an HC, OC, and DC that make $350k then I won't change your mind.

Advertisement
Back