The Story on Jaden Davis

But that makes sense to me! If there is a 4* kid on D in our area why go after the 4* OOS? That's Al Golden BS. Now if we are turning down 5* OOS kids in favor our local 3* kids then that is where I have a problem. But doesn't seem like that is happening.

And for what its worth, we gave Chris Steele (OOS kid) every chance in the world to prove he was interested before we finally let him go. Then we moved on to local kids.

Who are the two AZ kids? E. Blades?
Nope. Both 2020 kids.

Advertisement
I think we got the best three available after Elam, who wasn't interested. Not worried at all about Couch's weight. Felder will have us fans complaining he's fighting for a DT spot with Deejay Dallas after a few months of an S&C and nutrition program.

I like Davis' game. He played a lot more than Blades last season which shows he can compete, and he'll make a good if not great college player. But I question his maturity. Early on, he was all UF, even a little negative about Miami, then he flipped and became pro Miami and anti UF.

I realize it's all fun for a young guy of 16 or 17. But he just seemed "unfocused" to me, and the type of kid who might jump ship late in the day if we did give him a hard offer. Whereas I expect Good and Couch will be locked and loaded, and become ambassadors for the class.

Not 100% about Brownlee after his interview. We'll have to see about that. Hopefully just a deer in the headlights moment.

Van Dyke weighed 150 pounds soaking wet when he arrived in Coral Gables. He turned out to be a good player for us. Couch is the type of kid who comes back in bites us. Goes off somewhere else and has a nice college career. If Michigan wanted the kid who historically produces some pretty good DBs, then this kid has some skills.

You have Smith very low. They were very high on him before he committed and still are.

I also agree with Stefan that when Couch does commit, I don’t think all 3 of the corners will stay in the class. I understand and like the upside of Good but I’m under the impression that they will still be evaluating him this season. If a big fish like Battle or Dent wants in, they will make room. Idk if this has been noted but Battle can play corner as well, although being recruited at safety. OSU is recruiting him as a corner.

They are recruiting Richards purely as an athlete but as Stefan mentioned before. They have been talking about CB with him too. He can play it. I love his upside at safety though, I did the same way with Frierson too but it has payed off so far at CB. People can say what they want about Rumph as a recruiter but the man can coach.

So IMO it sounds like the DB class could go a few ways -

1a - Ideal**

CBs - Brownlee, Dent

S - Stevenson, Smith, Battle

ATH - Richards

Dropped - Good, Couch

1b -

CBs - Brownlee, Couch or Good

ATH - Richards

Missed - Dent

Dropped - Couch or Good

2a -

CBs - Brownlee, Couch, Good

S - Stevenson, Smith

ATH - Richards

Missed - Dent, Battle

2b - Worse Case

S - Smith

ATH - Richards

Missed - Dent, Battle, Stevenson

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am not too caught up on size..but I don't want a roster full of 5'8-5'10 kids in my secondary either. The game has changed. 2 or 3 is enough.

People keep bringing up Phillip B but he was the only 5'9 kid that Butch recruited playing CB IIRC. Markese Fitz was like 5'11. Rumph as 6'1. Rolle was 6'0...You take a 5'9 kid if he is a freak like PB was obviously. I am not seeing any PBs in this class or the last.

Mo Sykes wasn't much taller than Phillip B either.

So how tall were the guys that we just took in the '18 class? They are taller 5'10 or 5'11 and can really play I will take all day long. there's plenty of 6'1 bums out here .. Corn Elder was little and at one point was projected top 3 round guy and he wasn't even a DB in HS.

I don't propose we intentionally sign a class full of DB's under 6'0 but if a guy is 5'10 or 5'11 vs a guy 6'0 your splitting hairs we've missed a lot of good DBs overly concerned about an in or two

90% of those kids who decommitted were dropped. All the 2019 kids who decommitted were dropped, Miami hasn’t recruited them for a long time.

Exceptions like Dent, Manuel, Burton & Avantae. To a smaller extent Pierre which I noted that the staff was not going to fight to keep him in my last recruiting update. With a good chance that Miami could pull Avantae back in to that 2020 class.

Dent was honestly the case that FSU was able to get his brother in. Manuel money position is as a TE on the next level.

I don't disagree. Are teams selling him on playing WR & a fat signing bonus then? Everyone know where TEU is..

One of the reasons the staff is taking so many more corners could be Al Blades. He is a really good athlete but his coverage skills just are not there. I feel he would be much better at safety or even striker.
I mentioned a long time ago that I felt he’d be a perfect Nickel Safety. Always felt he was a bit of a tweener. The athleticism and size is all there.

