The Story on Jaden Davis

And that means someone is forced out. I don't like that policy one single bit. If that's the way we play the game then we get what we deserve when on NSD we are left at the alter by the Campbells of the world.
All colleges do this. We are not the only ones.

Advertisement
Gonna play devils advocate as I talked about this with Stefan, Erick and Dmoney the other day. On one hand maybe it was early to take him, but what happens if the kid blows up this year? There is no denying his speed or size, he does have potential. For that same token, if he blows up and we weren’t on him, folks on here would be ****ed and asking why we didn’t get on him early.

I see no issue in it. Evaluations can change, we saw it with a few kids in ‘19 where staff stopped contacting. Some kids regress, some improve, etc.
I know he has a track time of 10.6 but I definitely don’t see that type of speed on film of him honestly

Where is all this Al Blades info coming from? Did I miss something? 2nd or 3rd thread I've been in where people are making assumptions about the 2019 CB class based off al blades
Al has a lot of talent and he’s athletic but it’s well known that his technique must get better. He was playing safety his junior year for STA and was much more comfortable. He is a bit of a tweener. I do have a lot of faith and belief in Coach Rumphs ability as a coach, so if Al is at corner.. I’m positive Rumph will develop him. He’s more natural as a safety or more of a nickel/safety which he also played his junior year at STA.

And Starks was about 5'10".

But I agree - Butch had bigger corners and maybe even playing a bit out of position just to get the best DBs on the field.

And both Starks and Buchanon could really run.

After all, Rumph and Rolle both ended up switching to safety in the pros.

I am not too caught up on size..but I don't want a roster full of 5'8-5'10 kids in my secondary either. The game has changed. 2 or 3 is enough.

People keep bringing up Phillip B but he was the only 5'9 kid that Butch recruited playing CB IIRC. Markese Fitz was like 5'11. Rumph as 6'1. Rolle was 6'0...You take a 5'9 kid if he is a freak like PB was obviously. I am not seeing any PBs in this class or the last.

Agree about Rumph's ability to develop the CBs.

If he and our staff prove that they can evaluate well with CBs, it will really broaden the CB board each year.

Al has a lot of talent and he’s athletic but it’s well known that his technique must get better. He was playing safety his junior year for STA and was much more comfortable. He is a bit of a tweener. I do have a lot of faith and belief in Coach Rumphs ability as a coach, so if Al is at corner.. I’m positive Rumph will develop him. He’s more natural as a safety or more of a nickel/safety which he also played his junior year at STA.

Advertisement
They know that 3 weeks in? LOL, we just saw blades lock down elite receivers at the opening and have a good week in the Under Armour game , win multiple db mvps at camps but now blades can’t cover? Sounds like more speculation going on that doesn’t need to be had period....

Quit making sh*t up ,they are taking a lot of corners because we lost Malek Young already and for sure are losing 2 with Michael Jackson and dean gone after the season. Leaving Miami with only 5 corners again next season(frierson, Ivey, bandy, blades, bethel).

Blades might be the most physically imposing db that we signed at corner last year and that says a lot considering we have frierson and Ivey out there who are big as **** too. No doubt in my mind that rumph will coach blades up very well period

It has been discussed he could end up starting out at safety. Camps are one thing and live games are another, he has a ton of talent and his athleticism is great. He runs legit 4.5 and had a 4.0 flat shuttle and he can jump. I am on the boat with you about Rumph ability to coach him up if his destination is corner. They have discussed him being a safety though.

True he is athletic. Blades in HS was just a hair off the 400m national elite standard of 49.50 (he ran 49.53). He has high jumped 6-0 and has run the 100m- in 11.18 in only meet he ran that event in 2018-- during the early part of the season. I am sure if he would have worked on the 100m he would have cracked 11.0.

I think some of yawl put a premium on HS SIZE far too much. A lot of these kids aren't receiving the proper nutrition nor strength training they are in HS. 3 of the top 5 DB's in the 2018 draft were all the exact same size as these kids yawl are calling to small this is the exact same reason the program has been down. Phillip Buchanon, Corn Elder and several others were at or around this size coming into Miami

Denzel Ward 5-10 or 5'11 per his rivals page 170 lbs. left OSU 191
Mike Hughes 5'10 160 out of HS per this years draft 189 lbs.
Jaire Alexander 5'11 170 out of HS draft weight 192 lbs.

