This reminds me of Coker in 2006

Wouldn't hiring the type of HC you describe put us right back in the same situation after a few years when said coach bolts for the NFL? If said HC is successful, it could make the U HC job more attractive. But what are the chances of finding another? Temple comes to mind. Gary Patterson has been fairly successful and has been at the same place for 18 years.

The "standard" seems to be stability with a proven HC that only has aspirations to win NC's at the college level; ie Sabag and Dablo. Although Sabag tried his hand in the NFL and was arguably a bust.
The standard isn’t stability. The specter of stability is what has killed us. If you hire a bright innovative guy who bolts to the NFL then you did the right thing.

Take Sabag out of the equation. He bolted from two good college jobs for other jobs. Then Alabaga was the perfect storm for him with unlimited bags and resources and support staff. That’s an NFL organization that we will NEVER be, so we need to get that idea out of our minds.

Lincoln Riley should be our model. That’s what we need to find.

Advertisement
The standard isn’t stability. The specter of stability is what has killed us. If you hire a bright innovative guy who bolts to the NFL then you did the right thing.

Take Sabag out of the equation. He bolted from two good college jobs for other jobs. Then Alabaga was the perfect storm for him with unlimited bags and resources and support staff. That’s an NFL organization that we will NEVER be, so we need to get that idea out of our minds.

Lincoln Riley should be our model. That’s what we need to find.
Point taken. Especially about Sabag falling into the perfect storm.

Can't argue with the Lincoln Riley model. My concern is that we do hire the bright, innovative guy, he turns things around, and bolts for a "bigger" opportunity. Then the cycle starts all over again - ie Schnelly to JJ to DE to Butch.

Point taken. Especially about Sabag falling into the perfect storm.

Can't argue with the Lincoln Riley model. My concern is that we do hire the bright, innovative guy, he turns things around, and bolts for a "bigger" opportunity. Then the cycle starts all over again - ie Schnelly to JJ to DE to Butch.
You need to have a good AD for my model to work. There is never a shortage of innovative offensive coaches. Keep hiring them and pairing them with an aggressive downhill DC. Keep a tight grip on staff decisions.

You need to have a good AD for my model to work. There is never a shortage of innovative offensive coaches. Keep hiring them and pairing them with an aggressive downhill DC. Keep a tight grip on staff decisions.

+100000000 on the underline.
This has been a problem with our AD, who is too hands-off in that dept.
We need a "football" person in that AD that can keep an eye on this and, for the love of all that is pure, no
nepotism allowed.

+100000000 on the underline.
This has been a problem with our AD, who is too hands-off in that dept.
We need a "football" person in that AD that can keep an eye on this and, for the love of all that is pure, no
nepotism allowed.
Need a football guy at AD. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a former player or anything like that, as they’ve been wrong way more often than not. It needs to be a guy who lives and breathes it and is constantly monitoring assistants and prospective coaches. Need to be clear with the innovative OC you hire as HC that it won’t be HIS program. Run it like a good GM, and make it clear if he wants the job he’ll need certain philosophies on defense that are not negotiable.

Advertisement
Need a football guy at AD. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a former player or anything like that, as they’ve been wrong way more often than not. It needs to be a guy who lives and breathes it and is constantly monitoring assistants and prospective coaches. Need to be clear with the innovative OC you hire as HC that it won’t be HIS program. Run it like a good GM, and make it clear if he wants the job he’ll need certain philosophies on defense that are not negotiable.

No argument there.
Where is Blake from, Maine?
LOL.
I don't want former player/coach either as they usually have their own agenda....too close to certain coaching trees that may
not work well for us.
Having said this, the AD needs to have support from up-top, from the folks who control the purse-strings.

So you’re saying Blake is the right tranny ***** for the job?

I remember a quote from Jeremy Foley that he always had a list of 5 prospective coaches in his desk, planning as if his coach was leaving tomorrow. I doubt Blake James is able to count to 5.

One point on the south Florida vs Georgia debate. You can find a million and one skill position players in Florida that could be good enough to take us to an ACC title. Georgia may not have quite as many, but it runs laps around Florida in quarterbacks, offensive linemen, and defensive tackles.

While we had the OL from 2013’s team and have a few guys that were highly recruited on the team now, these have been our biggest problems going back to the mid-2000s. I have no idea how we fix that, though coaching and development has done it no favors.

As you’ve mentioned, we’ve got issues on multiple fronts.

Advertisement
No argument there.
Where is Blake from, Maine?
LOL.
I don't want former player/coach either as they usually have their own agenda....too close to certain coaching trees that may
not work well for us.
Having said this, the AD needs to have support from up-top, from the folks who control the purse-strings.
Truth be told, the organization is a joke. You have a bunch of conservative business people making the decisions. The AD is a total puppet.

I know one of the main BOT members. Extremely accomplished woman, but I’d bet my balls she doesn’t know who the hot rising innovative football coaches are. Unfortunately, given our puppet AD system, she’s one of the main decision makers.

