The Story on Jaden Davis

Why would he decommit early?? to commit to Oklahoma lol that wouldve been on him... Jaden is not an all world cant miss athlete.. he shouldve jumped on the Cane offer immediately like he wanted to. Looks like his dad was on some pride bs and let that get in the way of making what shouldve been an obvious immediate decision.

Because teenage kids make decisions then change their mind.

I'd rather he commit to Miami if he wants to.

Advertisement
So Blades is a consensus 4 star and ranked the #12 CB in the country out of HS and he can't play CB in college? I guess it's good that Richt and Co. are doing their own evaluations and not trusting the star rankings.
The ranking came from his size and athletic ability. I have never been very impressed by his coverage skills.

I love the work you guys do (site hasn't been this good in years), but can we please hold off on making decisions about guys before they even spend any real time on campus? I think it's a little early to speculate that Richt is recruiting more CBs because they are already convinced Al Blades can't be a CB. I'd say it has more to do with our lack of depth at the position and the fact that we're losing a few players this year.
I just gave my opinion. I didn't say this was insider information or anything.

lol at one of the reasons the staff is taking so many corners could be Al Blades smh hilarious... little to do with the fact that we need more bodies at that position regardless of who is on the team.

Why not bc of Nigel Bethel if that's the case? I'm sure like with everyone in the country, the staff believes that Al Blades is further along in his development as a cb than him?

Advertisement
lol at one of the reasons the staff is taking so many corners could be Al Blades smh hilarious... little to do with the fact that we need more bodies at that position regardless of who is on the team.

Why not bc of Nigel Bethel if that's the case? I'm sure like with everyone in the country, the staff believes that Al Blades is further along in his development as a cb than him?
I can't comment on Bethel because I have not seen him play corner. I have, however, seen Blades play corner and safety. Also, I agree we are low on bodies, but only a few months ago the plan was to only take one corner this class. I am speculating on why this has changed.

Because teenage kids make decisions then change their mind.

I'd rather he commit to Miami if he wants to.

He wanted to but his dad got in his head.. you're thinking about this too deep. Jaden Davis is a dime a dozen football player, he was offered a scholarship to Miami with an opportunity to commit. He froze up and now he has to settle for playing in the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma... I'm sure he didn't grow up wanting to be a sooner.

His dad fckd up and Jaden is going to have a grudge against him about it especially after his senior year winds down and the realization that all of his buddies are going to Miami while he has to fly to Oklahomer becomes more apparent.

He wanted to but his dad got in his head.. you're thinking about this too deep. Jaden Davis is a dime a dozen football player, he was offered a scholarship to Miami with an opportunity to commit. He froze up and now he has to settle for playing in the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma... I'm sure he didn't grow up wanting to be a sooner.

His dad fckd up and Jaden is going to have a grudge against him about it especially after his senior year winds down and the realization that all of his buddies are going to Miami while he has to fly to Oklahomer becomes more apparent.

I Think OU has always been a factor though.//.he and his entire family has already visited there. That being said..you had a chance at UM...and balked if that's where he really wanted to go..his time is running out.

Advertisement
I can't comment on Bethel because I have not seen him play corner. I have, however, seen Blades play corner and safety. Also, I agree we are low on bodies, but only a few months ago the plan was to only take one corner this class. I am speculating on why this has changed.
I think your letting your unimpressed nature over Blades here and there blind you more to the light that we are going to lose at least 4 dbs thhis season - M Jax, Quan, Dean, Already lost Malek, - from an already skeletal db depth chart. Thats a set you want to at least be 15 deep at (6 pure cb, 3 slot, 3 SS 3 FS) and we are currently around 11 with 2-3 still in project stage (Blades, Bethel, Knowles (yes I know hes a RS JR), and Finley. IDK who told you 1 CB/DB but naw.

