The Work: Jeudy, Donaldson, and much more

View as article
Kaaya would be dumb to leave. He is selling himself for pennies on the dollar. And in terms of his college level, he has no major team success to his name.

Funny you mocked me for having a similar sentiment prior to the season.
I think D has come around on some of Kaaya's limitations, but let's be real: Kaaya had a poor showing this year, so the data is different. The tape of this year's games against anything comparable to NFL talent is sub-standard.

When in Brad Kaays career has his play, against anything comparable to NFL talent, been better than sub standard?

The 2015 FSU game was a much better example for him.

Advertisement
Kaaya would be dumb to leave. He is selling himself for pennies on the dollar. And in terms of his college level, he has no major team success to his name.

I think D has come around on some of Kaaya's limitations, but let's be real: Kaaya had a poor showing this year, so the data is different. The tape of this year's games against anything comparable to NFL talent is sub-standard.

The data isn't different, the data just hasn't moved. I'm still hopeful for Kaaya, that his limitations are coachable. He has pinpoint accuracy at times, I think his arm strength is just fine, but he lacks the intangibles that others have already discussed. Those intangibles keep him from being an NFL prospect to an NFL player, or the difference in being 8-4 and 11-1. As Kaaya/Richt said, more games are lost than won at the QB position.
The data has moved because no longer can you project his improvement without seeing it. After 2015, he was still on the rise. When he didn't produce accordingly this season, the data changes. Put it in a narrower way: after 2015, he had a solid enough showing against FSU's athletes. He had a very poor game against a worse FSU defense in 2016.

Projected Round (2017): 3-4.
12/7/16: One general manager of a playoff team that is very skilled at quarterback evaluation said they had Kaaya as fifth-round pick. They feel he has no mobility, can't throw well while under pressure, and while his arm is decent, he doesn't blow them away. Two other teams said they graded Kaaya as a late third-, early fourth-rounder. Multiple teams also expressed that they have concerns about Kaaya lacking leadership.

Spot on assessment.

Kaaya must be living in a safe space for the ages if that isn't the overwhelming feedback he's receiving. Also, his biggest weaknesses are absolute essentials in the league (e.g. Shuffling feet to buy time, pocket awareness, ability to scan all your reads, standing tall and able to take a hit, etc...).

His NFL career will in no way be successful unless he improves and to declare early would be one of the worst early declarations I've ever seen.

Safe spaces and outside influences aside, I'd hope Rick would tell him this same thing in a blunt manner. And Rick has been around long enough (and is honest enough) that his advice should be most valued. Jesuchristo, he had Aaron Murray not too long ago, a guy that looked a helluva lot better in his career than Kaaya has so far, only go in the 5th round and is now toiling on NFL practice squads.

When in Brad Kaays career has his play, against anything comparable to NFL talent, been better than sub standard?

That's one game where he was still inconsistent and couldn't close when it mattered. That game doesn't stand out as a special performance from him.

Advertisement
Disagree with Pete on Kaaya. I think the opportunity to come back, work on some of his weaknesses and become a top 10 pick is worth him coming back.

Now with that said, if he goes I ain't crying

I think one people are overlooking is that Kaaya might want to leave because of the way the fans treated him this season. He was attacked heavily for his play (rightfully so), but we know Kaaya is a soft-shouldered dude, I'm sure seeing all that criticism affected him.

It would tie in to Pete's point of him not really being involved in recruiting the next class as well

I think one people are overlooking is that Kaaya might want to leave because of the way the fans treated him this season. He was attacked heavily for his play (rightfully so), but we know Kaaya is a soft-shouldered dude, I'm sure seeing all that criticism affected him.

It would tie in to Pete's point of him not really being involved in recruiting the next class as well

I'm sure NFL fans will go easier on him

I've said in the past...if you're worried about the fans you not ready for the NFL.

Advertisement
If Kaaya leaves now he never plays another meaningful down of football again. Dude is nowhere ready for the NFL and is gonna get stuck holding a clipboard for at least a couple of years. It's not like he is gonna get the the NFL and all the sudden become someone he isn't. He will get destroyed by the league.

