This is why Parrish and Franklin have a great opportunity

Advertisement
Line Yards - essentially rushing yards attributed to the success of the OL

Opportunity Rate - The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.

Power Success Rate - percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown.

Stuff Rate - percentage of carries by running backs that are stopped at or before the line of scrimmage.

Miami 2021 rankings (# represents UM finishing position out of 130 teams):

Line Yards - 96
Opp. Rate - 117
Power Success Rate - 110
Stuff Rate - 109

2021 Miami had an OL problem, not a RB problem

****, none of that was good -- or even slightly below average

from our vaunted back field, one guy didn’t even get drafted, another transfered where again, and the most talented one can’t stay healthy? Nah.

We're talking this year, right?

Cam, history of injuries, that's why he wasn't drafted. The NFL doesn't take guys like that when they can sign them as an UDFA.

I don't know where our transfer went. I didn't see it out of high school.

Injuries, they happen and happen a lot to Chaney.

This group is deep on paper, but that can always change with injuries. Potential top 5 to 10 backfield. We looked to have potential last year, 10 to 20, but injuries plagued us.

Potential isn't **** though until it's realized. Nothing wrong with talking about it, but of they need help. They don't have an OL, potential won't be realized. The WR's don't show up, they'll be running into a stacked box. TE's can help, but the OL and WR's will be key.

Guess we'll see.

Yes, credit to you on that thread.

Also, just casually watching the highlights and they only run inside zone once in the first 9 or 10 plays. ThEy OnLy hAd OnE rUnNiNg pLaY!

The "we only had one running play" narrative is just beyond ridiculous.

Advertisement
Parrish in the pass game is where he’ll be very valuable. If we don’t add a wr we should use a lot of 22 personnel. Flexing out a te or motioning rb’s out would get mismatches. Theres more than one way to skin a cat. I see rb by committee and Citizen is part of the committee.
I can’t see a freshman getting a lot of early burn

Stop “If” Don doesn’t play. Tell me you feel that way when the kid misses a block/blitz and TVD gets blasted. I know I’m a lot of things, but stupid isn’t one of them. Don is number one if he’s healthy. Hopefully the kid gets some playing time and has a successful freshman campaign. Hopefully Don too has a GREAT season and has the opportunity to turn pro and get paid. Fwiw Parrish will see a lot more playing time than any freshman.
I loved Chaney as a prospect - but gotta be realistic about him.

He's only played at a level similar to Cam. Good/Not Elite. And he's horrendous in pass pro, so you can't bring that up if you're making the case for Chaney.

Now add an ACL on top of that. Chaney may step up & ball out this year, and I hope he does. But that's a long way from a given.

All 5 RB's, including Citizen, have a very realistic shot at being the starter.

Just look at our ACC games. Cam played vs UVA and half the UNC game.

Cam + Knighton 2 games - 163 yds per game & 4.4 ypc
Knighton himself 6 games - 95 yds per game & 3.1 ypc

Losing Cam made a noticeable difference
View attachment 186370
Those aren't Harris vs Knighton stats, they are team rushing stats. The difference as I said before against FBS competition is about 19 yards. Noone is arguing that Knighton is an inside runner.

Advertisement
Yeah, I was soft selling it a little bit so as to not incur the wrath of the TVD devotees.

I am a huge fan but it is best for the team if our reliance on him is lessened within a more balanced offense.
Agree. I’d like to not have to be in 2nd and 10 on 800 seperate occasions throughout a game

****, none of that was good -- or even slightly below average
i have serious concerns for this year’s OL, as well.

Strength is a major concern. Our guys weren’t ever able to impose their will. Zion is a finesse pass blocker that gets pushed around regularly. Donaldson and Clark were awful but we had no one better to take their spots. Jarid Williams was our best run blocker (the transfer as the best guy in the room was a theme during the Manny years) and he is gone.

Mario/Mirobel will help, but these aren’t guys they recruited. The OL looked good in the spring game - it looked like more gap blocking, which I like, but I didn’t review any film to check - but one must also question if our defensive front 7 is just that bad.

Going forward, I’d think we are in good hands. In the short term… idk, it doesn’t look good. Plug in any RB you want; if the line is crap, the RB and his numbers are gonna be crap.

i have serious concerns for this year’s OL, as well.

Strength is a major concern. Our guys weren’t ever able to impose their will. Zion is a finesse pass blocker that gets pushed around regularly. Donaldson and Clark were awful but we had no one better to take their spots. Jarid Williams was our best run blocker (the transfer as the best guy in the room was a theme during the Manny years) and he is gone.