It’s just a junk setup, and my opinion at this point is that we will have to flat stumble luckily into a great hire if we ever make one. When you listen to our former players who still hold sway here, all they want to talk about is 70 year old Booch Davis and guys like Marc Trestman.

I think our days as a national program are toast. Way too many things would have to change.

Truth be told, the organization is a joke. You have a bunch of conservative business people making the decisions. The AD is a total puppet.

I know one of the main BOT members. Extremely accomplished woman, but I’d bet my balls she doesn’t know who the hot rising innovative football coaches are. Unfortunately, given our puppet AD system, she’s one of the main decision makers.

It’s just a junk setup, and my opinion at this point is that we will have to flat stumble luckily into a great hire if we ever make one. When you listen to our former players who still hold sway here, all they want to talk about is 70 year old Booch Davis and guys like Marc Trestman.

I think our days as a national program are toast. Way too many things would have to change.

Unfortunately, we are not an SEC-type of school where you have football-crazy redneck BOT members who are all about having a national
powerhouse football program.
It is what it is.

So you’re saying Blake isn’t the guy? Drats.

As you’ve mentioned, we’ve got issues on multiple fronts.
Honestly, too many to overcome.

I used to be a guy who said the same stuff D$ Is saying now. I used to think we’re a HC away like USC before Carroll or Baga before Sabag.

But the futility is too deeply entrenched, and I don’t think the people making the decisions have a clue when it comes to selecting coaches and they don’t really care enough. They got their ACC money faucet. What’s the incentive to spend what it takes and take the risks it takes to be great?

Just sit back and ride Clemson’s coattails. Let them be our bottom bytch walking their heels off all night while we figuratively slap them around and take their money.

Advertisement
Honestly, too many to overcome.

I used to be a guy who said the same stuff D$ Is saying now. I used to think we’re a HC away like USC before Carroll or Baga before Sabag.

But the futility is too deeply entrenched, and I don’t think the people making the decisions have a clue when it comes to selecting coaches and they don’t really care enough. They got their ACC money faucet. What’s the incentive to spend what it takes and take the risks it takes to be great?

Just sit back and ride Clemson’s coattails. Let them be our bottom bytch walking their heels off all night while we figuratively slap them around and take their money.
It’s truly a sad state of affairs. Reminds me a lot of the late 60’s and early 70’s when we were totally irrelevant. The difference being how relevant we had become and now to the present day fiasco.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, we are not an SEC-type of school where you have football-crazy redneck BOT members who are all about having a national
It is what it is.
It is what it is.
Truer words were never spoken. I’ve lived 120 miles NE of UTK for over 30 years and they live and breathe football. It’s all they’ve got.

Performance is always a mixture of both talent and coaching. I used Iowa as an example because they have some of the best wrestling in the country. My point was kids in SFLA are likely more athletic and aggressive than Iowa kids but good coaching is what makes the Iowa kid a better college wrestler and that coaching starts long before college. Wrestling is probably more technical than football but the same principles apply to create a football player. Good coaches in college go where the money is, there is no reason to think that same thing doesn't happen in high school.

High school football has changed a lot in the last 30 years, which is why you see freshman contributing more. The biggest reason is better coaching in both high school and college.

I dont get the whole poor hs coaching thing either. I'm a bit lost on that..especially considering our poorly coached kids can walk backwards into Bama and Ga and just take starting spots and lockers from these well coached out of state 5 star kids. Or we have blip on the radar kids ddown here like Marquise Brown tell guys to hold his beer.

We just simply havent coached our kids to their strengths in forever. Only one who did was...El Jefe..who wht do you know was instanmtly offered a HC job elsewhere.

S.Fla hs ball sh*ts on any state...ANY year...its a fact. In a down year im betting big bucks on them on Power house programs from out of state

At what age do they start

Milton seemed to have no issue blowing out Cardinal Gibbons. Not sure what the FL/GA Showcase is.

Cardinal Gibbons isnt a power house program at all. But all the fl schools basically went up to Ga and raped and pillaged.

I remember a quote from Jeremy Foley that he always had a list of 5 prospective coaches in his desk, planning as if his coach was leaving tomorrow. I doubt Blake James is able to count to 5.

One point on the south Florida vs Georgia debate. You can find a million and one skill position players in Florida that could be good enough to take us to an ACC title. Georgia may not have quite as many, but it runs laps around Florida in quarterbacks, offensive linemen, and defensive tackles.

While we had the OL from 2013’s team and have a few guys that were highly recruited on the team now, these have been our biggest problems going back to the mid-2000s. I have no idea how we fix that, though coaching and development has done it no favors.

I dont believe this to be completely true.

The state of Fla has caught up. With the 7 on 7 game etc....there will be a new influx of qbs at an even higher level coming from us, especially with the spread offenses taking off. I mean a kid from Pompano beat out a big time qb recruit from ga for the heisman very very recently.

Advertisement
Back