Man I hope we make a push with Battle. If you haven’t watched that dudes tape yet, I highly encourage you to do so. That boy has a little Ed Reed to his game.

Advertisement
So our S & CB board is as follows

1. Stevenson
2. Richards
3. Dent
4. Battle
5. Brownlee
6. Smith
7. Good
8. Couch

And we have commits from the bottom 4

Seems like an odd way to recruit but I guess the staff doesn’t want to get burned for the 3rd year in a row by their top guys

You will find room for any of the top 4, period. Not all are corners. You take Richards as an athlete.

So IMO it sounds like the DB class could go a few ways -

1a - Ideal**

CBs - Brownlee, Dent

ATH - Richards

Dropped - Good, Couch

1b -

CBs - Brownlee, Couch or Good

ATH - Richards

Missed - Dent

Dropped - Couch or Good

2a -

S - Stevenson, Smith

ATH - Richardson

Missed - Dent, Battle

2b - Worse Case

S - Smith

ATH - Richards

Missed - Dent, Battle, Stevenson

Good breakdown.

I see 2a and 2b as the most realistic. Dent isn’t happening and Battle is a long shot. Stevenson has and will continue to be the make or break for this class.

Advertisement
One of the reasons the staff is taking so many more corners could be Al Blades. He is a really good athlete but his coverage skills just are not there. I feel he would be much better at safety or even striker.
They know that 3 weeks in? LOL, we just saw blades lock down elite receivers at the opening and have a good week in the Under Armour game , win multiple db mvps at camps but now blades can’t cover? Sounds like more speculation going on that doesn’t need to be had period....

Quit making sh*t up ,they are taking a lot of corners because we lost Malek Young already and for sure are losing 2 with Michael Jackson and dean gone after the season. Leaving Miami with only 5 corners again next season(frierson, Ivey, bandy, blades, bethel).

Blades might be the most physically imposing db that we signed at corner last year and that says a lot considering we have frierson and Ivey out there who are big as **** too. No doubt in my mind that rumph will coach blades up very well period

Last edited:
In totality, there's never a set number the coaching staff has, it's always a range. The general baseline would be 23-27; the higher end if UM hits on their top targets, the lower end if they do not. As I'm sure you're aware, Richt is not a fan of filling spots just to fill them, and will go under the scholarship limit if UM misses on too many top targets.

As for corner, I've heard multiple numbers throughout the cycle since it began in February. Originally it was one, then the board expanded as UM found more prospects it liked. Then it was two with a CB/S swing spot available. Now it's three. A lot will also depend on what position Mark-Antony Richards decides to play if he signs with Miami and if he makes that decision in advance or sometime after he signs.

And I agree with your second statement. I don't believe all three current corner commits (Good, Brownlee, Couch) will ultimately sign with UM.

And that means someone is forced out. I don't like that policy one single bit. If that's the way we play the game then we get what we deserve when on NSD we are left at the alter by the Campbells of the world.

Again if all 3 are committed and one eventually leaves(couch(I want Him on the team, brownlee(ok with), good(nope)
Why take an early commit of good in the first place?

Advertisement
Jaden Davis lacks real long speed and is not that large in stature. Best 200m in track this past season was 23.58. National HS elite time here is 22.00
Jaden Davis

Sheldrick Redwine in HS was a much bigger 6-1 and 190 had better times in his HS track, and he is not a speedster.
Sheldrick Redwine

Te'Cory Couch has run a an official 100m--10.85 (just off the national elite standard of 10.80) and long jumped 21-10 just 2 inches off the national elite standard.

Last edited:
Again if all 3 are committed and one eventually leaves(couch(I want Him on the team, brownlee(ok with), good(nope)
Why take an early commit of good in the first place?

Gonna play devils advocate as I talked about this with Stefan, Erick and Dmoney the other day. On one hand maybe it was early to take him, but what happens if the kid blows up this year? There is no denying his speed or size, he does have potential. For that same token, if he blows up and we weren’t on him, folks on here would be ****ed and asking why we didn’t get on him early.

I see no issue in it. Evaluations can change, we saw it with a few kids in ‘19 where staff stopped contacting. Some kids regress, some improve, etc.

2a is how this will play out.

CB - Good, Brownlee, Couch
S - Stevenson, Smith
ATH - Richards

That's exactly how the DB board will shake out in February. I don't believe Battle ends up here. JMO.

Advertisement
Back