I would go by that..but kids at programs like Chaminade, STA are getting proper training etc. 5'11 170 isn't really small. Couch was 150pds a few months back. He has a frame that maybe able to put on weight though I believe. But it is a risk.

lol Davis is going to regret that dumb decision smh some times you gotta ignore pops and make your own decision. Now it's too late we got an equal replacement ASAP in Couch.

It's funny that people complain when kids decommit but then they pressure them to commit too early.

It seems to me that a kid saying that he wants to take some visits before he decides is not a dumb decision. Maybe he's just not sure yet.

Advertisement
So we get burned 2 years ago on #’s at CB and we’re late to Samuel Jr. last cycle.. Rhetoric becomes let’s take guys early that are maybe Tier 2 whereas before we would’ve told them to wait and then they end up going elsewhere because we slow played them. And now the rhetoric is let’s not take a guy yet because he’s not a Stevenson or a Battle. Y’all can be something else sometimes. Every situation is different but hindsight makes everyone feel like a mad scientist with recruiting.
I agree with the strategy for guys like Good, Brownlee and Couch. Not for a guy like Steele though. He's the player you wait for, not try and force a commitment.

It's funny that people complain when kids decommit but then they pressure them to commit too early.

It seems to me that a kid saying that he wants to take some visits before he decides is not a dumb decision. Maybe he's just not sure yet.

Why would he decommit early?? to commit to Oklahoma lol that wouldve been on him... Jaden is not an all world cant miss athlete.. he shouldve jumped on the Cane offer immediately like he wanted to. Looks like his dad was on some pride bs and let that get in the way of making what shouldve been an obvious immediate decision.

Why would he decommit early?? to commit to Oklahoma lol that wouldve been on him... Jaden is not an all world cant miss athlete.. he shouldve jumped on the Cane offer immediately like he wanted to. Looks like his dad was on some pride bs and let that get in the way of making what shouldve been an obvious immediate decision.

Your fandom is bleeding through this post.

Advertisement
If there's really already talk within the program about Blades ending up at safety or striker then the idea of one or only two CBs makes even less sense.

Advertisement
Seems to me this coaching staff is really beginning to hit their recruiting stride. They've had to re-establish relationships with high schools, players, and HS coaches; learn each others strengths and weaknesses; re-brand the U image, upgrade facilities, and all the while, continue coaching and mentoring the current roster. I believe we're well on the road to recovery after a LONG stretch of mediocrity.

Would he fit at the Rover position?

UM's recruiting strategy at corner has been to secure commitments over the summer so that they know what they have going into the fall season while they wait on bigger names.

Miami has been aggressive pushing for commits at corner, as we reported was a factor in UM parting ways with Chris Steele early last week. Miami was waiting on Steele to decide before moving down their board.

The Canes then brought two corners in last Thursday for visits, one of whom committed in Jarvis Brownlee, and the other in Jaden Davis. Brownlee has been a priority and high on UM's board since he was offered; his spot was there for him to take regardless. However, the parting ways with Steele directly opened up an opportunity for Davis, who was not previously considered a take. A source close to the Davis recruitment told me Davis was given the opportunity to commit on the spot by Manny Diaz. However, Davis' father preferred that Davis take some official visits before deciding, to which Diaz said they would not wait on Davis. Davis left without committing.

In short, Miami had been keeping in touch with Te'Cory Couch and gave him the same opportunity some time after this; Couch hopped on it.

Those at DB that UM will still make a spot for regardless? Tyrique Stevenson, Mark-Antony Richards, and Akeem Dent. Chris Steele was previously in this tier. I'm also hearing Jordan Battle is pushing his way into this tier as well.

Stefan I just want to say thank you. Your information is to the point and factual I stopped coming to this site for a while when Ariz took over the board. I really like the way you don’t beat around the bush and act childish like things were before. I will be on this board a lot more often now excited to read your work. Keep up the good work enjoy your content.

Advertisement
Back