Mario/Mirobel will help, but these aren’t guys they recruited. The OL looked good in the spring game - it looked like more gap blocking, which I like, but I didn’t review any film to check - but one must also question if our defensive front 7 is just that bad.

Going forward, I’d think we are in good hands. In the short term… idk, it doesn’t look good. Plug in any RB you want; if the line is crap, the RB and his numbers are gonna be crap.

so basically---- save us Tyler Van Dyke!!!

The "we only had one running play" narrative is just beyond ridiculous.
It really isn't. Every time we got a first down, Lash wanted to rush to the line to go uptempo (which is fine) and if he called a run play (4-50% of the time?), he would just panic and call inside zone. He even admitted his own wife and kids who dont know **** about football asked why we kept running that one running play into a wall for 1-2 yards on first down. Lash was great but this part of his game was a joke. He started to adapt about 4-5 games in a bit

Advertisement
Re: Harris

Many of his yards came on long runs. He had that ability to hit a crease when we ran that inside or outside zone.

While that shouldn’t be a knock on him, he wasn’t exactly a workhorse type that you could rely on down to down.

Re: Chaney

I think more gap blocking would benefit Chaney more than any other back on the roster. If Chaney can get downhill & to that 2nd level, his combination of power and speed would be deadly.

Having a legit threat that can run inside between the tackles will take an enormous amount of pressure off the WRs. Seems to fit what Mario/Gattis like to do. Don is the guy for that role.

Advertisement
Those aren't Harris vs Knighton stats, they are team rushing stats. The difference as I said before against FBS competition is about 19 yards. Noone is arguing that Knighton is an inside runner.

I think you mean vs P5 the difference was 19 yds. Vs FBS it was 33 yds.

2020 vs P5 - Cam 4.7 ypc & Knighton 3.5 ypc
2021 vs P5 - Cam 5.1 ypc & Knighton 3.9 ypc

In 2021 50% of Cam's games came again Top 10 teams - #2 Alabama & #9 Mich St. Not really a fair comparison considering Knighton faced an easier schedule.

Losing Cam definitely hurt our running game's effectiveness last year. Losing both Cam & Chaney really hurt.

It really isn't. Every time we got a first down, Lash wanted to rush to the line to go uptempo (which is fine) and if he called a run play (4-50% of the time?), he would just panic and call inside zone. He even admitted his own wife and kids who dont know **** about football asked why we kept running that one running play into a wall for 1-2 yards on first down. Lash was great but this part of his game was a joke. He started to adapt about 4-5 games in a bit
The whole Gus Malzahn offense is based around the inside zone run and it’s one of those bread and butter plays that your team should be able to execute. Miami couldn’t consistently and Lashlee had to change his gameplan. To his credit, he slowed the tempo down after the North Carolina game and went away from the obvious first down run call. The idea that they only ran one run play is stupid though and mostly supported by fans who don’t know any better and complained that they ran a “draw” too often because they don’t know the difference between running plays out of the shotgun.

The rushing offense for the entire 2020 season and halfway through the 2021 season averaged ~160 yards per game. Not fantastic but middle of the road. Miami had a running game that had to be respected even if it wasn’t great. It wasn’t until they ran out of running back options that the running game totally fell off a cliff. It’s why I believe they they’ll be able to run the ball fairly consistently this year with a full stable of backs.

I think you mean vs P5 the difference was 19 yds. Vs FBS it was 33 yds.

2020 vs P5 - Cam 4.7 ypc & Knighton 3.5 ypc
2021 vs P5 - Cam 5.1 ypc & Knighton 3.9 ypc

In 2021 50% of Cam's games came again Top 10 teams - #2 Alabama & #9 Mich St. Not really a fair comparison considering Knighton faced an easier schedule.

Losing Cam definitely hurt our running game's effectiveness last year. Losing both Cam & Chaney really hurt.
I’d also argue that App State was a much tougher defense than Duke or Georgia Tech. So the whole P5 defense argument is moot

Edit: App State finished 25th nationally against the run. Georgia Tech was 100th and Duke was 117th

That was me. Just look at Knighton's highlights.

Once Knighton crosses the line of scrimmage on his runs - he just runs fast on a straight line. Straight into a defender a lot of the time. It's weird.

He's not changing directions and needs to make that adjustment to his game. There's like 1 run where he changes direction (vs GT).

If anyone can point out differently - please do.

The play at the 2:10 mark was elite!! Juked the UNC db out of his soul one cut at full speed to the end zone!!! :rickflair2:

B8EAAB2B-654B-4C68-8D2A-7A6162D3BC41.gif

Advertisement
Back