The Sh*t is about to hit the fan for the NCAA

Wouldn't introducing money change college sports to something almost unrecognizable? Most schools wouldn't be able to afford paying players across all sports and fund non revenue generating sports like they do now. So we'd go from 119 schools in CFB to something much smaller, including losing P5 schools. If there's no salary cap, only the richest will thrive, if there is a salary cap, bags will still be a determining factor for top-tier recruits because they wouldn't be paid their true market value. If the NCAA does an about-face and starts heavily policing bags, sure you'd end up with parity, but then a team being located in a fertile recruiting ground completely loses its advantage. And at that point you'll just end up with NFL Lite.

Advertisement
The problem with no cap, is it just goes right back to where we are now with the schools with the biggest spending boosters signing every good player. Boosters will use "endorsement money" to just buy every player. I mean if the goal is transparency and a level playing field, this would solve nothing.
Everyone with big money in Tuscaloosa is usually a booster. Miami has people with big money who are boosters and those who aren't. Those who aren't a booster have a product that could benefit from an endorsement. Miami is a much bigger market than Tuscaloosa. There are much more opportunities to make money in Miami.

It's no different than the pros. The larger markets win. LeBron didn't leave Cleveland for Miami and LA just to be in the sun. He left bc there are more opportunities. Small market teams like Milwaukee rarely sign blockbuster FA.

Everyone with big money in Tuscaloosa is usually a booster. Miami has people with big money who are boosters and those who aren't. Those who aren't a booster have a product that could benefit from an endorsement. Miami is a much bigger market than Tuscaloosa. There are much more opportunities to make money in Miami.

It's no different than the pros. The larger markets win. LeBron didn't leave Cleveland for Miami and LA just to be in the sun. He left bc there are more opportunities. Small market teams like Milwaukee rarely sign blockbuster FA.

Good points. I'm just skeptical. The problem is almost every major university is in a small market. I guess it would be cool for us but I'm trying to remain unbiased.

Good points. I'm just skeptical. The problem is almost every major university is in a small market. I guess it would be cool for us but I'm trying to remain unbiased.
It will be a huge win for us, USC, Houston, GT or any other team in a large market.

Tbh I can't even forsee what the landscape would look like exactly. CFB would change drastically, I do know that. If there would even be a CFB and NCAA is even in question.

This is a good read that I stumbled upon this morning.

Disagree that the balance of power would fall solely to large market cities. There is a massive booster infrastructure at places like Tuscaloosa that teams like Miami wouldn't be able to come anywhere close to matching. That is where most CFB players money would come from, the boosters, not the GDP of the city itself.

Advertisement

I think this is where people underestimate Miami’s potential.

As far as university boosters, Miami has zero shot to compete with the sec and Texas oil money.

Getting corporate sponsorship for the national U brand could be a game changer in terms of creating lucrative packages that would interest top flight recruits.

It would come down to selling this potential to the companies. If it were just about money the Texas schools would kill recruiting now. There is more at play.

We can’t compete with the secret bag game. However, with a creative can do perspective and creative marketing strategies, I wouldn’t be surprised that the player likeness issue could bring Miami back on a more equal footing than is the case now.

Miami became a 6x national champion by being on the cutting edge and leaning on its unique strengths. We got lazy and entitled and the whole thing fell apart.

People never thought Miami could compete with the old guard of cfb until we crushed them.

We can do the same now but it won’t happen whining about our disadvantages. Schnelly proved it. If one man didn’t believe Miami could be a power, we would be Duke.

Think about that.

And also by far the most economically prosperous. More states should try to be backwards.

with the highest income disparity, poverty rate, and sales taxes in the country, all while they're also drowning in debt and literal human *****. the economic prosperity is there for elites and tech giants while the middle class continues to suffer. california is a ****hole.

If this were ever to pass and become acceptable for the NCAA, the disparity between the SEC and the rest of the college world will widen. Football is king there, and by a wide margin. They will take advantage of this in every conceivable way to benefit their golden egg.

