The truth about Mario

Advertisement
He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
I have never been crazy high on Mario.

However, I think Miami is in a life and death situation right now, and Cristobal is good enough to change that internally and externally. My back of the mind fear is that Miami is broken beyond repair and this will be our version of Scott Frost, but I don't think we have the ability to choose out of fear right now. Also, if we are truly that screwed, it doesn't matter who we hire.

What I will agree with is that Mario is not the only one who can fix us, I just think he has the highest chance of giving us the full internal shift we need to have to be saved.

However, I think Miami is in a life and death situation right now, and Cristobal is good enough to change that internally and externally. My back of the mind fear is that Miami is broken beyond repair and this will be our version of Scott Frost, but I don't think we have the ability to choose out of fear right now.

What I will agree with is that Mario is not the only one who can fix us, I just think he has the highest chance of giving us the full internal shift we need to have to be saved.
Fair enough. I hope you are right!

Advertisement

However, I think Miami is in a life and death situation right now, and Cristobal is good enough to change that internally and externally. My back of the mind fear is that Miami is broken beyond repair and this will be our version of Scott Frost, but I don't think we have the ability to choose out of fear right now. Also, if we are truly that screwed, it doesn't matter who we hire.

What's killed Frost is the fact that he got unlucky with some players and coaches, but most of all, Nebraska HAS to leave the state to field a team and in the new era, unless you're ND, it's really hard to sustain success that way. And, even the Domers are in Indiana which actually has some talent and are very close to the Michigan state line and that state has a TON of HS talent, so even ND is not in the same boat as Nebraska.

If I remember correctly, I think we floated an invite for conversation with him and he had dreams of resurrecting his alma mater. If Frost had come here with our natural built-in recruiting advantage, our collective fortunes would have been much different. He didn't forget how to coach, he just has too many things stacked against him to sustain success IMO.

I want a detailed search for a coach. Whats more important than the HC is who he gets to come with him and who he has the money to pay for as assistants.

We wont have to worry about his recruiting if he comes here, that's one thing i know he solves immediately for all those who think its only lack of horses that has held us back.

There are other good coaches other than Cristobal, i just want them to have experience at the power 5 level.

Advertisement
Also got to remember it’s his 4th year at Oregon. This is the year we’re you see his guys and his culture start to play and come out. Can’t really count last year covid year.

He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
I think the hype given to Mario isn't really that much overblown... and the attention given to him here on CIS may be from well-wishers given to a Canes alum coach. On the other hand I've read outright vicious hateful attacks towards Mario here from a group of CISers slandering his ethnicity and his community connections.
As for Mario's FIU losing record... he didn't become a stellar first time coach there, but it's not like he inherited a premier program either. His improvement over the last 3 years in combination with what he does this year will be what really matters when we objectively evaluate his worth.
Butch Davis who has a long coaching background, and also has a big following on CIS, has a dismal 24 - 23 record at FIU.
Personally I would like him to stay in Oregon much longer while we deal with our deadbeat coach who isn't going away as fast as we'd like.

he's more proven than any coach we've ever brought here besides Richt... he has 10 years as a head coach and 4 years as an assistant head coach for possibly the greatest head coach of all time in Nick Saban..

he has weaknesses as do all head coaches.. but i think his experience has taught him how to work around those weaknesses as long as he is given the resources to do so..

Advertisement
He's a solid HC who can motivate his players and hire a good staff - IF he has the funds to do so. Oregon (NIKE) has the funding he needed - Miami hasn't shown the willingness to pay and continue to pay for top coaches for a full staff.

Everyone likes to point out the 2020 PAC 12 championship, but they never would have had that chance absent covid because they didn't win their division.

@IndayArtHauz articulated my sentiments exactly. He can repair and recruit, right now 10-11 wins a year is a big step in the right direction.

Advertisement
Wow, **** of a response. Thanks!

What did you expect, based off your garbage first post? We have been discussing (for weeks) Mario's FIU situation, the time he spent working with Saban, and his subsequent performance at Oregon, but you think that your post broke new ground and required substantial discussion?

Hilarious.

If you put Saban or Meyer in Miami, would they be able to turn Miami into national champions within 3 years? As long as the answer remains yes, I will continue to believe that Miami is a head coach away from being a contender again. Now obviously those two aren't realistic possibilities so then the quesiton is whether any other coach would ever be able to rise to their level.

I know I may sound like a crazy person, but with Cristobal/Kiffin I see parallels of Saban/Meyer in terms of how each approaches the game. Cristobal is the culture guy, Kiffin is the scheme guy. I'd be happy with either.

I know I shouldn't, but is OSU really that good? Day is not Urban and Fields is gone.

I like that Mario knows OLINE play like the back of his hand, which is honestly the biggest reason I want him here.
Ohio State is a great win, but they may prove to not be quite as good as they first appeared, as you said. Hopefully, Day ends up being a corch.

Advertisement
Back