I think your letting your unimpressed nature over Blades here and there blind you more to the light that we are going to lose at least 4 dbs thhis season - M Jax, Quan, Dean, Already lost Malek, - from an already skeletal db depth chart. Thats a set you want to at least be 15 deep at (6 pure cb, 3 slot, 3 SS 3 FS) and we are currently around 11 with 2-3 still in project stage (Blades, Bethel, Knowles (yes I know hes a RS JR), and Finley. IDK who told you 1 CB/DB but naw.
I get what you are saying, but we knew how many guys we we're losing a few months ago. At that point, the plan was only 1 corner. Something has changed in that time period.

So we are giving ultimatums to these kids? They either committ now or they will not be in the class? No wonder we have so many kids that are committing only to decommit a few months later. Not digging this at all.[/QUOTE

That's not what it is at all !
It's more like "commit now because it might get filled by someone else"
First come first serve type of deal

I get what you are saying, but we knew how many guys we we're losing a few months ago. At that point, the plan was only 1 corner. Something has changed in that time period.

It's pretty clear that your info about taking 1 corner was wrong. No offense, but we're graduating 2 corners and likely starting two true sophmores at boundry next year so i don't really know how ANYONE could come to the conclusion that we'd only take 1 corner. That never made sense.

Advertisement
It's pretty clear that your info about taking 1 corner was wrong. No offense, but we're graduating 2 corners and likely starting two true sophmores at boundry next year so i don't really know how ANYONE could come to the conclusion that we'd only take 1 corner. That never made sense.
Go back and read one of the things Stefan put on the first page of this thread. He said originally it was one.

Go back and read one of the things Stefan put on the first page of this thread. He said originally it was one.
And we have all the faith in the world that Stefan believed what he wrote, and may have even been fed that from someone with some connection.

The bottom line is, you don't miss on 4+ takes in the last two classes and only take 1 in this class. The idea that we were only taking 1 was either incorrect speculation, dependent on more guys in the 18 class signing, or some sort of ruse for recruiting purposes. the only way taking one in this class was ever possible was if we got Jobe, Campbell, etc.

It doesn't take a genius to look at roster numbers and know what is needed. There is only so much saving spots until a better class that can actually be done before it becomes a detriment to depth and practice numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
And we have all the faith in the world that Stefan believed what he wrote, and may have even been fed that from someone with some connection.

The bottom line is, you don't miss on 4+ takes in the last two classes and only take 1 in this class. The idea that we were only taking 1 was either incorrect speculation, dependent on more guys in the 18 class signing, or some sort of ruse for recruiting purposes. the only way taking one in this class was ever possible was if we got Jobe, Campbell, etc.

It doesn't take a genius to look at roster numbers and know what is needed. There is only so much saving spots until a better class that can actually be done before it becomes a detriment to depth and practice numbers.

Exactly. You can't look at next years CB depth chart and say that only needs 1 guy.

Frierson
Ivey
Bandy
Blades (pegged as a future safety by MANY)
Bethel (obviously raw)

Maybe he wrote that when people were still thinking Stevenson and Sanguetti could end up as CB's or " Frierson " types, but Guetti is slow as **** and Stevenson just looks like he'll outgrow it.

Advertisement
I hear you, but you can’t tell me one player made our DB board jump one to what now looks to be 4-5, and that’s strictly CB, not counting the three they want at SS/striker, and MAR at athlete.
And to add to that notion of only one player affecting it being short sided you can add that the EE secondary additions have been exceptional. Frierson, Ivey and Hall have frequently been singled out for great performance on and off the field.
Just as you said they knew that they were going to lose these players, therefore the number probably was never one, even if Al Blades Jr was Pat Surtain Jr. Your source was flawed is the point, and unfortunately your the messenger of there flawed message.

So our S & CB board is as follows

1. Stevenson
2. Richards
3. Dent
4. Battle
5. Brownlee
6. Smith
7. Good
8. Couch

And we have commits from the bottom 4

Seems like an odd way to recruit but I guess the staff doesn’t want to get burned for the 3rd year in a row by their top guys

I don't see an "odd way to recruit" so much as the strategy being a product of the top guys committing later in the cycle. It's also creating urgency for the best guys. We're basically saying we've got X spots left and you're on board or not.

Staff isn't gonna let these dudes play games, and that strategy will make the next class think about when they commit.

Advertisement
Back