I just spent a week in Canada. They can have California. They are made for each other
with the highest income disparity, poverty rate, and sales taxes in the country, all while they're also drowning in debt and literal human *****. the economic prosperity is there for elites and tech giants while the middle class continues to suffer. california is a ****hole.

Sure, it's not perfect. But it is very accepting of immigrants which drives up the poverty rate. It has 5 of the best ~30 universities in the country, and dozens of other really good ones. Weather and food are fantastic. "****hole" is laughable.

No need to respond, I've lost interest.

Advertisement
Sure, it's not perfect. But it is very accepting of immigrants which drives up the poverty rate. It has 5 of the best ~30 universities in the country, and dozens of other really good ones. Weather and food are fantastic. "****hole" is laughable.

Im glad they are so accepting of illegals. Lol

Ive gained interest. Please respond.

If this were ever to pass and become acceptable for the NCAA, the disparity between the SEC and the rest of the college world will widen. Football is king there, and by a wide margin. They will take advantage of this in every conceivable way to benefit their golden egg.

On the contrary, this has the SEC shakin' in their jorts, the SEC's one of the conferences California's hemorrhaging recruits to.

I'd rather pitch products in Hollywood, than pitch cow **** in Tucaloozer, Alabammer.

Are you talking about accepting of illegals or immigrants? Those two are not the same. My wife's parents came to this country legally and were considered immigrants to the U.S. Those that don't come here legally, or over stay their visas, don't deserve to be lumped into the immigrant category with all those that do it legally. Why we allow illegals to take center stage over those that do it legally is beyond my comprehension. True immigrants are pushed further back while places like California continue to roll out the tax payer red carpet for those that have cheated the system.

Advertisement
The fair pay to play act unanimously passed another sub committee 9-0. The chairman said "I don't take fondly to threats to the state of California". If passed the law would go into effect in January 2023.

I don't see how the NCAA stops it. The end game will be the P5 breaking off from the NCAA.

Disagree that the balance of power would fall solely to large market cities. There is a massive booster infrastructure at places like Tuscaloosa that teams like Miami wouldn't be able to come anywhere close to matching. That is where most CFB players money would come from, the boosters, not the GDP of the city itself.

That’s what these simpletons don’t get. They’ve never understood the demographics, and weakness, of Miami’s booster base. I doubt we're even top 25 in terms of booster wealth/participation/giving.

And whatever new system may or may not be implemented, schools like Alabama will still game the system to their benefit. They’ll figure out a way to pay even more under the table. Believe me. That’s their history.

That’s what these simpletons don’t get. They’ve never understood the demographics, and weakness, of Miami’s booster base. I doubt we're even top 25 in terms of booster wealth/participation/giving.

And whatever new system may or may not be implemented, schools like Alabama will still game the system to their benefit. They’ll figure out a way to pay even more under the table. Believe me. That’s their history.
Agree 100%. The idea that a college program like Houston would be the biggest beneficiaries because it is a large city is ludicrous. The comparison professional athletes to paid college players doesnt hold water. In the pros, they are getting massive contracts wherever they go, so other things like the points Rev is making above come much more into play. For college kids in a pay system, sure, there could be some offers here and there to get endorsement money and stuff like that. But the VAST majority of the money that would reach most players' hands would be huge stacks of cash from boosters. Period.

We're not talking about players who are already getting paid millions and are looking for something more on the side. Were talking about kids who have absolutely nothing and will therefore agree to go to the school where a booster has promised to give them a quarter million a year. The end result would simply be the rich getting richer; programs like bama and ohio state and texas becoming like the Yankees, not a small program in a large city like Houston suddenly becoming a football goliath.

Advertisement
You guys realize at almost every school football funds almost the entire athletic program. Is it worth it to pay football players of it means there are no scholarships for most other sports?

You guys realize at almost every school football funds almost the entire athletic program. Is it worth it to pay football players of it means there are no scholarships for most other sports?

Many universities are already under fire for raising tuition to stay competitive in football. I see a lot of programs folding so many should be careful of what they are wishing for.

Advertisement
Back