The Sh*t is about to hit the fan for the NCAA

Advertisement

This will get ugly...and threats aside... this is is not a battle the NCAA will win in the long run.

Preventing someone from benefiting from & controlling their own image will prove to be impossible.
There will always be a leg to stand on as long as athletic FULL RIDE scholarships are awarded. Its a doubhle edged sword, and NO ONE has a good solution to it.

I think players and institutions should have an agreement that states a player must be compensated for monetary gains off of one's 'image', benefited to the institution and/or governing party, but not until an individual has completed any and all enrollment or involvement with the institution and/or governing body.

In other words, you get your money when you're done with college, and yes it would be paid by the college or ncaa.

There will always be a leg to stand on as long as athletic FULL RIDE scholarships are awarded. Its a doubhle edged sword, and NO ONE has a good solution to it.

I think players and institutions should have an agreement that states a player must be compensated for monetary gains off of one's 'image', benefited to the institution and/or governing party, but not until an individual has completed any and all enrollment or involvement with the institution and/or governing body.

In other words, you get your money when you're done with college, and yes it would be paid by the college or ncaa.

Sounds good to me....but this won't be stopped.

Signing a scholarship doesn't mean that you've signed ALL your rights as an individual and citizen away

Last edited:
The NCAA CAN DO something that people would find it hard to argue with. They can start earmarking a fair percentage of "name" related merchandize sales and put the money it into a medical insurance fund for post playing years of NCAA players.

I played NAIA Ball, I'd estimate of all the people I know that played college football at any level 90% have had at least one operation related to Football related injuries. My O-line started together for 4 years - I'm the only one of the five who hasn't had at elast two football related opeartions.

This will get ugly...and threats aside... this is is not a battle the NCAA will win in the long run.

Preventing someone from benefiting from & controlling their own image will prove to be impossible.
All laws that have been changed start in California and work they way through the rest of th United States! It’s just a matter of time.

Advertisement
A lot of people here dont seem to realize that these kids are signing a contract. And in that contract could be anything. It could say that they forfeit their rights to profit off of their own image.

It's about putting the team and the schools image above your own image, and preventing things from getting out of hand.

It's not necessarily how I feel about it, but if you sign the contract, you're bound to it.

I still don't understand how a full ride scholarship, free housing, a monthly stipend to pay for whatever you want, and all the behind the scenes benefits aren't enough for some people. Unbelievable greed.

Extra money could be put into a profit-sharing program. If you stay the full 4 years, stay out of trouble, and graduate, you get an equal cut of those 4 years. Same with healthcare related to sports injuries.

IMAGINE if you allow Stanford to pay athletes. Third largest endowment in the nation.

That would KILL Bear Bryant's foundation.

An elite player can study in Silicon Valley, at one of the top 3 schools in the USA and benefit from elite coaching; OR they can venture to outback, KKK country and play at a Paper Mill (i.e. a school with a worthless diploma).

If California starts paying, the FOundations are now useless!!!

A lot of people here dont seem to realize that these kids are signing a contract. And in that contract could be anything. It could say that they forfeit their rights to profit off of their own image.

It's about putting the team and the schools image above your own image, and preventing things from getting out of hand.

It's not necessarily how I feel about it, but if you sign the contract, you're bound to it.

I still don't understand how a full ride scholarship, free housing, a monthly stipend to pay for whatever you want, and all the behind the scenes benefits aren't enough for some people. Unbelievable greed.

I don’t think that monthly stipend is paying for enough. Many of these guys have children. That’s not cheap.

When the O'Bannon case first started to make waves, this was similar to the idea that I had. There should be a licensing agreement in which players are allowed to sign that ensures every player whose likeness is used for video games (what O'Bannon was originally suing about) is compensated "X" amount of dollars. The video game company would have to pay a certain licensing fee that would be evenly distributed among every player that signed away his rights to his image. Similar to how the players' associations work in the professional leagues. Every player who signed the licensing agreement would then be awarded "X" dollars for every year his image was used upon his eligibility expiring. If a player did not want his image or likeness used, he could opt to not sign the agreement and his likeness would not be available.

