Things have lined up

I view him in the Bill O'Brien mold. A potentially very problematic personality that can succeed but in very specific environments.

I absolutely do cringe when our fans routinely bring up his name to come back here though.

Totally agree. O’Brien is a good example. I think one of the reasons he failed in the NFL is that old school approach that just doesn’t work with today’s players

Advertisement
210+ posts and I'm still confused. Do we want Mario or not?
Yes. Mario Lemieux as AD. He's even selling the Penguins to the godforsaken Fenway Group so he can take the job.
pittsburgh penguins hockey GIF by NHL

To be fair, Herbert improved from Taggart to Year 1 Mario to Year 2 Mario. Herbert has been up down in the NFL too, especially this season. He’s a good QB but the issue has always been consistency with him.

Not saying Mario was getting the best out of him but no QB is a perfect product when they turn pro, minus maybe Luck.

That is the point the Oregon writer was making, but what OCCC is not understanding is the PERCEPTION of the player, especially if certain people are talking into his ear. Again, we have to understand the paradigm shift in CFB, players have a lot more power and if they think a coaching change will hurt their brand, NIL earnings, or most importantly, next level success and earning power, they can now market themselves to another location to achieve their perceived goals without having to sit out a season. TVD may not care, but his skillset, geographic background, and the fact that next year is make or break for him if he plans leave at first eligibility mean not taking this into consideration would be foolish. The new Miami AD better not have a blind spot to this reality, some of the posters here sure do.

That is the point the Oregon writer was making, but what OCCC is not understanding is the PERCEPTION of the player, especially if certain people are talking into his ear. Again, we have to understand the paradigm shift in CFB, players have a lot more power and if they think a coaching change will hurt their brand, NIL earnings, or most importantly, next level success and earning power, they can now market themselves to another location to achieve their perceived goals without having to sit out a season. TVD may not care, but his skillset, geographic background, and the fact that next year is make or break for him if he plans leave at first eligibility mean not taking this into consideration would be foolish. The new Miami AD better not have a blind spot to this reality, some of the posters here sure do.

You’re still thinking about me aren’t you? PM me your address and I’ll send you an autograph.

Advertisement
Peterson isn't coming out of retirement, period.
Nope. Kids just know him as their HC is coming to a close. He's too real of a guy not to show it...Kids can tell when their coach has eyes for somewhere else....similar to how a dude always knows his lady has eyes elsewhere.....sad sad situation lol

Lol at Miami fans freaking out about Oregon’s loss. We weren’t getting him if he made the playoffs.

He’s won conference championships, bowl games, and beat OSU at the shoe. Oregon wasn’t even on the map when he got there
Joey Harrington and Chip Kelly put them on the map. Under Kelly regime, Oregon was a perinnal national title contender. And, they haven't regain that status under Cristobal.

Advertisement
Lol at Miami fans freaking out about Oregon’s loss. We weren’t getting him if he made the playoffs.

He’s won conference championships, bowl games, and beat OSU at the shoe. Oregon wasn’t even on the map when he got there
I like Mario. I really do. I think he could build something here as he is an elite recruiter and he is still improving as a head coach. I think his best days are still ahead of him.

Having said that you can miss me with the "Oregon wasn't even on the map when he got there" because that's just completely false. Oregon has played in two National Championship games in the last 10-11 years. Once vs Auburn in Jan 2011 and again vs Ohio Taint in Jan 2015. Granted after the National Championship Game loss vs The Ohio Taint, Helfrich let things get away from him then Mario came in and put the Ducks back on track again but Oregon was most certainly "On the map" before Mario became the head coach.

Advertisement
Its not that Oregon lost. I mean this was a ranked Utah team on the road. But its HOW they lost. With so much at stake, you lose 38-7? Tight game, fg miss or make by Utah to win it, thats one thing but it is concerning to come out and get dominated. I did not see one snap of the game but box score shows 28-0 at one point. Educate me, but was this game ever closer than the score? Did Oregon have a major injury? Mario cant come here with that offense. 7 points the whole game?

