The Story on Jaden Davis

Advertisement
UM's recruiting strategy at corner has been to secure commitments over the summer so that they know what they have going into the fall season while they wait on bigger names.

Miami has been aggressive pushing for commits at corner, as we reported was a factor in UM parting ways with Chris Steele early last week. Miami was waiting on Steele to decide before moving down their board.

The Canes then brought two corners in last Thursday for visits, one of whom committed in Jarvis Brownlee, and the other in Jaden Davis. Brownlee has been a priority and high on UM's board since he was offered; his spot was there for him to take regardless. However, the parting ways with Steele directly opened up an opportunity for Davis, who was not previously considered a take. A source close to the Davis recruitment told me Davis was given the opportunity to commit on the spot by Manny Diaz. However, Davis' father preferred that Davis take some official visits before deciding, to which Diaz said they would not wait on Davis. Davis left without committing.

In short, Miami had been keeping in touch with Te'Cory Couch and gave him the same opportunity some time after this; Couch hopped on it.

Those at DB that UM will still make a spot for regardless? Tyrique Stevenson, Mark-Antony Richards, and Akeem Dent. Chris Steele was previously in this tier. I'm also hearing Jordan Battle is pushing his way into this tier as well.
Is Akeem Dent still in play at this point? Isnt he all Bama or FSU?

I think what we're seeing from the staff is trying to find guys who can play corner, which is a position that at the high school level that (for the elite prospects) typically coincides with good measurables -- length, speed, and non-measurables like aggressiveness and football IQ. The plan to me seems to bring in those type of guys, and understand that some of them might become safeties, linebackers, returners. Not to mention the staff is putting a premium on speed across the roster.

There was a lot of chatter on here a few months back about going to a 4-2-5. I'm not necessarily saying I buy that (although the Viper/Striker addition seems to have some elements of it), but Diaz seems to want to run our D the way Jimmy Johnson did -- FAST guys who are VIOLENT. Who cares if they're relatively small?

The chaos that Diaz preaches is better achieved through speed than size and it seems the recruiting strategy, to an extent, is reflecting that notion.

So we are giving ultimatums to these kids? They either committ now or they will not be in the class? No wonder we have so many kids that are committing only to decommit a few months later. Not digging this at all.

The Recruiting Board

Couch is a 4 star who already decommitted from Tenn and Michigan, correct? I wouldn't call that "lower". His only question mark is his ability to gain good weight, which I don't think is going to be a problem. Other than Elam, who hasn't shown any sustained interest, there's no one in this class who is as well rounded as the top 2017 kids. I think coaches took the best fit out there (Couch) and two projects with tremendous upside (Good and Brownlee).
I dont think Brownlee is a project H es what you consider a "high floor" prospect. Hes a pretty well-rounded out kid. I think the rankings should soon refelct that.

Advertisement
As I'm sure you're aware, Richt is not a fan of filling spots just to fill them, and will go under the scholarship limit if UM misses on too many top targets.

This approach concerns me and simultaneously makes me hopeful. On one hand, why not have extra guys on scholly? Who the heck knows if you're going to need a fourth string at some point? Things happen.

On the other hand, it's a lot like Butch taking over during probation. Butch couldn't take as many guys, so he had to ensure the ones he got were absolute dogs. Now that we can offer a full 85, Richt is being conscious about the locker room. It's not so much about if the guy can play, because it if was, as said above, he'd fill the spots. But does he fit? Does he want to be here, does he want to compete, will he take care of his business off the field? It seems like he's really focused on building culture, in the locker room and outside it.

Everything that's going on right now is a recipe for the (super cliche) perfect storm. Diaz was a perfect fit for the defense and I don't see him leaving soon. Richt understands Miami. Dugans and Hartley are stud recruiters and Simpson is looking like a great hire early. Hard Rock just finished renovating, the IPF is on the way, and the Turnover Chain helped remind everyone who we are.

I'm more confident than ever that Mark Richt will win a ring at The U.

Honestly right now, I'd much rather have Davis than Couch.

Guess we'll see how their senior seasons play out though. I'm not worried about DBs. I'm confident we'll get 4+ studs.
I disagree. After being Davis today he lacks size and length in every way. At least couch is long as ****. Davis seemed like he has yet to fully develop he almost seems like a sophmore in high school. It was weird. Before I had Davis over Couch but after getting an up close look I am not sure I like him as a prospect as much. Ill give it a few days to complete my verdict so its not just an overreaction.

UM's recruiting strategy at corner has been to secure commitments over the summer so that they know what they have going into the fall season while they wait on bigger names.

Miami has been aggressive pushing for commits at corner, as we reported was a factor in UM parting ways with Chris Steele early last week. Miami was waiting on Steele to decide before moving down their board.

The Canes then brought two corners in last Thursday for visits, one of whom committed in Jarvis Brownlee, and the other in Jaden Davis. Brownlee has been a priority and high on UM's board since he was offered; his spot was there for him to take regardless. However, the parting ways with Steele directly opened up an opportunity for Davis, who was not previously considered a take. A source close to the Davis recruitment told me Davis was given the opportunity to commit on the spot by Manny Diaz. However, Davis' father preferred that Davis take some official visits before deciding, to which Diaz said they would not wait on Davis. Davis left without committing.

In short, Miami had been keeping in touch with Te'Cory Couch and gave him the same opportunity some time after this; Couch hopped on it.

Those at DB that UM will still make a spot for regardless? Tyrique Stevenson, Mark-Antony Richards, and Akeem Dent. Chris Steele was previously in this tier. I'm also hearing Jordan Battle is pushing his way into this tier as well.

Battle should already be in that tier in my opinion

Advertisement
So we are giving ultimatums to these kids? They either committ now or they will not be in the class? No wonder we have so many kids that are committing only to decommit a few months later. Not digging this at all.

Where was the ultimatum?

It sounds like the coaches basically have Davis, Couch, and Brownlee in the same tier of players, maybe Brownlee is a little ahead. But they probably only have room for 2. They basically just told Davis they couldn't guarantee he'd have a spot if he waited. It's not an ultimatum, it's just letting the kid know the truth.

You hold a spot open or make room for guys at the truly elite level like MAR and Stevenson. There's no reason to hold a spot if (in the staff's opinion) there's someone of equivalent talent who wants to commit instead

Not a big fan of couch. I would of reshuffled the deck at paradise. I mean there is still kids like Dixon out of Tampa available. Not a fan of just taking a commitment just because it would be an early commitment.
Agree with everything except the couch comment. He’s a baller

Last edited:
Advertisement
so this is the 'bird in the hand' approach to recruiting. As long as the quality of player is sufficient I think it's fine.

Advertisement
I disagree. After being Davis today he lacks size and length in every way. At least couch is long as ****. Davis seemed like he has yet to fully develop he almost seems like a sophmore in high school. It was weird. Before I had Davis over Couch but after getting an up close look I am not sure I like him as a prospect as much. Ill give it a few days to complete my verdict so its not just an overreaction.
No buddy, you’re not overreacting. I also believe Couch is the better prospect because of length. Gogeta nailed it when he spoke about Couch on Monday I believe because that’s exactly what I was thinking, and now you are saying the same.

So our S & CB board is as follows

1. Stevenson
2. Richards
3. Dent
4. Battle
5. Brownlee
6. Smith
7. Good
8. Couch

And we have commits from the bottom 4

Seems like an odd way to recruit but I guess the staff doesn’t want to get burned for the 3rd year in a row by their top guys

Advertisement
Back