Advertisement

Extra money could be put into a profit-sharing program. If you stay the full 4 years, stay out of trouble, and graduate, you get an equal cut of those 4 years. Same with healthcare related to sports injuries.

I don’t believe it’s greedy to want a bigger share of an ever-growing market. Especially when you are the product being sold.

Was just about to start a thread on this, but OP beat me to it. California extremists about to start the downfall of the NCAA...I won't shed a tear for the corrupt NCAA...

Let's just see if college football is replaced by something worse ...maybe another unaccountable, bureaucratic federal college sports regulatory agency.

We don't need another swamp entity running college sports...soon they'll have mandated numbers of women playing college football, transexual men dominating college women's track and field and basketball, men and women sharing unisex locker rooms....eventually we'll be looking back with nostalgia for the days of the corrupt NCAA.
Facts

Advertisement

Contracts aren't as simple as you signed it that's it. I don't understand how any capitalist would be ok with the current system.

So I'm not allowed to be a professional football player at 18. So I go to college as a five star and make the university millions of dollars but I'm not entitled to a dime and I can't go out on my own and make money off of my name?

I understand not everyone is a five star so you can't pay everyone so does that mean don't pay anyone. There has to be a middle ground.

And getting tuition free and top notch coaching isn't fair compensation for the top guys like a Zion.

I get your contract point and it is fair to assume in a free market that an athlete wouldn't sign such a deal, but when the NCAA has you by the balls and you have no negotiating power what can you do?

Contracts aren't as simple as you signed it that's it. I don't understand how any capitalist would be ok with the current system.

So I'm not allowed to be a professional football player at 18. So I go to college as a five star and make the university millions of dollars but I'm not entitled to a dime and I can't go out on my own and make money off of my name?

I understand not everyone is a five star so you can't pay everyone so does that mean don't pay anyone. There has to be a middle ground.

And getting tuition free and top notch coaching isn't fair compensation for the top guys like a Zion.
Yes contracts are that simple. As long as they're legal.

People are only looking out for themselves and its beyond selfish. Giving players more power/money is just going to lead to more problems for them, and schools. ESPECIALLY MIAMI!

If we let our players have all the money in the world, would they be focusing on football? Would they care about putting in extra work in the weight room, or film room? NO. They'd be at the club, or cruising around town getting in constant trouble.

17 and 18 year olds dont need millions of dollars. Schools can barely contain these players stupid behavior as it is, and have to sweep **** under the rug constantly. Now imagine all these players have unlimited money. Unimaginable trouble. Under your system you'd have 5 star kids getting rich and lower rated kids making nothing. Im sure that wouldnt cause any strife in the locker room right?

Its what makes college football better than the NFL. The players are working their asses off for the chance at making it big.

The "middle-ground" you speak of is what I said in my first post. A profit sharing program. Take 25% of the income from ticket and football merch sales and put it in a pot every year. If a player graduates, stays out of trouble, and stays for 4 years, they get their equal cut from each of the 4 years pots. A nice incentive to stick around for 4 years. Your system would have kids leave after one year which is terrible for literally every team.

You have to look at the second and third order effects instead of just whats right in front of your face.

Advertisement
People sign noncompete and no outside income agreements all the time. But many of these guys are minors who can't contract.......

Last edited:
Emmert's going to want to revise his approach on this. As soon as California passes that bill, other states are likely going to adopt it as well. I'm hoping this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA.

I don't need this to be the end of the NCAA as opposed to the end of Emmert. The NCAA was just fine before this bytch took office.

As long as we get this ************ idc what happens..:

FD0B4747-7057-47ED-B3AD-E76216643001.jpeg

Advertisement
Back