Advertisement
The same guys will say Mario’s best year was with Herbert, but then suck off Lane for this year , yet leave off his current qb being a stud. They come back with “if they played Osu again they get blown out“ which is a way of discrediting that win. They’ll rag him about losing to Wsu even though his OC about died in pre game and wasn’t there for that game.
On top of that there was multiple god awful calls late.

People try to build narratives like it’s main stream news lol. The truth is the same now as it was before the game, there’s no perfect hire and they all have flaws. You’re smoking drugs if you don’t think Lane isn’t feast or absolute famine. Especially with his off field issues. Thats coming from a guy ok with him being plan B. I’m just saying.

Exactly people don’t seem to grasp that there are no locks.

And the key is the find the person with a great resume, visions and seems to be ascending in his career.

No, but the conventional wisdom is he cost Hebert draft placement, possibly the #1 pick given Burrow's physical limitations. Like a lot of people, I watched Hebert's combine and was impressed, hoping the Dolphins would take him instead of Tua. But, they were scared off by Hebert's relatively pedestrian record at Oregon, took Tua and the rest is history. Sure #6 doesn't sound bad, but check this out:

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/04/nfl-draft-2021-how-much-each-first-round-pick-will-be-paid.html

Excerpt:

"The fifth player picked on Thursday night – LSU wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase by the Cincinnati Bengals -- will get a contract that’s worth about $3.5 million more than that of the sixth player picked – Waddle. That’s a difference of around $875,000 per year over the life of the contract."

TVD may LOVE Miami, but he is from Connecticut, where CFB interest pales compared to the NFL (I have lived in the Northeast). To a guy of his background, losing NFL draft position is non-negotiable. If he thinks he has a chance of losing such position (and especially if a new regime is firing the OC that is giving him the 300+ yard games and NFL throws, for a dink and dump O) he will hit the portal. He isn't losing the dream NFL stardom and top pick $$$ because the 'Canes are set on a certain new HC.

Bruh stop.

He didn’t cost Herbert draft stock.

Herbert had a chance to be a the 1st QB and came back to college.

Burrow and Tua were simply better graded QB prospects by scouts.

It’s documented that Even the Chargers wanted to the dolphins to take Herbert so they could get Tua.

The knock on Herbert was his ability to lead and his mental make up.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Justin-Herbert-Chargers-NFL-Oregon-Ducks-168765982/

Simple ******* Answer, how about ******* read the above article? Okay, let me make it easy for your ******* simple ******* brain so it doesn't have to find quotes:

"He has more confidence. Knowing the plays, knowing what to do, knowing what to look at, knowing where to throw the ball and when to throw it. Last year, he was just calling the play and not really knowing what was going on," Chargers pro-bowl receiver Keenan Allen told the franchise's website. "

Who was the guy responsible for his development at Oregon the year before he was drafted? HC Mario ******* Cristobal, the Captain of the ship, not some other weenie QB coach

https://fishduck.com/2021/03/did-oregon-fail-to-develop-justin-herbert/

Why the **** would the hack for the Oregon fan site write this defense if the question had not come up? Why did Herbert drop behind Burrow and Tua?

Hmm, look at this ******* article too:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-justin-herbert-worth-risk-first-round-2020-nfl-draft

"Herbert has also been heavily criticized for poor performances in big games. Arguably the three biggest games of Herbert’s 2019 season are the following: Week 1 vs. Auburn, Pac-12 Championship vs. Utah and the Rose Bowl vs. Wisconsin. All three were among his four worst single-game grades of the season and combined to make up a 58.2 overall grade."

Gee, Mario just got ******* blown out with barely any offense in a big game just tonight...Don't worry, I'm sure TVD won't see the re-cap on his ******* phone.

So I am ******* reaching when I say that TVD MIGHT have some trepidation about his future with Mario as HC, especially if he cans Lashlee?

Someone needs to use their ******* head and think a couple of steps ahead instead of being a ******* poster equivalent of Blake James.

If you think that Herbert not knowing his NFL playbook is a sign of poor development you don’t really understand how ball work.

I’m trying to figure out something. Lane doesn’t like to recruit. That’s just the honest truth. Mullen doesn’t like to recruit. Both are great coaches. How is Lane not Dan Mullen that everyone here hates? And that’s a legit question. If they have some differences that I’m overlooking please educate me in all sincerity

Advertisement
Back