This is why Parrish and Franklin have a great opportunity

Line Yards - essentially rushing yards attributed to the success of the OL

Opportunity Rate - The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.

Power Success Rate - percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown.

Stuff Rate - percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage.

Miami 2021 rankings (# represents UM finishing position out of 130 teams):

Line Yards - 96
Opp. Rate - 117
Power Success Rate - 110
Stuff Rate - 109

2021 Miami had an OL problem, not a RB problem

The offensive line was bad. I don't think anyone is going to argue that. The production did take a turn for the worse after Harris got hurt though. Even if you don't count the Central Connecticut game, Miami was a much better rushing team with Harris than with Knighton as the main back. There was a thread here not too long ago discussing the drop-off. The main problem was that with such a poor run blocking line, Harris was able to take better advantage of the occasional hole they would open up whereas Knighton too often looked for contact. I don't remember who it was that had the video evidence and/or numbers but it might have been @DMoney. With a poor run blocking line, you need to get as many chunk plays as possible when the opportunity arises but Knighton would too often run himself right into a defender after 5 yards.

I think with a renewed focus on run blocking and a stable of healthy backs, Miami should be able to get back to being a solid, if not great running team this year. With a bit more consistency, it wouldn't be unimaginable to see them crack the 160-170 yards per game mark. That would take a lot of the pressure off the passing game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Statistically that's when the rushing offense went into the toilet.

First 6 games of 2021 (with Harris) 160.3 ypg rushing
Last 6 games of 2021 (no Harris) 97.1 ypg rushing
Which had very little to do with him. The first thing is, Central Connecticut State is the outlier. We had 322 yards rushing against them. We had 175 yards rushing against App State.

Against actual FBS schools, we averaged 116.25 yards per game, he averaged 54.5.
Against the last 6 FBS opponents, we averaged 97.1.

If you want to think that he made some huge difference, then so be it, but I'd like to think that Knighton is simply not an inside runner that was used as an inside runner. Either way, we are literally talking about 19 yards a game difference.

Statistically that's when the rushing offense went into the toilet.

First 6 games of 2021 (with Harris) 160.3 ypg rushing
Last 6 games of 2021 (no Harris) 97.1 ypg rushing
I also think our level of competition heightened during the back half of the season.

I have nothing but praise for Cam, he's a Cane for life in my book.

At the same time I can't say that I agree with the notion that our rushing attack would've been any better the last 6 games of the season had he been available. From a depth standpoint, yes, but from the standpoint of he/his talent being the primary reason our numbers were sustained....I would have to disagree

Which had very little to do with him. The first thing is, Central Connecticut State is the outlier. We had 322 yards rushing against them. We had 175 yards rushing against App State.

Against actual FBS schools, we averaged 116.25 yards per game, he averaged 54.5.
Against the last 6 FBS opponents, we averaged 97.1.

If you want to think that he made some huge difference, then so be it, but I'd like to think that Knighton is simply not an inside runner that was used as an inside runner. Either way, we are literally talking about 19 yards a game difference.
OK, now get rid of Georgia Tech and Duke games during the second half of the season (two teams that are worse than App State) and the average drops to 67.2 yards per game. We weren't exactly playing a murderer's row of tough defenses the second half of the year.

Any way you cut it, the rushing offense got significantly worse when we had to rely on Knighton to be the every down back.

Advertisement
I also think our level of competition heightened during the back half of the season.

I have nothing but praise for Cam, he's a Cane for life in my book.

At the same time I can't say that I agree with the notion that our rushing attack would've been any better the last 6 games of the season had he been available. From a depth standpoint, yes, but from the standpoint of he/his talent being the primary reason our numbers were sustained....I would have to disagree
We played Alabama and Michigan State in the first half of the year. App State was also a better team than Duke and Georgia Tech and probably Florida State. Central Connecticuit was a throw away game but Bama, App State, MIchigan State, UVA and UNC isn't a joke schedule by any means.

That really spells out in black and white what we could all see happening last year.

That statistic represents an offense that was over-reliant on heroic QB play as they were constantly forced to throw themselves out of bad down-and-distance holes.

I think there is a very real possibility that TVD has a worse year statistically while the offense becomes more successful overall. And that will be a good thing. I would much rather see our downfield shots taken on short yardage situations rather than desperation attempts on third and long.
Surely that is the most likely scenario.

If people think he is going to throw 4 500 yards and 35 TD’s, that’s just not going to happen with this offence

Advertisement
Love Citizen’s game and think he is a future NFL back, but if he comes in here at 18 years old and is the top back at any point this year then wtf lol.
Wouldn’t be as surprising as you think. Henderson at OSU is an example of a freshman becoming the lead back at a premier university. With that said, I agree with you. We need Chaney to step up.

Wouldn’t be as surprising as you think. Henderson at OSU is an example of a freshman becoming the lead back at a premier university. With that said, I agree with you. We need Chaney to step up.

I more so was alluding to him passing up our guys who have shown that they are more than capable of being THE guy on this level.

How is that a red flag for 2022? We haven't played a down for 2022 yet. It's something to keep an eye on for sure though.

Definitely an issue in 2021 for sure. I think we will improve massively in comparison to 2021 with a healthy Chaney, Mario and Mirabel coaching the Oline, and Gattis being able to call more than one running play. I think we may end up in the 50-30 range for FBS teams. Maybe even in the top 3rd if we are as run-heavy as people claim Mario and Gattis to be.

Ideally, we would have a lethal passing attack with the ability to run the ball solidly. Recruits want a high-powered passing offense and we have the gunslingers to run it.

Advertisement
Have they, though? See OP.

It’s up for debate and can be argued for sure, but count me in the camp that believes our OL/run blocking was the much bigger issue than our backs individually.

Obviously health & availability is the elephant in the room for #2, but I’m still his biggest fan and believe he is one of the best players on this team if he can just stay out of the training room. Knighton may not be THE guy at RB either especially for a Mario/Gattis led offense but still a very talented back nonetheless that has had success and will have a lot to say about Citizen taking snaps from him come fall. Good problem to have overall and at the end of the day it’s a catch 22 because if he were to pass him up, we are looking at a bonafide superstar in the making.

Advertisement
We got nice talent at RB but this is why statements such as 'name 5 RB rooms better than ours' is laughable and we as fans continually over rate our team's talent.

Oh, I think we're there on the talent of the running backs. If not top 5, top 10.

The issue at hand, same as last year, is how will the OL block. Our OL had a breakdown literally every play more or less.

Oh, I think we're there on the talent of the running backs. If not top 5, top 10.

The issue at hand, same as last year, is how will the OL block. Our OL had a breakdown literally every play more or less.
from our vaunted back field, one guy didn’t even get drafted, another transfered where again, and the most talented one can’t stay healthy? Nah.

Advertisement
Back