Yep & even if a SHTTY Team drafts you they too want a QB who has a history of winning especially big games. Well, he doesn't fit the bill on either & makes his OL look even worse than they really are by having 0 mobility & holds the ball entirely to long at times.

Weldon is being over looked. Let this kid get his workouts on in the weight room & he shows me as much as Perry does. Think it's Captain Jack time anyway.

Jeez guys...can't we just be happy with any decision a kid who decided to play for us makes? I mean, no team produces 100% studs. BK wasnt the greatest, but he is a Cane and that's something I support now, and when canes go pro.

The data isn't different, the data just hasn't moved. I'm still hopeful for Kaaya, that his limitations are coachable. He has pinpoint accuracy at times, I think his arm strength is just fine, but he lacks the intangibles that others have already discussed. Those intangibles keep him from being an NFL prospect to an NFL player, or the difference in being 8-4 and 11-1. As Kaaya/Richt said, more games are lost than won at the QB position.
The data has moved because no longer can you project his improvement without seeing it. After 2015, he was still on the rise. When he didn't produce accordingly this season, the data changes. Put it in a narrower way: after 2015, he had a solid enough showing against FSU's athletes. He had a very poor game against a worse FSU defense in 2016.

Fair point. I didn't see enough improvement during his second season to believe he was on the rise, just as I didn't see enough during this season to think he'd be better next year. That said, with hard work and opportunity (elite QB coaching from Papa Richt), anything is possible. He should definitely be staying though, that much should be agreed upon.

He does not have the IT factor, he had a very pedestrian season and bad decision if he leaves.

Advertisement
I didn't add this in the Kaaya section but I find it odd that he has been involved very little in recruiting this year. He was on top of the entire recruiting board the last couple years, but from what I understand he has not been as into it this year.

richt kind of screwed the kid by running that ishtty offense, especially during that 4 game skid. why is he running some rpo and not some type of classical drop back/shot gun. I'm hoping we get him back and get jj. David we can use you as well.

Kaaya'a junior season reminds me a lot of Morris' senior season: they both had nice prior seasons, came in with a lot of hype to put up big numbers and lead us to big seasons; greatly underwhelmed, and finished in the RAB. Only difference: Kaaya has a chance to write a nicer ending with his bowl game and senior year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a Kaaya fan but this would be ridiculous if true....and I doubt it is. The kid has been on a 3 year honeymoon with the fanbase by and large. The critiques and assessments you see here are not what he'd be hearing in his day to day life. The local media alone still loves the kid. Until that flips then you're really not getting any real blowback unless you actively seek it out.

Advertisement

That's one game where he was still inconsistent and couldn't close when it mattered. That game doesn't stand out as a special performance from him.
I've tried to be fair in assessing Brad his entire career. Checked some of the early runaway superstar assessments. In that FSU game, he was around 60% for 400+ yards and 3 TDs against a very talented defense. Your history on Kaaya indicates you may not be able to be objective on him, which is fine. No need to discuss further. We don't disagree on the overarching point that he's limited and has yet to show what everyone hoped he would.

Disagree with Pete on Kaaya. I think the opportunity to come back, work on some of his weaknesses and become a top 10 pick is worth him coming back.

Now with that said, if he goes I ain't crying

I will. That takes us from a contention year to a rebuilding year.

I didn't add this in the Kaaya section but I find it odd that he has been involved very little in recruiting this year. He was on top of the entire recruiting board the last couple years, but from what I understand he has not been as into it this year.

richt kind of screwed the kid by running that ishtty offense, especially during that 4 game skid. why is he running some rpo and not some type of classical drop back/shot gun. I'm hoping we get him back and get jj. David we can use you as well.

To run a traditional drop back passing offense, the quarterback needs to have consistently good footwork and the ability to step into his throws, neither of which Kaaya has.

Advertisement
Back